Windows 10: BSOD, no dump created

Discus and support BSOD, no dump created in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Ok, so this is weird. My laptop was working fine after the excellent help I got on the other BSOD, but now it bluescreens at startup and just barely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Glorfindel, Oct 26, 2014.

1. BSOD, no dump created

Ok, so this is weird. My laptop was working fine after the excellent help I got on the other BSOD, but now it bluescreens at startup and just barely flickers the error message before rebooting. Even worse is that it doesn't write any dumps :shocked:
    This started happening after I moved the hiberfile.sys file to see if it would actually start rather than unhibernate.
    I wanted it to do this because I had set the date to 2020 and then forgot to set it back before hibernating. If it tried to start it from the hibernation file it would just say something about being unable to digatally verify the winload.exe file.
    So I moved it to a different partition so it would be basically the same thing as deleting it.
    I figured I could just move it back if it didn't work. It didn't work so I moved it back but in the middle of doing so it died and only part of the file was moved, the rest was deleted.
    So now it is BSODing on me.
    I have read somewhere about how it cannot create a dump if the pagefile is disabled or on a different drive. Would removing pagefile.sys and/or hiberfile.sys help?

:)

Glorfindel, Oct 26, 2014
  2. Number_6 Win User

BSOD - No dump files are created

Already done:

-page files are 16384 + 1 (16GB of RAM, manually set to 1024*16 + 1)

-Firmware of my ssd are uptodate (It worked on windows 8.1)

-Kernel Dump is my active option

-CCleaner is in a strict manual only policy

-Checked for dumps manually

To try:

-Set error report service to manual

-Allow notifications for UAC (I set it to never notify, I didn't disable it, but I'll try)

I'll force a keyboard crash and let you know...

Number_6, Oct 26, 2014
  3. BSOD - No dump files are created

Number_6

For dumps to be produced. . .

▪ Page file must be on OS drive

*If manually set Page file base allocation size must be > than installed physical RAM

*Windows Error Reporting (WER) system service should be set to MANUAL
    *PREFERRED>>>Set page file to system managed on the OS drive
    *Set system crash/recovery options to "kernel Memory Dump"

*User account control must be running.

* Sometimes SSD drives with older firmware do not create DMPS (update firmware)

*Cleaner applications like Ccleaner delete DMP files so dont run them until you are fixed.

Did you check for dumps at C:\windows called MEMORY.DMP?

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Oct 26, 2014
  4. topgundcp Win User

BSOD, no dump created

If you have hibernation enabled, the hiberfile.sys must reside under C:\. You can resize it but You cannot move it. That might be the reason for BSOD.

topgundcp, Oct 27, 2014
  5. I moved it so windows couldn't find it, so that windows saw it as deleted.
    the bsod thing is weird, it bluescreens sometimes, and sometimes Startup Repair starts, and sometimes "Windows couldn't verify the digital signature of winload.exe" errors show.
    Maybe I should have posted this in the troubleshooting subforum instead?

Glorfindel, Oct 27, 2014
  6. usasma Win User
    Memory dump file generation is a complicated topic. I wrote a bit about it here: BSOD Crash Dump Generation
    Dunno if it's the same in Win10, but the only real changes since Vista were the ability to have the dumps sent to another location (other than the boot drive).

See if Event Viewer has anything. Try this:
    Possible fixes are:
    - running Startup Repair
    - running the bootrec.exe commands (/fixmbr; /fixboot; /rebuildbcd)
    - REFRESH the system (should be similar to a REFRESH in Win8/8.1)

usasma, Oct 28, 2014
  7. I will see if I can get that up from the command line or winehq

Glorfindel, Oct 30, 2014
  8. BSOD, no dump created

I couldn't get the event viewer up, I am going to refresh the system.

Glorfindel, Nov 5, 2014
  9. I see to simple choices.
    Leave hibernation on the C partition or turn off hibernation.
    Todays computers boot so quick I believe in most cases hibernation is really not needed.

Here is a good tutorial by Brink that explains things.

Hibernate - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

Layback Bear, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

BSOD, no dump created

1. BSOD, no dump created - Similar Threads - BSOD dump created

2. bsod not creating dump file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bsod not creating dump file: Hello Everyone,I'm having daily blue screen of deaths, but there are no logs available in the minidump folder. Can someone please help me with this? I can't do my work properly...Can someone help me to fix this blue screen?Greetings,...
  3. bsod not creating dump file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bsod not creating dump file: Hello Everyone,I'm having daily blue screen of deaths, but there are no logs available in the minidump folder. Can someone please help me with this? I can't do my work properly...Can someone help me to fix this blue screen?Greetings,...
  4. Windows 11 BSOD error with not creating dump file .

Windows 11 BSOD error with not creating dump file .: I keep getting BSOD error. I have given all driver updates. I have read many posts and i also tried reinstalling windows but still not able to solve it. On the other hand, no dump file is created after setting properly. Small memory dump 256 or kernel, or complete, Automictic...
  5. Computer randomly hangs with no BSOD or dump file created

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer randomly hangs with no BSOD or dump file created: I've been having an issue with my computer for a few months now where it will randomly hang but the mouse can still move and certain things continue. For example, I'm watching a twitch stream and the video will freeze with the loading circle but chat will continue. If I try...
  6. Computer randomly hangs with no BSOD or dump file created

Computer randomly hangs with no BSOD or dump file created: I've been having an issue with my computer for a few months now where it will randomly hang but the mouse can still move and certain things continue. For example, I'm watching a twitch stream and the video will freeze with the loading circle but chat will continue. If I try...
  7. Computer randomly hangs with no BSOD or dump file created

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. BSODs with no dump file created

BSODs with no dump file created: I get a UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION bsod whenever I'm playing Apex Legends or while using Origin launcher.The the main issue I'm facing is that there are not dump files created after this bsod.I have setup my dump config according to this thread:Intermittent BSODs with no dump...
  9. Numerous BSOD errors with no Dump Files beiong created.

Numerous BSOD errors with no Dump Files beiong created.: Hi I am receiving a number of different BSOD crashes, these always occur when using specific programs and happen about 0-5 minutes after launching the program however they also happen sporadically for no reason but a lot less often. the main BSOD errors are: -...
  10. Intermittent BSODs with no dump file created

Intermittent BSODs with no dump file created: My PC has had occasional blue screens for several months. Each time one happens, no dump file is created even though I have configured Windows to do so. The event log contains a volmgr error at the time of the blue screen, with text "Dump file creation failed due to error...