Windows 10: BSOD random restarts on new hardware, error 0x00000124

Discus and support BSOD random restarts on new hardware, error 0x00000124 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; What cause this problem? BSOD 0x124 - Graphics Cards Bug Check 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR - Windows 10 hardware dev axe0 - There was one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by eeaga, May 15, 2017.

1. lmaneke Win User

BSOD random restarts on new hardware, error 0x00000124

What cause this problem? BSOD 0x124 - Graphics Cards

Bug Check 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR - Windows 10 hardware dev

axe0 - There was one website that showed that a guy replaced his 6700K from getting this error, but the site is down and I can't pull it up. I can't verify the credibility of the website, but it appears credible since it said Microsoft MVP Professional.

And yes you are right. Hardware doesn't always cause hardware errors. Bad drivers can also cause hardware errors, but also in my experience with failed hardware, it's very difficult to rule out the CPU or Motherboard that is the cause.

Eeaga - have you tried going into safe mode and seeing if the error occurs there?

As anyway, here are some links of people having this same error.

0x124 BSOD - Windows 7 Help Forums

BSOD Stop 0x124 Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums

lmaneke, May 20, 2017
  2. lmaneke Win User

I am not able to pull up the website as the site is down. They had a post about a 7700k and 6700k that had this issue, user replaced it, and all was normal. Yet since it is down, it makes me question the credibility of the site, so if it's bad credibility, I do apologize.

I'm saying, that looking at the dumps, and looking at all the forums online, that this BSOD is either caused by a failed CPU overclock, bad graphics card, RAM, and hard disk. Some have reported that bad voltages to the CPU and RAM caused these issues.

I am only trying to help on this issue. I could be completely wrong on the cause, but there is obviously a problem here.

lmaneke, May 20, 2017
  3. axe0 New Member
    There are many things that could cause hardware issues,
    - Hardware failure, improper seating, loose cabling, overheating, overclocking, drivers, software, BIOS

There are enough threads on this site with the same BSOD but somehow different, Windows 10 Forums
    Also this one Windows 7 Forums is the largest help and support community, providing friendly help and advice for Microsoft Windows 7 Computers such as Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. - Search Results for 0x124
    And this one, Windows 8 Forums - Search Results

And a few other sites that are currently under maintenance

@eeaga, a full dump won't be necessary. Often multiple minidumps is enough to get a pattern which is what we need with this particular BSOD *Smile
    Please provide the other logs too, they can be quite useful from time to time, see my previous post.

4. lmaneke Win User

Axe - You are correct. Looks like many problems can cause this issue. Yet I still have a lot to learn, as I've had 2 machines that I owned personally that had this exact BSOD, and one machine was a bad motherboard, and the other was a bad RAM stick and Hard drive.

lmaneke, May 20, 2017
  5. eeaga Win User
    Thanks for helping guys. Log Collector output is attached.

I will go through the things I've tried once again:
    1) MemTest86+ 15 passes - no errors
    2) Prime95 different tests 4-5 hours in total - no errors
    3) System File Checker - no corrupt files detected
    4) Intel Processor Diagnostic - all tests passed
    5) Updated all drivers
    6) Updated SSD firmware
    7) Updated Windows just now before generating Log Collector report
    8) Tried different OS; Linux also crashes but does not report errors in the logs

I am also attaching a screenshot of HWMonitor so you can see min/max temperatures and voltages under load (during Prime95 tests). Maybe this will help.

Now, after having some experience with 0x124 BSODs, I've noticed that it usually happens during some graphics load e.g. playing a movie with VLC, Games, fancy flash web sites... Not sure though, this is just an observation.

eeaga, May 20, 2017
  6. axe0 New Member
    You reinstalled the OS or did an upgrade, because the event logs and dumps have been wiped.

Each test should be run for a couple of hours minimum, or do you mean each test 4-5h?

7. lmaneke Win User
    I wondering if you couldn't turn the turbo core technology off on the CPU, which can be shut off in the BIOS. The max turbo core is 4.5 GHz, and it's going about 30 MHz above that.

Not saying the turbo core technology is the problem, but it's a good thing to test.

lmaneke, May 20, 2017
  8. eeaga Win User

Yes, that's right. My PC went to sleep mode and woke up updated. I have no idea how did that happen. Didn't know that it wipes out the dump files... I managed to restore 4 minidumps that were saved here and there (attached). In the previous post I mentioned that the Log Collector gathered information after the system was updated.

I did In/place large FFT (on the screenshot in the previous post) for three hours and blend test for around two hours.

Isn't 30 MHz just a normal deviation? I could try disabling turbo though.

eeaga, May 20, 2017
  9. lmaneke Win User
    Yes it's normal, but disabling the turbo would only allow the CPU to go to 4.2 GHz Max. It's worth a try.

I know AMD and Intel Architectures are way different, but AMD had issues with the Turbo Core Technology on FX CPUs, causing BSODs and hard freezing. Not sure if Intel works the same in terms of "Boost" frequencies, but it's always worth a try. Any troubleshooting will be helpful at this point

lmaneke, May 20, 2017
  10. axe0 New Member
    Don't start a new thread on different forums, chance that suggestions collide is high.

