Windows 10: BSOD random restarts on new hardware, error 0x00000124

Discus and support BSOD random restarts on new hardware, error 0x00000124 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Man, we were suspecting these from the very beginning*Smile. But seriously, you're right. More and more facts for faulty hardware. I definitely need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by eeaga, May 15, 2017.

1. eeaga Win User

BSOD random restarts on new hardware, error 0x00000124

Man, we were suspecting these from the very beginning*Smile. But seriously, you're right. More and more facts for faulty hardware.

I definitely need a .dmp file for this stupid CLOCK_WHATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. I suppose it should help identifying which one of three it is.

Not sure about the PSU though. First, it is new and expensive (I know it is a stupid argument but still*Smile). There is no complex 14nm technology inside and basically should be nothing that can fail. Second, as I said before, voltages are stable with and without load, at least HWMonitor reports so. In BIOS too (though I cannot possibly check voltages under load from BIOS). Also, if it would be the PSU, I would expect it to fail after equal periods of time under load, not randomly.

Indeed, it is strange that these issues mostly occur on Asus motherboards... This is really suspicious.

eeaga, May 23, 2017
  2. clam1952 Win User

Might be worth checking for a bent pin in the CPU socket.

clam1952, May 23, 2017
  3. axe0 New Member
    It was mentioned earlier, or at least somewhere on this forum, that the CPU, PSU and mobo are 1 of the most difficult causes to pin down to. A suspicious most of the time just isn't enough.

Reality proofs that the PSU could cause issues appearing random too.

4. eeaga Win User

Will do the dump file and then check the socket.

eeaga, May 23, 2017
  5. Golden Win User
    Strange BSOD this........at this stage I would suspect motherboard software (AI) being the issue.....but that has been ruled out correct?

As axe says, not all 0x2124's are hardware.....I have seen 0x124's using a beta-Chrome Browser before. Sounds exotic, but you might have to look at other oddities that would not normally be associated with 0x124's.

Looking at the MSINFO, I noticed 7 partitions on the SSD....is it worth looking into that? Im just guessing now, since most stuff seems to have been covered.

Have you tried the maximum test of Intel Burn Test by any chance? If so, did it pass?

Golden, May 23, 2017
  6. lmaneke Win User
    One thing I've always done for testing faulty hardware is to always have a second system handy that works perfectly fine. Then I would start swapping components between systems to find the culprit, but I know that not everyone is able to keep a spare system handy.

You're board is a ROG Strix Z270G MATX board right? After looking at many reviews, looks like this board has tons of problems. Bluetooth failures, memory issues. If you want proof, go to Newegg and read the user reviews on this board.

Another thing I've heard to do to troubleshoot issues, is to actually turn off cores on the CPU. instead of running 4 cores and 8 threads, you could run 2 cores and 4 threads.

Although it's getting to the point to where you may want to get replacements.

Yet you could go into device manager and disable some components that may not be in use that could cause hardware failures. "Ethernet, Bluetooth, unplug all USB devices except your keyboard and mouse, Wireless adapters if you have any. You could also disable the sound card on the board as well"

These are all ways to do the process of elimination, plus disabling all non Microsoft services and programs in Windows.

Sorry we haven't been able to make any progress in finding a solution to your problem. Hope we find one for you soon.

lmaneke, May 23, 2017
  7. eeaga Win User
    Yes, that's right. All Asus software like AI Suite, Aura etc is removed. Maybe there is a chance that I missed one of these utilities, but don't think so. Will check again when reach home.

I have dual boot with Windows 10 and Manjaro Linux. Five partitions are for Linux:
    /boot/efi
    /boot
    /
    /swap
    /home

I wansn't going to use Windows a lot in the first place... But now I am forced to use it for debugging*Smile Could a bunch of additional partitions really be a reason for 0x124? That would surprise me a lot. Maybe I need to reinstall Windows in this case?

No, I didn't try the Intel Burn Test.Not sure if it's much different from Prime95, but I will give it a try.

eeaga, May 23, 2017
  8. Golden Win User

I would also be surprised, and personally I think its doubtful that is the cause, but....I'm just looking at oddities and throwing out suggestions because you have almost exhausted everything and are at the point of having to accept its a hardware issue.....which is always troublesome.

I don't think a dual boot with Unices would cause this issue, so I don't think a reinstall of Windows is needed....it will probably interfere with GRUB anyway....?

IntelBurn is really quick to run and will stress that CPU ..... perform 5 to 10 runs and check that all the residual results are the same.

Golden, May 23, 2017
  9. eeaga Win User
    Yeah, would be cool if I had one. Maybe I can ask someone to help me in this matter. Not sure though.

In all honesty I don't even know why I went with this board and all it's shit features that I will never use. It just looked cool and I thought "What the hack? I want it". Who knew that Asus boards are so different qualitywise.

Disabling cores and other hardware is a cool idea. I'll try it but it will definitely take me some time to do all this.

