Windows 10: BSOD on cold boot only

Discus and support BSOD on cold boot only in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a problem with my custom build desktop that is a bit annoying, and any help would be greatly appreciated. My problem is similar to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Grimnir79, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Grimnir79 Win User

BSOD on cold boot only

Hi all,

I have a problem with my custom build desktop that is a bit annoying, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

My problem is similar to the one described here.

My problem is that every cold boot (by this I mean a start of the computer after it has been shut down for a while) I will get BSOD.
    The BSOD does not happen immediately, but only when I start some taxing task like gaming... and then most often with the error MEMORY_MANAGMENT. If I just leave the computer as it is it can run for hours without BSOD'ing... but the moment I start up some taxing application: BSOD.

As soon as I restart after the BSOD I can use the computer as normal for seemingly endless periodes of time. I can run 3DMark extreme stress test and very demanding games without any problem at all.

Also: if I shut down the computer and then boots up again after a few minutes: all is good. So it seems to be that when the components are cold the BSOD happens.

So I have actually made myself the following "fix":
    • Start the computer (cold boot).
    • Start up 3DMark and start a benchmark.
    • Wait for the BSOD.
    • Reboot.
    • Use computer as normal till next shutdown

While this does work and I can live with it, it would still be nice to find out why this happens.

I have tried the following things:
    • Updating BIOS
    • Disabling/enabling C-States in BIOS.
    • Turning of sleep settings in the power plan.
    • Turning of fast-boot.
    • Updating all drivers.
    • Reseating RAM.
    • Cleaning out dust in case.
    • Switching out the PSU a few years ago (no effect).
    • Making sure the page file is set to Automatic (managed by windows).
    • Updating chipset drivers.
    • Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and Memtest86.
    • ++ a few others that I don't remember right now.

I haven't tried testing each RAM stick in isolation, but I didn't think that was necessary since the RAM tests didn't throw any errors.

Here is the last result from WhoCrashed:

Again: any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Also: this is my first post here on this forum, so sorry if I have left out any important information.

Thank you.

I have attached my last minidump-file.

:)

Grimnir79, Apr 9, 2019
  2. ElderJohn Win User

BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE randomly after cold boot/sleep

For the past month I have been getting random BSOD's all with driver power state failure. They happen randomly, usually within the first 5-10 minutes of cold booting or waking my computer. Steps I have taken to attempt to fix the problem:
    1. Reinstalled GPU drivers/ tried old drivers
    2. Fresh installed Windows 1803, still happened, then fresh installed 1709
    3. Disabled Fast Boot
    None of these things fixed the issue, any help would be much appreciated at pinpointing the issue. Thanks

ElderJohn, Apr 9, 2019
  3. Memory Related BSOD Every Cold Boot

First let me list my specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming

CPU: i7 8700k @ stock

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 2133 MHz

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 TI

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO SSD (Windows Installed) 240GB

Seagate FireCuda 2TB HDD

Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD

I cannot find anyone to help me with this problem, so when the i7 8700k came out I bought a new motherboard, RAM and the CPU. But ever since i installed the parts I am now plagued with Memory Management and Kernel Security Check BSODs on cold boots only,
    it will keep giving me these errors seconds after the PC boots for almost a dozen times and then itll be fine until the next cold boot, if I restart the PC it wont give me the BSOD.

Ive reinstalled Windows 2 times but nothing, and I have tested the RAM multiple times with no errors and the PC is fine in Safe Mode.

I think it may be driver related but I dont know where to look.

Adam Garcia, Apr 9, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

BSOD on cold boot only

Brand new build - different BSODS from a cold boot

1. Is your RAM on MSI compatible list ?
    2. Did you install the latest Intel Chipset Drivers
    3. Can you use another PSU if available ?
    4. Check for latest firmware on the SSD.
    5. On the cold boot. Look inside the MB and read the error code at the time of BSOD.

topgundcp, Apr 9, 2019
Thema:

BSOD on cold boot only

1. BSOD on cold boot only - Similar Threads - BSOD cold boot

2. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cold boot BSOD: Everyday at startup I get a BSOD. This only happens once and then never for the duration the pc is on. The BSOD errors sometimes vary but this is a analyzed dump file from a recent one:******************************************************************************** **...
  3. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cold boot BSOD: Everyday at startup I get a BSOD. This only happens once and then never for the duration the pc is on. The BSOD errors sometimes vary but this is a analyzed dump file from a recent one:******************************************************************************** **...
  4. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. BSOD on cold start only

BSOD on cold start only: Hello, Recently been having BSOD on cold starts only. From what I have read online it indicates a memory module fail. I have looked at the minidump and there is an indication of a memory issue but I'm not sure if I am reading the dump file correctly. Also, are there any...
  6. BSOD on cold boot only

BSOD on cold boot only: Hi all, this is a duplicate of this post that I posted in the wrong section. Just delete that post. Sorry for making a mess, I'm new on this forum. So: my problem is with my custom build PC, and any help would be greatly appreciated. My problem is similar to the one...
  7. BSOD on cold boot.

BSOD on cold boot.: I have been getting a variety of BSOD's on cold boots. After the first BSOD, everything runs smoothly thereafter; any amount of stress on the PC doesn't cause any BSOD. Things I have tried: Updated bios and all the motherboard related whatnot. Tried to update all my...
  8. BSOD at every cold boot

BSOD at every cold boot: Hello everyone, having BSOD at every cold boot. This is happening on my desktop (first build I made), hardware is: MB: Asus Maximus VIII Gene CPU: Intel i5-6600k RAM: 2x 8GB Crucial Ballistix GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition Windows 10 Pro 64bit Hoping this is...
  9. BSOD on only cold boots

BSOD on only cold boots: I got a custom built pc for christmas and it has been getting BSOD's since it was built and they have only been happening on cold boots, and the file that is having problems is ntoskrnl. I would love if someone could find the problem that has been going on for weeks. 39014
  10. BSOD irql_not_less_or_equal only at first cold boot of the day

BSOD irql_not_less_or_equal only at first cold boot of the day: I have been having the strangest behavior from my EVGA SR-2 dual Xeon system for the past week or so. The only new software that has been added is the beta nVidia driver 358.59. Now, I could just uninstall it and revert back to the WHQL driver (355.98) that I had installed,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bsod on boot when pc is cold