Windows 10: BSOD reboot loop "CRITICAL SERVICE FAILED"

Discus and support BSOD reboot loop "CRITICAL SERVICE FAILED" in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there, I am in an unpleasant situation and I hope you can help me. First, I appreciate you need the correct information to diagnose - my system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by tony359, Jan 18, 2019.

1. tony359 Win User

BSOD reboot loop "CRITICAL SERVICE FAILED"

Hi there,

I am in an unpleasant situation and I hope you can help me.

First, I appreciate you need the correct information to diagnose - my system does not boot up anymore, not even in safe more, so I am unable to run the log collector app you require.

This is what happened: I was diagnosing another PC which had issues with Windows Update. I followed a tutorial and deleted the content of the CatRoot2 folder but I unintentionally deleted the content of the PC I was remoting from instead! (yes I know, don't say anything!)
    In fact, I may have unintentionally deleted the CatRoot folder instead.
    PC was still fine but I was unable to run mmc.exe (to change partitions). I tracked the problem down to the a digital signature in the CatRoot folder I tampered with so I decided to apply a System Restore.

I rebooted and that was the last time I saw Windows up and running.

The system is in a constant BSOD loop. Error is "Critical Service Failed". It does not show a STOP code.

I tried the following:
    - Safe mode - ends with stop 0xc000021a
    - Disable driver signature enforcement - the boot proceeds a bit more but then ends up with a stop code 0xc000021a
    - chkdsk
    - sfc /scannow
    - automatic startup repair
    - Apply other restore points (they all failed and eventually they all disappeared?)
    - Run DISM via command prompt. I get a "the component store is repairable" but it doesn't like my source apparently.
    - Tried boot logging but I cannot find the log file afterwards...

I appreciate that in these cases a reinstall is the best solution but I really would like to resuscitate the system - I'd like to recover my apps for now. I'm ok if this is not the best/fastest solution.
    I also understand that to run a 'repair install' I need a working Windows installation.

I am not sure I can find the dump file, I found the attached which has today's date. I managed to open it with a dump file analyzer even though it has a TMP extension.

My system (apologies if not too detailed, I would need to access Windows to check!):

Computer name: should be ENTERPRISE
    Windows version: Windows 10 , 1803
    Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
    Hardware: MSI P67A G65 MB
    CPU: intel 2600K
    RAM: 8GB Crucial

I've always been so impressed by this forum - you have all my trust guys! BSOD reboot loop "CRITICAL SERVICE FAILED" :)
    Please do let me know what you require from the system and I'll try to grab that.

Thank you!

:)

tony359, Jan 18, 2019
  2. nuno407 Win User

Windows 10 BSOD loop - CRITICAL SERVICE FAILED

I have exactly the same problem that you described. My minidump is
    here
    . My PC is a TOSHIBA SATELLITE P50-C-17C

The windows only boot in disabled driver signature enforcement mode.

Thank you

nuno407, Jan 18, 2019
  3. DanDowns Win User

Hi guys, I'm really hoping someone can help.

My laptop is a few years old and was updated from windows 8 to 10 within the last 2 years.

Ive had a few problems recently with it freezing up, but never the BSOD. It generally reboots and continues on working. I try to keep drivers updated as often as they come out.

Now it is stuck in a BSOD with the stopcode CRITICAL SERVICE FAILED.

In the BSOD:

- reset the PC doesn't work

- system restore doesn't work

- system image recovery won't work due to no images saved.

- startup repair doesn't work

- nothing works in startup settings (safe mode, etc)

- command prompt will open

the minidump and memory.dmp files are in the windows folder, but I'm unsure how to get them saved, able to be uploaded for someone to view.

Can anyone give me a hand? Much appreciated!

Thanks.

DanDowns, Jan 18, 2019
  4. joerivh Win User

After a few error messages (btTool.exe) my pc got a BSOD and rebooted. The pc was unable to boot and kept throwing a BSOD: CRITICAL SERVICE FAILURE. The only way I could boot Windows was by booting with the option "Disable driver signature enforcement".

I tried a lot of things: memory tests, sfc, bcdedit options, ... . Unfortunately without luck.

I fixed this issue by doing a repair using a Windows 10 .iso and just doing an installation of Windows overriding the current version with keeping files and apps. This repair took two hours and the system is working and booting fine now. Good luck.

joerivh, Jan 18, 2019
Thema:

1. BSOD reboot loop "CRITICAL SERVICE FAILED" - Similar Threads - BSOD reboot loop

2. CRITICAL _ SERVICE _ FAILED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CRITICAL _ SERVICE _ FAILED: The device cannot enter Windows 11 and gives me a blue screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-service-failed/7d77f0cf-0cd9-48bf-a725-2681e3d2a3b4
  3. Critical service failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Critical service failed: Suddenly it is showing BSOD critical service failed in windows 11 Anybody can you give me a solution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-service-failed/55fcbb60-b804-4819-9756-b85ef76010f4
  4. Critical service failed

Critical service failed: Suddenly it is showing BSOD critical service failed in windows 11 Anybody can you give me a solution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-service-failed/55fcbb60-b804-4819-9756-b85ef76010f4
  5. BSoD critical service failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSoD critical service failed: I've tried everythingStartup repair doesn't workComand prompt sfc/scannow doesn't workSystem restore doesn't workUninstall last quality update doesn't workMy last resort is to do a system reset and keep personal files but I'll have to reinstall all programs I want to use...
  6. BSoD critical service failed

BSoD critical service failed: I've tried everythingStartup repair doesn't workComand prompt sfc/scannow doesn't workSystem restore doesn't workUninstall last quality update doesn't workMy last resort is to do a system reset and keep personal files but I'll have to reinstall all programs I want to use...
  7. BSoD critical service failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Bsod critical service failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bsod critical service failed: I was getting stopped code CRITICAL SERVICE FAILED error on my new acer aspire 5s, can anyone help me in this this is my new laptop please help me in this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-critical-service-failed/e230a104-b2fd-4c4c-b12d-fd597204b084
  9. BSOD Critical Process Died, rebooting loop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD Critical Process Died, rebooting loop: My laptop started crashing a few months ago. With memory management Bsod. Yesterday it crashed and had this new error, rebooting as soon as I would see the LENOVO logo on screen. After a few times, it would enter a recovery mode with a repairing option, and safe mode etc.......
  10. BSOD Critical Service Failure - Restart Loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Critical Service Failure - Restart Loop: Hi everyone. I just turned on my computer this morning and got the bsod. I've surfed on different threads to try and solve my problem but nothing worked: - System restore - On the first attempt i got an error saying that windows could not find a file from the services...