Really appreciate your help guys. It has become a challenge now! I am not ready to give up yet.

eeaga, May 23, 2017
  10. Golden Win User
    Just an FYI : software proven to have caused a 0x124 BSOD which you would have sworn was a hardware issue. In these cases they were on W7 systems, but none-the-less:

- Chrome
    - ESET
    - Gigabyte SIV

and of course

- outdated BiOS.

Are you running a stable Chrome?

Golden, May 23, 2017
  11. eeaga Win User
    Not sure what you mean. By reinstalling I meant wiping Linux partitions and go only with Windows. In this case GRUB will be removed. I don't think that reinstalling Windows and keeping Linux would interfere with GRUB... That is a different topic though*Smile

I've put the Burn Test on my task list.

eeaga, May 23, 2017
  12. Golden Win User
    Ah, understood.

Golden, May 23, 2017
  13. lmaneke Win User

My current system is an ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 with the FX 6300 CPU, and this system has been very stable. I have built many systems with ASUS Boards "All AMD" and have had no issues whatsoever. I had to RMA my first M5A99FX PRO R2.0 after it died after 3 hours of working with it, but I got a replacement, and 2 years later it's been very stable..

It seems that it's always hit and miss when it comes to hardware these days "software is no exception either", but all MB manufacturers seem to have their pros and cons. I remember I bought a MSI 990FXA Gaming board, and it failed in 2 days. So I've had my bad share of hardware failures.

Let us know when you have results

lmaneke, May 23, 2017
  14. eeaga Win User
    Not ESET and not Gigabyte SIV for sure. I don't have them. BIOS is up to date. 100% sure about that.

Chrome could be an issue. I recall that I had it open when most BSODs happend. But not all for sure. It would be so ridiculous if Chrome causes the BSOD*Smile I will uninstall it just in case. The version is stable...

eeaga, May 23, 2017
  15. clam1952 Win User
    As It appears you are dual booting Linux, Is that working properly?

clam1952, May 23, 2017
Thema:

1. BSOD random restarts on new hardware, error 0x00000124 - Similar Threads - BSOD random restarts

2. BSOD 0x00000124 Error from ntoskrnl.exe

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD 0x00000124 Error from ntoskrnl.exe: Hi, i've been having some issues with my PC. Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Motherboard: AsRock N68-S3 UCC Memory: 2x 4GB DDR3 Hyperx Fury 1600 DIMM I ran WhoCrashed and it said this: This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe nt+0x3F5780...
  3. New hardware, random BSOD errors

New hardware, random BSOD errors: Hi, so I've upgraded from i5 4690 to Ryzen 5 3600, bought a new motherboard (Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro - shop I bought it from did BIOS update to F40) and HyperX 2x 8GB 3200Mhz RAM. My GPU is GTX 1060 and I'm using SSD, power supply and HDD from my previous computer. I did a...
  4. BSOD on gaming after new GPU 0x00000124

BSOD on gaming after new GPU 0x00000124: Hello guys, kinda scared checks out this error might be hardware related. I was playing minion masters when it happened, for some reason the game crashed about 5 times in 30 minutes before that happened. It was perfect the last 3 days I had no errors whatsoever. I also had...
  5. Random BSOD once a day,error 0x00000124

Random BSOD once a day,error 0x00000124: Hello guys ! My pc is restarting once a day without any warning ,idle and game , whenever he wants. After the restart everything is working fine. (this happens almost every day ). Nothing from my pc is overclocked. I looked in event viewer and it says : The computer has...
  6. BSOD error 0x00000124

BSOD error 0x00000124: Attachment 114444 Hello, I got 2 consecutive crashes while playing rainbow 6 siege. The first time it simply freeze. The second time I got BSOD. Can anyone help me pinpoint the problem? Zip file attached Thank 73089
  7. Random restart from time to time, bugcheck 0x00000124

Random restart from time to time, bugcheck 0x00000124: Hello there. Since upgrading my PC to windows 10 (I was on Windows 7 with the same hardware beforehand and had no issues), I am repeatedly experiencing random restarts - the computer goes to the initial black booting screen with the bios info on it. Upon checking event...
  8. BSOD randomly after booting, error code 0x00000124

BSOD randomly after booting, error code 0x00000124: Hi, Please help with my HP laptop teh BSOD come after 15-30 minutes play game or browsing internet, i have to update bios to latest version but BSOD still come. I suspect this problem come after windows 10 auto update the system. This is a dump file i attached. This laptop...
  9. BSOD while gaming error 0x00000124

BSOD while gaming error 0x00000124: Sudden and hard freezing while gaming. Luckily. My system rebooted this time after the freeze and I seen the error in event viewer. I do know its hardware related. I just don't know what. I really lucked out. Because this whole time. It just hard freezes and cant do nothing....
  10. Random BSOD 0x00000124

Random BSOD 0x00000124: It tends to happen when I'm doing anything CPU intensive (mostly gaming or video editing). As I understand it x124 is usually a hardware error and I have ruled out bad RAM and bad drives. This didn't start until I upgraded my cpu/mb so I'm fairly sure it's one of the two...
Tags: