Windows 10: BSoD: PnP DETECTED FATAL ERROR

Discus and support BSoD: PnP DETECTED FATAL ERROR in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I reported this as a reply to someone else's post, but I thought it might make more sense to make a separate post. System: AlienWare 17 R2 laptop,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JohnBreen3, Apr 10, 2021.

1. BSoD: PnP DETECTED FATAL ERROR

I reported this as a reply to someone else's post, but I thought it might make more sense to make a separate post.

System: AlienWare 17 R2 laptop, Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 8 in 2016

Summary:

• On April 5 or 6, the laptop rebooted itself while idle, got consecutive BSoDs saying "PnP DETECTED FATAL ERROR", and ended in the Recovery Window. This happened with every reboot or power cycle.
    • Restoring to the last/only restore point dated April 3 2021 fixed it for a while, but it would happen again when left idle. On the third attempt to restore from the restore point, an error occurred no details recorded, sorry and the restore point disappeared.
    • After trying various scans, checks, and recovery attempts, I tried AlienWare's Respawn. After ~3 hours it said it had restored successfully, but rebooting gave a different BSoD: "Your operating system couldn't be loaded because the NLS data is missing or contains errors. Error code: 0xc0000242"
    • Now, the system is only accessible via USB recovery sticks I've tried Windows 10 installation, and Linux SystemRescue - sorry, I didn't make a recovery disk for this system.
    • Minidumps and a MEMORY.DMP file are available here: Minidump_20210410

Below is a detailed description of everything that happened:

This started on April 5 or 6 2021. The laptop had been on and my daughter was logged in, but when she went back to it after being AFK, it was at the blue Recovery window with choices "See advanced repair options" and "Restart my PC". Restarting caused it to go through BSOD three times and then back to the Recovery window.

First thing I tried was System Restore. There was one restore point, from April 3 no system changes that we know of, and restoring it seemed to work. But at some point when she was AFK, it had apparently crashed again and was at the Recovery window. I did the System Restore again, and she baby-sat it all evening interestingly, not letting the screen saver come on for any length of time. It never crashed. She shut it down, and the next day it still booted up and let her log in. But when she left it alone for a period of time, it apparently crashed again and wouldn't reboot same symptoms, same error. So it seems like the System Restore "fixed" something, but whatever it was would get broken again maybe when the screen saver was running?.

I ran the diagnostics in the BIOS - no problems.

Here's where it gets strange. The next day, we tried System Restore again, but it failed with an error sorry, I didn't record it. After that, [COLOR=rgba255, 0, 0, 1]the restore point was gone[/COLOR]!

I booted in safe mode took a while to find it without networking and let her log in we both have admin accounts but I wasn't sure I remembered my password. I couldn't figure out anything to do, so I rebooted in safe mode with networking, hoping to be able to update the drivers which I found out later that you can't do in safe mode. It seemed to work normally, but I knew I needed to research more of what to do.

The next morning, I did the "thorough" disk diagnostic in the BIOS - took a couple of hours, but no problems found.

Now it gets more interesting: since my daughter was at work, I booted in safe mode with networking, remembered my password, and logged in. Windows immediately starting installing an update. After that, it logged me in, but some things didn't work. I couldn't type in the search bar, the Windows button didn't seem to work, left-clicking on the Start icon didn't do anything, and although right-clicking brought up a menu, about half of the items were inoperative although I found other ways to open most of the things I needed via msconfig.

With very few options left, I rebooted and tried the AlienWare Respawn. The second step scanning the files took a really long time, and the third step repairing the files took over 2 hours. But it said it was successful, so I rebooted. And I was greeted by a BSoD that said:

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Recovery[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Your PC/Device needs to be repaired[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]The operating system couldn't be loaded because the NLS data is missing or contains errors.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Error code: 0xc0000242[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media like a disc or USB device, contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Press Enter to try again[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Press F1 to enter Recovery Environment[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Press F8 for Startup Settings[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings[/COLOR]

I don't have a recovery USB, but I created an installation USB with the Windows Media Creation Tool on another PC. Trying a restore with that failed without giving a specific reason. It did create Srt and DISM log files, though. I can share those if needed.

I was able to access the C: drive via a Linux recovery USB, and hopefully copied off everything I need, so a complete reinstall is possible. I would like to repair the OS if possible, though.

Thanks.

--

John

:)

JohnBreen3, Apr 10, 2021
  2. divmaeng Win User

stop code: pnp detected fatal error

I get the following error when shutting down

" stop code : pnp Detected Fatal error"

divmaeng, Apr 10, 2021
  3. PNP detected fatal error

After upgrading to windows 10, the computer is always giving me a blue screen with sad face and says that its a pnp detected fatal error . Then the computer restarts automatically . I searched a lot for answers but it was worthless ! Please help ...

MohamadTarhini, Apr 10, 2021
  4. BSoD: PnP DETECTED FATAL ERROR

PNP detected fatal error

Hi Resently i have been getting this Error

PNP detected fatal error

Description

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000ca (0x0000000000000002, 0xffff9e038f3fc040, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 9a165fe0-eb9b-473d-8529-197fe1881ceb.

can some explain to me what's going on

here are the logs

https://www.dropbox.com/s/28w30ervwslz5w5/100420-20578-01.dmp?dl=0

Dropbox - File Deleted

Thank you

Thomas S_123224, Apr 10, 2021
Thema:

BSoD: PnP DETECTED FATAL ERROR

1. BSoD: PnP DETECTED FATAL ERROR - Similar Threads - BSoD PnP DETECTED

2. PNP Detected Fatal Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PNP Detected Fatal Error: Hi,I'm running Win10, latest updates.I have just done a VMware update and when finished it wanted a reboot.However, after the system has rebooted, I can log in and then after a minute I get the BSoD with the error "PNP Detected Fatal Error".I'm struggling to guess what VMWare...
  3. PNP Detected Fatal Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PNP Detected Fatal Error: Hi,I'm running Win10, latest updates.I have just done a VMware update and when finished it wanted a reboot.However, after the system has rebooted, I can log in and then after a minute I get the BSoD with the error "PNP Detected Fatal Error".I'm struggling to guess what VMWare...
  4. PNP Detected Fatal Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. PNP DETECTED FATAL ERROR

PNP DETECTED FATAL ERROR: Hey Guys! Yesterday, Windows did one of its auto updates. When it was done, it came to a Blue screen that gave me the PNP DETECTED FATAL ERROR. I get that error about 2 sec after I see my windows logo when I boot up the PC. I have tried literally everything and still...
  6. PNP Detected Fatal Error

PNP Detected Fatal Error: [IMG][IMG]Hi I have HP personal laptop and yesterday I just click on latest update to install and after 1 min it suddently restart my laptop and give ke stopcode error. ERROR was PNP detected fatal error I think Dave replied to my post and I am not able to reply back to...
  7. PNP Detected Fatal Error

PNP Detected Fatal Error: Hi I have HP personal laptop and yesterday I just click on latest update to install and after 1 min it suddently restart my laptop and give ke stopcode error. ERROR was PNP detected fatal error This is first time happened. I don't want to loose my all data so i can't...
  8. BSOD Loop - PNP DETECTED FATAL ERROR

BSOD Loop - PNP DETECTED FATAL ERROR: I set my computer to sleep one night, forgetting that there was a Windows Update I could install. I hadn't scheduled the update so windows would update when I restart or shut down my laptop. The next morning, I opened my laptop and I was met with the BSOD with an error...
  9. PNP detected fatal error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PNP detected fatal error: Hi Resently i have been getting this Error PNP detected fatal error Description The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000ca 0x0000000000000002, 0xffff9e038f3fc040, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000. A dump was saved in:...
  10. PNP DETECTED FATAL ERROR

PNP DETECTED FATAL ERROR: My windows 10 updated automatically and now it keeps restarting non-stop. It doesnt even go to the recovery screen at all!! Im at my dead end right now...please somebody help me...i need to do my works... I have tried almost all method i can find in the net... And now it...