Windows 10: BSOD more frequent after changing CPU cooler

Discus and support BSOD more frequent after changing CPU cooler in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello all, I'm in desperate for help, as I've been getting a variety of BSOD. Please help! This computer is less than 1 yr old. 2 weekends ago I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Jordandr, May 11, 2020.

1. Jordandr Win User

BSOD more frequent after changing CPU cooler

Hello all,

I'm in desperate for help, as I've been getting a variety of BSOD. Please help!

This computer is less than 1 yr old. 2 weekends ago I changed out my CPU Cooler to a Noctua cooler. It is worth noting that the process wasn't smooth, and I got thermal paste on the side of the chip and a tiny speck on the bottom barely touching a pin I know, stupid of me. I thoroughly cleaned it, put it back in, then applied the cooler. I applied it backwards the first time and needed to rotate it to correctly attach it to the CPU. I had BSOD's before this, not not nearly as frequently.

After that point, I started getting BSOD at least once every session. They almost always happened:

1. Within 5 minutes of waking it up/turning on
    2. While playing a game

The three different types I've gotten are:

1. KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL
    2. KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    3. KERNEL_AUTO_bOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE

Specs are:

• Ryzen 5 3600
    • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite
    • G.Skill 16 GB DDR4-3200
    • Samsung 970 Evo 500gb
    • GTX 1060 3gb
    • Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold

Additionally, I am unable to update to the newest Windows 10 2020-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems KB4549951. When I try to update it gets to 100% and says Error 0x800f0831. I don't know if this happened before or after the main problem.

Now from what I've gathered, there are a few possible explanations for this:

• I need to remount the CPU cooler. I could have applied it incorrectly and the CPU could be overheating. This explains crashing while playing games, but I don't think this explains it crashing when I first wake it up / turn it on. Easiest solution, i'd even put back on the original cooler to see if that helps.
    • The PSU could be causing this. That explains the turn on/wake up crashes, and maybe the game crashes too. However this is a highly rated PSU that is also brand new. Could it be broken?

Programs I've downloaded and can use however necessary:

• Speccy
    • WhoCrashed
    • SFC /SCANNOW
      • Diagnostic tool not program
    • OCCT

I'm willing to provide any info anyone needs to help me here, as I'm really out of my league. Thank you for the help!

Below is the information WhoCrashed found tonight, I really don't know how to translate it.

System Information local
    Computer name: DESKTOP-L18BEVF
    Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, version 1903, build: 18362
    Windows dir: C:\Windows
    Hardware: X570 AORUS ELITE, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor AMD8664, level: 23
    12 logical processors, active mask: 4095
    RAM: 17125584896 bytes 15.9GB
    Crash Dump Analysis
    Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.
    Crash dump directories:
    C:\Windows
    C:\Windows\Minidump
    On Mon 5/11/2020 9:24:36 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe nt!memset+0x8818
    Bugcheck code: 0x162 0xFFFFAE8A5D986040, 0xFFFFBE811D0EC6D0, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0x0
    Error: KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE
    Bug check description: This indicates that a lock tracked by AutoBoost was released by a thread that did not own the lock.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.
    On Mon 5/11/2020 7:54:27 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051120-9343-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ene.sys 0xFFFFF80456411E10
    Bugcheck code: 0x1E 0xFFFFFFFFC000001D, 0xFFFFF80456411E10, 0xFFFFCA0AB9309080, 0x0
    Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ene.sys
    Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
    This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating thermal issue or because of a buggy driver.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ene.sys .
    Google query: ene.sys KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    On Mon 5/11/2020 3:30:12 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051120-8609-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe nt+0x1C1220
    Bugcheck code: 0x157 0xFFFFE0825FBB8080, 0x1, 0x2, 0x0
    Error: KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that an illegal operation was attempted on the priority floor of a particular thread.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.
    On Mon 5/11/2020 9:24:36 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051120-10593-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x162 0xFFFFAE8A5D986040, 0xFFFFBE811D0EC6D0, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0x0
    Error: KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE
    Bug check description: This indicates that a lock tracked by AutoBoost was released by a thread that did not own the lock.
    On Fri 5/8/2020 7:57:31 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050820-10687-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x192 0xFFFFBD050A9DE040, 0xFFFFCF8E62FC9B50, 0x0, 0x0
    Error: KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL
    Bug check description: This indicates that a lock tracked by AutoBoost was acquired while executing at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
    This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
    On Thu 5/7/2020 8:28:22 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050720-10828-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x192 0xFFFFA70E2E1C5080, 0xFFFFF80481265B30, 0x0, 0x0
    Error: KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL
    Bug check description: This indicates that a lock tracked by AutoBoost was acquired while executing at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
    This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
    Conclusion
    6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:
    ene.sys
    If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.
    Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.
    Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

:)

Jordandr, May 11, 2020

2. Need Help with "Ejectable" CPU Cooler

Thanks a lot to both of your responses and the swiftness of your answers! I really appreciate it.

I can't seem to figure out how to @ mention users on here, so I hope that the two of you are notified of my reply.

@Greg Carmack

Unfortunately, the link that you provided did not resolve my issue, as the cooler does not appear as a drive in File Explorer or Disk Management.

