Windows 10: BSOD on boot DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Discus and support BSOD on boot DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm new to this community, I've read a lot of things but in the end today I decided to register because I tried everything and I really don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by dcerra96, Mar 19, 2021.

1. dcerra96 Win User

BSOD on boot DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Hi all,

I'm new to this community, I've read a lot of things but in the end today I decided to register because I tried everything and I really don't know what to do anymore.

This is my story: I got a new laptop on September 2020, it is an Asus VivoBook X571LH, and everything was fine for the first couple of weeks or so. At some point, my laptop started to do BSOD on boot I want to specify that it does not happen everytime at every boot but randomly, in the sense that I was not able and still I'm not able to understand the cause of it, unfortunately. When it happens, it is like that: I power on from the button, my keyboard's leds will turn on and also my screen will switch from off to all black I don't know how to explain it, I mean that you can see it switched on but it's just all black. This lasts for 15 to 20 seconds which is very strange and unusual, because my laptop boots in like 6/7 seconds everytime and immediately shows an Asus logo on a black screen when booting and at the end it comes the BSOD with the error code DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. At this point, the BSOD lasts for another 15 to 20 seconds and then the system reboot automatically and the laptop turns on normally and without any problem.

I've read a lot on the internet:

• Some said it is an hardware problem: I tried a lot of softwares, tested in detail SSD, RAM, stress tested and everything, no problems detected at all.
    • Some said it is a peripheral problem: I should boot without any peripheral connected to the laptop a lot of times I use my laptop as a desktop, so I turn it off and leave it on my desk for the next day, with headphone jack, USB mouse, or some other thing connected. Tried this as well, BSOD happens also without any peripheral.
    • Some said it is a driver problem: I upgraded at latest stable version every driver, nothing changed.
    • Some said it is a Windows problem: I reinstalled a clean version of it by myself, nothing changed. I contacted also windows support, and with some screen sharing software the support guy reinstalled a clean version himself, nothing changed.
    • I contacted ASUS support via email, they told me the same things: first thing they told me to upgrade drivers, after I showed them that I already did it they told me to upgrade BIOS, with a specific version that they attached me via email. I installed that BIOS, tried for some days, nothing changed. After some days of email discussions, they finally decided to take my laptop back for repairing it, my warranty is until September 2022. I sent it to them on the first days of November 2020, the laptop returned to my place on November 18th and there was a receipt that said that the only hardware changes was the battery, they replaced it with a new one. They reinstalled also a clean version of Windows, without keeping any of my files, the laptop seemed fresh new.

It seemed that the problem was solved, I did not see any BSOD for almost 5 months straight. Unfortunately, the exact same type of BSOD happened again on March 13th. And, after that, another one on March 17th and another one earlier today, March 19th.

I hope you can help me, today I know some more things that could be useful:

1. My windows update history tells me that I've successfully installed Windows 10, 20H2 version on March 12th. So, it is safe to assume that it related to that? I've never had problems for 5 months, i repeat.
    2. This is what my event viewer shows when the BSOD happens: the error is "Critical", the source is "Kernel-Power", and the info says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
      This is the XML of it

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      - <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
      <EventID>41</EventID>
      <Version>8</Version>
      <Level>1</Level>
      <Task>63</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-03-19T09:07:39.3614411Z" />
      <EventRecordID>2513</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
      <Channel>System</Channel>
      <Computer>DAVIDE</Computer>
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      - <EventData>
      <Data Name="BugcheckCode">307</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
      <Data Name="SleepInProgress">6</Data>
      <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
      <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
      <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
      <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
      <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">13</Data>
      <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">true</Data>
      <Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
      <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">0</Data>
      <Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

3. I don't know if that critical error is really the cause of the BSOD or if it shows just what it does when BSOD occurs reboot the system. Thanks to the Event Viewer I can see that each of the 3 times when BSOD occurred, I have the same exact Windows Logs. I will post just one of them, it is the same for the other 2 occurrences. After making sure that Volume C is healthy Event ID 98, there is always an error not critical with event ID 161, caused by "volmgr" that says "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation." This is a screen of my event viewer.

