Windows 10: BSOD on boot (critical_process_died), cant boot into safe mode

Discus and support BSOD on boot (critical_process_died), cant boot into safe mode in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; TL:DR: Can't boot (even into safe mode) after removing device 'Intel HD Graphics 4000' (and uninstalling its drivers). Getting critical_process_died... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/leddituser123, May 25, 2020.

1. BSOD on boot (critical_process_died), cant boot into safe mode

TLBSOD on boot (critical_process_died), cant boot into safe mode :DR: Can't boot (even into safe mode) after removing device 'Intel HD Graphics 4000' (and uninstalling its drivers). Getting critical_process_died BSOD.

My specs: Mobo ASRock Z77 Pro4, CPU i5 3570k

I had my integrated GPU (Intel HD Graphics 4000) disabled because it gave me system_thread_exception and system_service_exception BSOD's.

I had visible screen tearing so i decided to try to update the iGPU drivers. Gave same bsod's.

I tried the same in safe mode: removing iGPU device, installing proper drivers, everything worked fine. But system wouldn't boot in normal mode and would recover a previous save.

For some dumb reason i tried to do the same in normal mode. Removed the device 'Intel HD Graphics 4000' and choosing the option to uninstall the current drivers in the meanwhile. Can't boot back up ever since. critical_process_died BSOD. Can't even boot into safe mode. Even installed an old GPU and plugged my monitor into that. Same critical_process_died.

Any ideas on what i could do? I have no system restores of any kind. I only have access to command prompt since i can't boot in safe mode either.

submitted by /u/leddituser123
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/leddituser123, May 25, 2020
  2. ghemberg Win User

Boot-loop with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and no safe mode

Since 2017-07-06, I get a BSOD with stop-code "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED".

Nothing wrong noticed during last succesful boot.

No system maintenance tasks performed during last succesful boot (obviously, there may have been background updates occurring).

System info:

* Device:

- Dell Latitude E5570 laptop

- Intel i7-6820HQ

- 2x4 GB RAM

- 512 GB NVME drive

- UEFI enabled + Secure boot

- Bitlocker enabled

* Current build: version 1703 (creators update; how can I find actual build number without booting?)

* Error: BSOD on boot with stop-code CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. I could find an additional "parameter" by analysing the full memory dump: 0xffffa381f5da3640 (no idea what it means, though).

What I tried:

* Safe mode w/networking (same BSOD, same stop-code)

* Safe mode w/o networking (same BSOD, same stop-code)

* Start-up repair (found nothing wrong)

* Troubleshooting > command prompt: CHKDSK C: /F /R (nothing wrong)

* Troubleshooting > command prompt: DISM /IMAGE:C:\ /Cleanup-Image /CHECKHEALTH (no corruption)

* Troubleshooting > command prompt: DISM /IMAGE:C:\ /Cleanup-Image /SCANHEALTH (no corruption)

* Troubleshooting > command prompt: DISM /IMAGE:C:\ /Cleanup-Image /RESTOREHEALTH (no corruption)

* Troubleshooting > command prompt: SFC /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=C:\ /OFFWINDIR=C:\WINDOWS (nothing wrong)

* Troubleshooting > command prompt: driver verifier (still BSOD, same stop-code, don't find logs)

* Dell diagnostics run (nothing wrong)

* MemTest86 (nothing wrong)

* Installed newest system BIOS (same BSOD, same stop-code)

It seems to me as if some update was successfully installed but some incompatibility causes the BSOD (although I have no direct evidence of this).

I did have system protection enabled on boot-drive but troubleshooting now tells me there are no restore points (although I am sure I created one on that system).

Logs:
    here

Dumps are from C:\WINDOWS\minidump but most are empty (0 bytes - I'm guessing the "small dump (256K)" setting is not set and these are not actually mini-dumps: cannot change the setting since I cannot boot and "wmic" from WinRE command prompt works only
    on WinRE).

I do have a full memory dump available, but it is (obviously) huge (not included).

I have a CBS.log, Sessions.xml, DISM.log, ...

Can anyone help?

**Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.**

ghemberg, May 25, 2020
  3. unable to boot into safe mode

i have been hijacked, virus, everything. so i was told to boot into safe mode then run all of my virus and spyware scans. well i cant boot into safe mode, i turn off the computer using the power button, wait 30 seconds, press power again, as soon as i press that i press F8 and hold it down, i continue to hold it down and it just continues to go into normal windows boot....then i tried the same again, did the same. tried doing the same but this time "tapping" the F8 key, does the same...is there another way to boot into safe mode?

Braveheart, May 25, 2020
  4. Tiss Win User

BSOD on boot (critical_process_died), cant boot into safe mode

BSOD Critical_Process_Died (After booting into Safe Mode)

This might not be the place to post this issue, but I'm not sure where else to put it.

I'm having a problem with my computer that displays the "It looks like Windows didn't load correctly" error-thing when I try to boot it up. I already tried messing with the boot settings and tried to boot into safe mode, but it only gives me the Critical_Process_Died BSOD. I also tried using the command prompt to do some things like sfc /scannow, but that didn't find any problems. My computer also doesn't seem to be able to boot from the windows installation disc that it came with. I'm really worried that this is an issue with my hardware, and I don't know if it's related to the stuff that happened before this.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Edit: Took the battery out, put it back in, it offered a restore, it works now.
    I'm extremely confused

Thema:

BSOD on boot (critical_process_died), cant boot into safe mode

1. BSOD on boot (critical_process_died), cant boot into safe mode - Similar Threads - BSOD boot critical_process_died

2. Booted in safe mode and cant login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booted in safe mode and cant login: I selected safe mode with registry? Or something of the sort and now i cant login, and i cant bring up the cmnd prompt or my account. I used system. Restore but it did not change anything...
  3. Booted in safe mode and cant login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booted in safe mode and cant login: I selected safe mode with registry? Or something of the sort and now i cant login, and i cant bring up the cmnd prompt or my account. I used system. Restore but it did not change anything...
  4. BSOD - Inaccessible boot device, cant boot into safe mode.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - Inaccessible boot device, cant boot into safe mode.: Dear all, I have tried searching online for a fix but perhaps my issue is rather unique. (I do not have much IT knowledge) 1. BSOD came while having some common programmes running - Chrome, Telegram and Game(COD) 2. PC reboots itself: Inaccessible boot device (StopCode)...
  5. Boot in Safe mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Boot in Safe mode: I got stuck in safe mode , when i tried to choose any option from troubleshoot it ask me for the password and i am entering the right password it is not accepting my password and its not booting my laptop with network mode , i have done couple of things thatis already on...
  6. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, can't boot up in Safe Mode, can't access desktop. Help!!

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, can't boot up in Safe Mode, can't access desktop. Help!!: A few weeks ago, I had an unfortunate spill on my laptop. However, after drying it out over night, it's mostly been fine - it just seemed that the battery was shot, as I could no longer unplug my laptop, but the computer itself worked just as it usually did. Whenever I had to...
  7. BSOD crash with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED cant boot or run sfc /scannow

BSOD crash with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED cant boot or run sfc /scannow: not sure I can run dm log collector from recovery console? My desktop PC with 32-bit Windows 10 has crashed at version 10.0.17134.0. It worked fine for a few days after the upgrade to version 10.0.17134.0, and I was not using the PC at the time of the crash. It now starts up...
  8. BSOD Critical_Process_Died (After booting into Safe Mode)

BSOD Critical_Process_Died (After booting into Safe Mode): This might not be the place to post this issue, but I'm not sure where else to put it. I'm having a problem with my computer that displays the "It looks like Windows didn't load correctly" error-thing when I try to boot it up. I already tried messing with the boot settings...
  9. Bsod Bad_Pool_Caller, cant boot except in Safe Mode with Networking

Bsod Bad_Pool_Caller, cant boot except in Safe Mode with Networking: Hello, i recently installed windows 10 and before that i was using windows 7. During this time i already had gotten crashes regarding my video driver. These kinda stopped over time, but still return once in a while. So today in windows 10 my PC crashed twice, once was a...
  10. Cant boot to safe mode in usual ways

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cant boot to safe mode in usual ways: I can boot up my PC but then anything I do results in non responding screens so cant get into safe mode from there. Anything involving restart caudse hanging on 'restarting' Is there another way? 40799