Windows 10: BSOD most often with only internet running

Discus and support BSOD most often with only internet running in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Need help with determining the cause of this periodic crash. Several weeks ago it would crash several times a day. Now with less frequency. Have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Albacore, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Albacore Win User

BSOD most often with only internet running

Need help with determining the cause of this periodic crash. Several weeks ago it would crash several times a day. Now with less frequency. Have uploaded the requested information. Thanks for making this simple.

:)

Albacore, Dec 23, 2016

2. Cannot find/create dumps to upload for crash support

Yes, I am still crashing. Most often ends on bsod: critical process died. If not that, then on a red screen that is followed by shutdown.

Thanks again!

Charlie R S, Dec 23, 2016
  3. BrewerJoe Win User
    OK, I'm stumped and out of ideas (Win10 crashing)

Yes, I have previously investigated updating the BIOS, but I seem to already be running the most recent version (v5.43).

As for errors, I don't often get to the point of attempting the install before my PC BSODs. And more often than not the BSOD is the scrambled version that is in the pic at the link I previously provided in this thread, so it is unreadable. When I do occasionally
    get a readable error, it varies. Often it is the IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal or Memory Management BSOD.

Twice tonight I made it to the install portion and it freezes, at different points in the install, without providing an error.

Also, I have disconnected my 2nd 3TB HDD just to remove that from the list of potential culprits.

I'm now manually doing a 'long format' on the volume using diskpart, outside of the Win10 install process, to see if that gets me anywhere. Looks like it's going to take a while...

BrewerJoe, Dec 23, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi Albacore,

Welcome to the 10forums *Smile

The offending driver is a driver from Acronis, however I cannot find this driver back on your system so I assume you've removed it?

5. Albacore Win User
    axe0

Thanks much.

I had uninstalled Acronis and Maxtor programs a few weeks ago thinking there were some bad drivers as they were old and unused, but the BSODs continued. (Maxtor apparently uses some Acronis files.) After your note, I did find some Maxtor files on my C drive that my son had buried, and I deleted them. I did find a left over Acronis file in one of the Maxtor folders, a "schedule2.exe." A search about this found one reference that stated MS used it in Windows and a potential source of instability, and that it was expendable. After finding and shutting it off in Task Manager, I deleted it. Not sure that could be related.

So far no BSODs but need to give it a bit more time. Would have been lost without your help.

Albacore, Dec 27, 2016
  6. Albacore Win User
    AxeO

I could use a look at the most recent crash log attached.

I had a stretch where the BSODs stopped, but they have now increased in frequency, even happened while trying to create a dump file for this reply. I can not relate this to any opening of a program. It occurs during internet use, but that does not disprove something else happening with the system as the computer is most often used for the intranet.

Thanks much.

Albacore, Jan 10, 2017
  7. philc43 Win User
    I had a look at the recent dump files and they all point to the Acronis Snapshots Manager driver (snapman.sys) as being the culprit.

Code: BugCheck 100000B8, {ed889700, 8254db40, cdff0de0, 0} Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\snapman.sys, Win32 error 0n2 *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for snapman.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for snapman.sys Probably caused by : snapman.sys ( snapman+1106b )[/quote] I would suggest you remove this software and see if it helps.

philc43, Jan 10, 2017
  8. Albacore Win User

Thanks.

I found snapman.sys and three other files during a search for "snapman" (see attachment). They were located in $Recycle.Bin\Recycle Bin. I deleted all files in the recycle bin and a repeat search found them gone.

I will give it a few days to see if that is the fix. But is that possible for one or more of these files to cause a BSOD when residing in the recycle bin?

Thank you again!

Albacore, Jan 11, 2017
  9. philc43 Win User
    Has it also gone from the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder?

philc43, Jan 11, 2017
  10. Albacore Win User
    There appears to be something more to this snapman.sys file.

I did find it where you suspected. Perhaps rashly, I deleted it. I then restarted the computer as a test, and it proceeded to BSOD, "inaccessible boot drive". On the third restart attempt it went into diagnostic auto repair without resolution. I proceeded to advanced repair with its long search. After about 40 minutes I came back and found my login screen and I was back into Windows. I immediately checked the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder and there it was, snapman.sys. It was not in the Trash bin.

What do you think? I have attached the most recent dump file if that should be useful.

Thanks.

Albacore, Jan 11, 2017
  11. philc43 Win User
    I think you have now found the cause of your problem. Somehow you need to remove all traces of this Acronis software. There is a registry setting which is installing this driver and it is clearly impacting the boot process. Do you know if the Acronis support team provide a way to completely remove their software. I do not have personal experience of this particular package and tend to steer well clear of things like this for obvious reasons.

philc43, Jan 11, 2017
  12. philc43 Win User
    philc43, Jan 11, 2017
  13. Albacore Win User

Thanks for the additional help.