BSOD on boot DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 0d455b8c-f79a-43db-8e36-c5d293b101a9?upload=true.png

This is the XML of it:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      - <System>
      <Provider Name="volmgr" />
      <EventID Qualifiers="49156">161</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-03-19T09:07:39.1085015Z" />
      <EventRecordID>2510</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="320" />
      <Channel>System</Channel>
      <Computer>DAVIDE</Computer>
      <Security />
      </System>
      - <EventData>
      <Data>\Device\HarddiskVolume4</Data>
      <Binary>000000000100000000000000A10004C000000400010000C000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

I hope you can help me, and sorry for my english :

:)

dcerra96, Mar 19, 2021

2. Windows 10 build 10586 BSOD DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Check (enable) it then do Step #5 & test.

The above notwithstanding...

Are you still getting the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSODs or...?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Mar 19, 2021
  3. BSOD with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below article regarding BSOD error and check if it helps.

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Bluescreen Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Mar 19, 2021
  4. BSOD on boot DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

ughhh! BSOD on boot

I guess my computer BSOD on boot right before getting to windows. not sure what the problem is though, everything is stable.

It gave me a list of two files in windows that could have caused the problems

MxPhenom 216, Mar 19, 2021
Thema:

BSOD on boot DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

1. BSOD on boot DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION - Similar Threads - BSOD boot DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

2. BSOD - DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION: I've been having this BSOD randomly, like about 5-6 times a day. I had noticed my Windows Defender, and BitDefender antivirus had been suspiciously uninstalled, as well as Windows Update services had been deleted somehow. I reinstalled the Update service using registry keys...
  3. DPC_Watchdog_Violation on boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DPC_Watchdog_Violation on boot: I stopped using my pc for a few days, came back turned it on and got this error on boot tried repairing it through the repair tool and nothing, can anyone please help? ps stuck in boot loop can’t get to my desktop to change/update files am so confused submitted by...
  4. BSOD DPC_Watchdog_Violation

BSOD DPC_Watchdog_Violation: This is the 4th time in a row Below is obtained from BlueScreenView Code: ================================================== Dump File : 100219-34359-01.dmp Crash Time : 02-10-2019 11:14:48 Bug Check String : Bug Check Code : 0x00000133 Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000000...
  5. Bsod: Dpc_watchdog_violation

Bsod: Dpc_watchdog_violation: I have started to get the above BSOD frequently when I am using my computer. When I let it idle, it's fine, even for hours at a time. When I actively use it, however, it will BSOD at random intervals (~10-15 minutes after startup to about 90 minutes or so afterward). I have...
  6. BSOD DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

BSOD DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION: My windows 10 PC is crashing every few days. I haven't changed any hardware recently that I am aware of. Please have a look at my DMP file and let me know which device Windows is unhappy with. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R-FL3ot2YNcUX5j1DQ5QJ0JlDOdpMwCI Thank you,...
  7. Bsod dpc_watchdog_violation

Bsod dpc_watchdog_violation: Hello I get a Blue screen of death error maybe once or twice a day, it is labeled as DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. I've ran some minidump file analyzers and one said it was my razer mouse software, so I updated it, restarted the computer, and got the BSOD again. Here is all the...
  8. BSOD dpc_watchdog_violation

BSOD dpc_watchdog_violation: Hello I'm having issues with Win10, i'm experiencing this BSOD, it has happened twice now randomly. The last software change I did was to update my video from this "amd-catalyst-15.7.1-win10-64bit", to this one "radeon-crimson-16.3.2-win10-64bit". BEfore the driver...
  9. BSOD DPC_Watchdog_Violation

BSOD DPC_Watchdog_Violation: Blue screen of death randomly happens saying to look up DPC_Watchdog_Violation. Have searched the internet for solutions and thus far have not found a fix that works. Solutions I have tried are: Update drivers, if it's a driver issue I can't find it Turn off quick start...
  10. BSOD with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

BSOD with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION: Hi Please can you tell me how to debug using the attached debug files! And tell me what the error is! Dell XPS 730 Quad Core Extreme @ 3.0GHz, dual GTX560 Graphics, 8Gb Crucial Memory Thanks 33813