Windows 10: BSOD on restart and PC shuts down when it's supposed to go to sleep

Discus and support BSOD on restart and PC shuts down when it's supposed to go to sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hey everyone, I have lately been having a couple of minor problems on my PC: 1) Whenever I try to restart my PC, I encounter the BSOD "System... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Zachary_C, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Zachary_C Win User

BSOD on restart and PC shuts down when it's supposed to go to sleep

Hey everyone,

I have lately been having a couple of minor problems on my PC:

1) Whenever I try to restart my PC, I encounter the BSOD "System thread exception not handled." I have looked for help online already, but the suggestions of making sure all my device drivers are up to date and running a system file check haven't fixed the problem. The PC does ultimately boot back up normally. I do not have this problem if I choose to shut down the computer.

2) Whenever I tell my PC to sleep, it shuts down instead. In other words, it will go through the motions of going to sleep, but the power LED doesn't flash when it shuts off (it always did before when asleep) and pressing the power button starts the computer normally as though it was off (I see the BIOS splash screen and then Windows opens, whereas the PC normally opens immediately on the Windows log in screen when asleep).

Neither of these problems are causing me any other problems yet, but they are irritating. I mainly don't want the problems to get worse since whenever the PC has to restart for an update, it also encounters the BSOD mentioned above and then appears to continue the update normally when the computer restarts.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

Zachary_C, Sep 14, 2019
  2. Zachary_C Win User

Hey everyone,

I have lately been having a couple of minor problems on my PC:

1) Whenever I try to restart my PC, I encounter the BSOD "System thread exception not handled." I have looked for help online already, but the suggestions of making sure all my device drivers are up to date and running a system file check haven't fixed the
    problem. The PC does ultimately boot back up normally. I do not have this problem if I choose to shut down the computer.

2) Whenever I tell my PC to sleep, it shuts down instead. In other words, it will go through the motions of going to sleep, but the power LED doesn't flash when it shuts off (it always did before when asleep) and pressing the power button starts the computer
    normally as though it was off (I see the BIOS splash screen and then Windows opens, whereas the PC normally opens immediately on the Windows log in screen when asleep).

Neither of these problems are causing me any other problems yet, but they are irritating. I mainly don't want the problems to get worse since whenever the PC has to restart for an update, it also encounters the BSOD mentioned above and then appears to continue
    the update normally when the computer restarts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Zachary_C, Sep 25, 2019
  3. ilgoldman Win User
    Random shut down and restart??

Computer: Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual cpu
    E220@2.406hz
    2.42 GHZ, 2.00 GB of RAM
    Windows xp

Ever since I replaced the fan (with heat sink) the computer has randomly shut down and then restarted, at first during streaming, and now, will shut down and restart anytime. I tried to replace the graphics card to no avail. *Confused BSOD on restart and PC shuts down when it's supposed to go to sleep :confused:*Mad BSOD on restart and PC shuts down when it's supposed to go to sleep :mad:

One suggestion was to replace the RAM.

Any suggestions on how to repair my computer?

ilgoldman, Sep 25, 2019
  4. BSOD on restart and PC shuts down when it's supposed to go to sleep

PC not shutting down or sleeping

Hi Felipe,

There are some factors that we need to consider regarding your concern about the shutting down or sleeping in Windows 10. To properly diagnose this issue, we would like to know more about the issue by asking the following questions below:

• What is the last action taken before this issue happens?
    • Any changes made to your hardware?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?
    • Have you also tried
      updating your drivers
      ?

We also found a helpful response from Yashwanth Kotakuri on July 7, 2016 in this

thread
    . This will give you steps that resolve the same issue.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist.

Anthony Gal, Sep 25, 2019
Thema:

1. BSOD on restart and PC shuts down when it's supposed to go to sleep - Similar Threads - BSOD restart shuts

2. PC restart when shut down

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC restart when shut down: My PC just started to restart when I press turn off idk why and it’s never happened before it’s just like I press shut down go for a sec and when I back the pc like restarted it’s not happening sec time like when I click turn off again it’s shutting down but the problem is...
  3. Computer restarts/shuts down instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer restarts/shuts down instead of going to sleep: After i use my computer for a while and put it to sleep, it doesn’t go to sleep correctly. It either restarts or in the last case i had, shuts down. It used to have start up issues but that was resilved when i replaced my boot drive....
  4. Shutting Down when supposed to sleep

Shutting Down when supposed to sleep: For the past 3 weeks, I close my computer and it shuts down when I want it to sleep. I am not telling it to do this, it does this automatically. I thought a recent update would fix it, but the problem has not been resolved. What steps should I take?...
  5. PC shuts down unexpectedly when it should go to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC shuts down unexpectedly when it should go to sleep: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, version 2004 MSI motherboard with AMD FX processor I first had issue after upgrade to 2004 Hibernate was enabled somehow even though it's shown as no. But it was fixed by using command line powercfg /h off. The PC goes to sleep and wakes up properly,...
  6. PC shuts down unexpectedly when it should go to sleep

PC shuts down unexpectedly when it should go to sleep: Hi, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, version 2004. I initially had issue with upgrade to 2004 with power options. Hibernate was enabled somehow even though it's shown as no. But it was fixed by using command line powercfg /h off. The PC goes to sleep and wakes up properly, no...
  7. PC Shutting down instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC Shutting down instead of going to sleep: I have put my computer to sleep every night for years and all the sudden it will not go to sleep any more. When I'm done with my work, I go to start > (power icon) > sleep and the screen goes black. Usually at this point a couple seconds later the fans would stop and the...
  8. desktop has been shutting down when it is supposed to be going to sleep mode.

desktop has been shutting down when it is supposed to be going to sleep mode.: My desktop has been shutting down when it is supposed to be going to sleep mode. It wakes when I hit the keyboard or shake the mouse, but it boots from BIOS like it had been shut down. I have Windows Power options set to “When plugged in PC goes to sleep after 2 hours” I...
  9. BSOD when Sleeping, Restarting or shutting down, page_fault_in_non...

BSOD when Sleeping, Restarting or shutting down, page_fault_in_non...: A couple days ago when normally putting my PC to sleep at night it restarted. I then tried to put it to sleep again and watched as the screen went black and the pc just sat there on for like 10 seconds then began the process of rebooting. The next day when i was using my pc...
  10. PC shutting down incorrectly/not going to sleep when put in sleep mode

PC shutting down incorrectly/not going to sleep when put in sleep mode: My computer keeps shutting down after I put it into sleep mode, then when i start it back up it says that it shut down incorrectly. This does not happen all the time, only sporadically. Other times it will not go into sleep mode altogether! Interesting, I had this problem...