@Abhishek Das

I don't have another CPU cooler to test. The CPU cooler is not showing as a storage device in Device Manager. It's showing as one of the USB devices. Do you suggest that I flash the motherboard in the BIOS? This is out of the question. There are no pending
    updates. I just checked manually.

TenthMite280413, May 11, 2020
  3. Which CPU Cooler?

Hi! I couldn't decide on which liquid CPU cooler to get so I decided to ask TenForums.

I want a good CPU cooler that liquid cools because those are better.

My max budget for a liquid CPU cooler is $70 so if you recommend one that isn't on this list, please reply it.

If possible, LEDs please.

Here is my Build: (I know there is no CPU cooler): Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming, SPEC-ALPHA ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

Here are the ones I'm thinking about:

Corsair H60 V1: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (H60 (CW-9060007-WW)) - PCPartPicker

Corsair H60 V2: Corsair H60 74.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH60) - PCPartPicker

ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 120: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 120 74.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (ACFRE00016A) - PCPartPicker

NZXT Kraken X31: NZXT Kraken X31 69.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (RL-KRX31-01) - PCPartPicker

Thank you in advance.

TeenTechie, May 11, 2020
  4. 24C
    24c Win User

CPU cooler ?

The White Whale is now up and running - thanks to all the good info I got here.
    I synced all the cores, as was suggested here, according to Task Manager - the CPU is running a 4.69 GHz - not bad.
    I intend to leave all alone for awhile, finish software install and updates.
    Let me just say that this case is BIG!

I set it up with the laptop showing the online mobo manual - literally by the numbers - following instructions is a wonderful thing

Again, thanks for all the good info

BSOD more frequent after changing CPU cooler [​IMG]

BSOD more frequent after changing CPU cooler [​IMG]

Thema:

1. BSOD more frequent after changing CPU cooler - Similar Threads - BSOD more frequent

2. fortnite stuttering after new cpu and cooler install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    fortnite stuttering after new cpu and cooler install: the game used to run fine over 200 fps and after install it constantly stutters it goes to 2-16fps for a few secconds then goes back to 200plusi upgraded from a ryzen 5 pro 3350g to a ryzen 9 5600xand the cooler i got is nzxt kraken my gpu is rtx 3060timy motherboard is msi...
  3. fortnite stuttering after new cpu and cooler install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    fortnite stuttering after new cpu and cooler install: the game used to run fine over 200 fps and after install it constantly stutters it goes to 2-16fps for a few secconds then goes back to 200plusi upgraded from a ryzen 5 pro 3350g to a ryzen 9 5600xand the cooler i got is nzxt kraken my gpu is rtx 3060timy motherboard is msi...
  4. CPU at 75 degree celcius at idle even after replacing CPU cooler.

CPU at 75 degree celcius at idle even after replacing CPU cooler.: Hello, my pc has the following specs:CPU- Intel core i3 2120 3.3GHZMotherboard- Zebronics ZEB- H61 socket 1155RAM - 8gb ddr 1333mhzHDD - 1TB 7200RPM from consistentCase- Zebronics ZEB-BING cabinetFans - no fans other than cpu cooler and psu fanI cleaned up my pc a few days...
  5. CPU at 75 degree celcius at idle even after replacing CPU cooler.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU at 75 degree celcius at idle even after replacing CPU cooler.: Hello, my pc has the following specs:CPU- Intel core i3 2120 3.3GHZMotherboard- Zebronics ZEB- H61 socket 1155RAM - 8gb ddr 1333mhzHDD - 1TB 7200RPM from consistentCase- Zebronics ZEB-BING cabinetFans - no fans other than cpu cooler and psu fanI cleaned up my pc a few days...
  6. More frequent than normal BSODs

More frequent than normal BSODs: My current laptop, a Dell G15 5510 running windows 11 has been getting more blue screens than any laptop ive had before. Most have error codes relating to the gpu driver, but the nvidia drivers are up to date from nvidias app. Here are the Minidumps and system information...
  7. BSOD occurring more and more frequent

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD occurring more and more frequent: Good day, im trying to find out whats causing my BSOD when im using my pc but to no luck, i keep getting this irql_not_less_or_equal. then i tried to follow this link hoping to get some answers:...
  8. CPU Cooler Changing Noob a Few Questions regarding that

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CPU Cooler Changing Noob a Few Questions regarding that: Hello as a very very noob for changing CPU coolers, eventually gonna ugprade from my Stock Intel 10700 Cooler, to possibly a Aftermarket Air or if brave enough my very first AIO Cooler lol. 1. Proper way of removing the Stock Intel 10700 Heatsink without pulling the CPU out...
  9. Need Help with "Ejectable" CPU Cooler

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need Help with "Ejectable" CPU Cooler: Hello, I am writing because I have been running into an issue with my new Windows 10 Professional computer, which uses the CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i PRO. Ever since I've booted up my machine for the first time, I have been seeing the CPU cooler in question as an icon in the...
  10. DIY RGB CPU Stock Cooler

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DIY RGB CPU Stock Cooler: I did something for fun when I recently did a maintenance routine on my daughter's PC. I turned her stock CPU cooler into something like the Cooler Master G100M RGB CPU fan cooler ($58CAD retail price). This one only cost me $8CAD for the Arctic 8Omm PWM Pro fan and $12CAD...