I checked that out. It advises to delete specific things in the registry. However, my further reading found that different Acronis programs leave different remnants on uninstall. I am unsure what was the original Acronis program. So I will create some back ups and give this a try.

However, the instructions on the link are not entirely clear. I did find a folder in the registry labeled Snapman at the location per the instructions and within in it is a string that has a data title with snapman in it, others not. So when they say "Delete all strings containing snapman keys from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services", not sure if I should delete the whole Snapman folder, or only the one string within the folder with snapman listed. One of the other strings has a data title "Acronis Snapshot Manager."

Albacore, Jan 12, 2017
  14. philc43 Win User
    Try some of the other links that you can find from a Google search - they may be more clear. You do have to be careful with Registry changes so always make a system restore point and take registry key backups in case anything goes wrong.

philc43, Jan 12, 2017
  15. Albacore Win User
    The fix worked. Idelayed working on this as needed the computer for some critical work and didnot want to create a worse BSOD problem.
    I started with guidance from Removing Acronis SnapAPI Drivers | Knowledge Basebut my effort failed, principally due to my not understanding the instructions. I found clearer instructions for 1620 at Getting rid of snapman.sys | Acronis Forumand using a combination of the two, proved successful.
    It was the snapman.sys and if not removed properly, willcome back from the dead.
    Thank you munch for your help, also thanks to axe0.

Albacore, Mar 22, 2017
Thema:

1. BSOD most often with only internet running - Similar Threads - BSOD often internet

2. Touchpad Becomes Mostly Unresponsive Often

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad Becomes Mostly Unresponsive Often: Hello,Very often on my computer the touchpad becomes mostly unresponsive. What happens is that suddenly the entire middle part of the touchpad won't let you click or drag anywhere, only the very bottom left and right parts will let you right/left click. A workaround is to go...
  3. Touchpad Becomes Mostly Unresponsive Often

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touchpad Becomes Mostly Unresponsive Often: Hello,Very often on my computer the touchpad becomes mostly unresponsive. What happens is that suddenly the entire middle part of the touchpad won't let you click or drag anywhere, only the very bottom left and right parts will let you right/left click. A workaround is to go...
  4. I keep getting multiple BSOD's recently, most often page_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I keep getting multiple BSOD's recently, most often page_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA: Ever since I installed a new NVME SSD, I've been getting BSOD's almost every day. I've tried everything, from repairing all the drives to repairing all the RAM. I still can't seem to find out what's causing the problem here, as the NVME SSD is displayed to be healthy. I've...
  5. BSODs most often when booting, coming from standby or screensaver

BSODs most often when booting, coming from standby or screensaver: Hey all. This post is 6 months too late but after much fiddling, mindless research telling me to run memory tests, 5 OS reinstalls and replacing several hardware items I am coming at my wits end. I have no idea what to do here. I will often get clusters of BSODs, followed by...
  6. Lag and repeated BSODs, most often while gaming, KMODE_EXCEPTION

Lag and repeated BSODs, most often while gaming, KMODE_EXCEPTION: Hey guys, Over the last few days I have been getting rather weird problems that I have never seen before. At times, everything starts to lag, meaning my mouse gets jumpy and scrolling isn't fluid anymore. Weird is that as soon as I start a YouTube Video these lags, as far...
  7. Multiple BSOD on home brew PC - Unexpected_Kernel_Mode_Trap most often

Multiple BSOD on home brew PC - Unexpected_Kernel_Mode_Trap most often: Hi all, hope you can help me. I'm trying to get my recently assembled PC working. I've had many BSOD errors including Unexpected_Kernel_Mode_Trap, DPC_Watchdog_Violation being the main ones with Driver_Power_State_Failure and BSOD Driver_Verifier_Detected_Violation occuring...
  8. BSOD when Running Elite Dangerous mostly.

BSOD when Running Elite Dangerous mostly.: Hi Forums, I had 3 BSO in the past 3 days and I wanted to find out what wascausing them.. The last ne I had occurred on 3-16-17. Istarted EliteDangeous Horizons an the computer BSOD.. I had found heDMP filesand made a report for yous per your Instructions I will upload the...
  9. Frequent BSOD, most often upon login, WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR,

Frequent BSOD, most often upon login, WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR,: Hey all, After the latest Windows 10 update , I'm getting frequent BSODs with the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR message. It usually happens about a minute or two after logging on, but it sometimes doesn't occur until a couple of hours into my normal computer usage (browsing,...
  10. Random BSOD. Most often when playing any game

Random BSOD. Most often when playing any game: Been having this issue recently with BSOD happening most occasionally while playing DOOM, WoW or Heroes of the Storm. Some days there will be no BSOD. Others it will happen 5-10 time in one day. They also happen just while browsing or while the computer is idling alone. I may...