@eeaga
    We await your reponse.........

11. eeaga Win User
    @axe0 Sorry, I did not think it might be a problem. I will not touch that forum and apply their suggestions until we are done here. Already replied there accordingly.

Can we proceed?

eeaga, May 22, 2017
  12. axe0 New Member
    Different people think in different ways, with some bad luck it results in your system becoming more unstable.

We await the results of @lmaneke suggestion to disable the turbo for your CPU *Smile

13. eeaga Win User

Okay, I see. Sure it makes sense.

I was not at home these two days. Will disable turbo today evening and report results asap.

eeaga, May 22, 2017
  14. eeaga Win User
    UPDATE:

Disabled turbo. Immediately after booting into the system I ran Prime95 blend test and opened Youtube. After like 40 min of browsing with the test running Windows terminated with CLOCK_WHATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD.

Unfortunately, Windows stuck while trying to collect the information about this error during BSOD. No mini dump files were generated and the full dump is corrupt... I will try to repeat this scenario to generate dumps.

Could this post be relevant for my case?

eeaga, May 23, 2017
  15. lmaneke Win User
    I've never seen that BSOD before. I've seen the Watchdog_Violation but not this one.

It's a big possibility, but looking at Toms Hardware forums, you definitely aren't alone. Without having the dumps from that BSOD, I can't tell if it's a CPU internal clock issue as stated on the other site.

Looks like many others are having these issues on ASUS motherboards, with the 2500k, 4770, 6700k, so the problem is across many platforms.

Some indicated that the AI suite software was the cause. I think you said you got all of that uninstalled. Plus some said updating the BIOS helps, but yours is up to date.

RAM isn't throwing any errors, no errors with SSD.

You get the WHEA_Uncorrectable_error with Turbo on and Clock_watchdog_timeout with turbo off. Hmmm

I'm suspecting PSU, CPU, or Motherboard to be the cause at this moment. But not sure which one

lmaneke, May 23, 2017
Thema:

1. BSOD random restarts on new hardware, error 0x00000124 - Similar Threads - BSOD random restarts

2. BSOD 0x00000124 Error from ntoskrnl.exe

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD 0x00000124 Error from ntoskrnl.exe: Hi, i've been having some issues with my PC. Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Motherboard: AsRock N68-S3 UCC Memory: 2x 4GB DDR3 Hyperx Fury 1600 DIMM I ran WhoCrashed and it said this: This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe nt+0x3F5780...
  3. New hardware, random BSOD errors

New hardware, random BSOD errors: Hi, so I've upgraded from i5 4690 to Ryzen 5 3600, bought a new motherboard (Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro - shop I bought it from did BIOS update to F40) and HyperX 2x 8GB 3200Mhz RAM. My GPU is GTX 1060 and I'm using SSD, power supply and HDD from my previous computer. I did a...
  4. BSOD on gaming after new GPU 0x00000124

BSOD on gaming after new GPU 0x00000124: Hello guys, kinda scared checks out this error might be hardware related. I was playing minion masters when it happened, for some reason the game crashed about 5 times in 30 minutes before that happened. It was perfect the last 3 days I had no errors whatsoever. I also had...
  5. Random BSOD once a day,error 0x00000124

Random BSOD once a day,error 0x00000124: Hello guys ! My pc is restarting once a day without any warning ,idle and game , whenever he wants. After the restart everything is working fine. (this happens almost every day ). Nothing from my pc is overclocked. I looked in event viewer and it says : The computer has...
  6. BSOD error 0x00000124

BSOD error 0x00000124: Attachment 114444 Hello, I got 2 consecutive crashes while playing rainbow 6 siege. The first time it simply freeze. The second time I got BSOD. Can anyone help me pinpoint the problem? Zip file attached Thank 73089
  7. Random restart from time to time, bugcheck 0x00000124

Random restart from time to time, bugcheck 0x00000124: Hello there. Since upgrading my PC to windows 10 (I was on Windows 7 with the same hardware beforehand and had no issues), I am repeatedly experiencing random restarts - the computer goes to the initial black booting screen with the bios info on it. Upon checking event...
  8. BSOD randomly after booting, error code 0x00000124

BSOD randomly after booting, error code 0x00000124: Hi, Please help with my HP laptop teh BSOD come after 15-30 minutes play game or browsing internet, i have to update bios to latest version but BSOD still come. I suspect this problem come after windows 10 auto update the system. This is a dump file i attached. This laptop...
  9. BSOD while gaming error 0x00000124

BSOD while gaming error 0x00000124: Sudden and hard freezing while gaming. Luckily. My system rebooted this time after the freeze and I seen the error in event viewer. I do know its hardware related. I just don't know what. I really lucked out. Because this whole time. It just hard freezes and cant do nothing....
  10. Random BSOD 0x00000124

Random BSOD 0x00000124: It tends to happen when I'm doing anything CPU intensive (mostly gaming or video editing). As I understand it x124 is usually a hardware error and I have ruled out bad RAM and bad drives. This didn't start until I upgraded my cpu/mb so I'm fairly sure it's one of the two...
Tags: