Windows 10: BSOD Screen unreadable, can't boot into windows (even safe mode)

Discus and support BSOD Screen unreadable, can't boot into windows (even safe mode) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I am trying to get my elderly fathers laptop running again. I suspect a windows update has happened and perhaps something is wrong with his video... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by sclarke, Jan 2, 2021.

1. sclarke Win User

BSOD Screen unreadable, can't boot into windows (even safe mode)

Hi, I am trying to get my elderly fathers laptop running again. I suspect a windows update has happened and perhaps something is wrong with his video drivers perhaps. Anyways, his laptop is an HP Pavilion dv7, that I believe was factory loaded with a previous version of windows, but we upgraded it to windows 10 at some point. I know these forums ask for logs and windows versions, but without being able to get to windows at all, that's a difficult ask considering it appears I ONLY have command line capabilities.

I am getting a BSOD that is vertically pixelated (see image) , so I can't even make out the error code etc to help me figure this out.

-I ran FULL HP diagnostics and no errors were found
    -Startup Repair, couldn't repair
    -Uninstall Updates (both Feature and Quality) 'ran in to problems'
    -System Restore can't locate a restore point
    -Image Recovery can't find an image
    -All of the Safe Mode options bring me to a blank screen
    -Seems all I have is command prompt - so tried SFC, DISM. SCANDISK etc, no issues found
    -I also downloaded WIN10XPE tools from this forum, but when trying to run via a command prompt, I am getting a message that my version of windows isn't supported.

So, short of pulling the drives, and trying to go through and extract anything my dad needs to keep, then doing a clean install, I am stuck.

I'm hoping someone here can provide me some assistance, or tools, which don't require getting into windows, that I can run from a command line or other, to get this machine up and running again.

Thanks in advance

:)

sclarke, Jan 2, 2021

2. Screen flickering in safe mode help!

Hi Yasmeentq,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your query. I suggest you to follow the steps to get out of safe mode.

• Press Windows key + R

• Type msconfig

• In msconfig > Boot tab >
      Boot Options > uncheck Safe Boot > APPLY / OK.

Screen flickering in Windows 10 is usually caused by incompatible apps or display drivers. I suggest you to refer to the article below and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot screen flickering in Windows 10

Troubleshoot screen flickering in Windows 10

Regards.

SujataMoktan, Jan 2, 2021
  3. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

Have you tried all the above steps suggested by Sangeeta Sarkar on September 13, 2015.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you trying to login the Microsoft account or the Local account in safe mode?
    • Did you try with only safe mode or safe mode with networking?
    • What is the critical error you are getting?

If you are using Windows 10. To go to safe mode you have to follow the below steps.

If you are able to go to login screen in normal mode try the below steps to go to safe mode with networking.

• At the login screen click on the power symbol.

• Hold SHIFT + Click Restart.

• After restarting your system, select the Troubleshoot option.

• Select advanced options under
      Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click Restart and follow the onscreen steps to go to
      Safe Mode with networking and check if you are able to login.

[*]
    Please get back with more information, we will be glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jan 2, 2021
  4. BSOD Screen unreadable, can't boot into windows (even safe mode)

Screen flickering in Windows 10 safe mode

I haven't made any changes on my device. This screen flickering is only happening in Safe Mode.

AdhipBanerjee, Jan 2, 2021
Thema:

BSOD Screen unreadable, can't boot into windows (even safe mode)

1. BSOD Screen unreadable, can't boot into windows (even safe mode) - Similar Threads - BSOD Screen unreadable

2. Bsod. Can't boot, reinstall windows, nor boot in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bsod. Can't boot, reinstall windows, nor boot in safe mode.: Happened 2 days ago. I've updated my drivers and I use a external hard drive. The only thing I can access is the recovery page and BIOS. I don't know what to do. My BSOD looks glitched. The smiley face looks like a weird, white block, meanwhile the text is also all glitched...
  3. Infinite BSOD, can't boot into safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Infinite BSOD, can't boot into safe mode: I have been getting the infinite BSOD after I installed a driver. This had happened before and I fixed it by deleting amd software in safemode after downloading that faulty driver. Now I tried downloading a different one and my problem is back. I thought I could fix it again...
  4. Infinite BSOD, can't boot into safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Infinite BSOD, can't boot into safe mode: I have been getting the infinite BSOD after I installed a driver. This had happened before and I fixed it by deleting amd software in safemode after downloading that faulty driver. Now I tried downloading a different one and my problem is back. I thought I could fix it again...
  5. Infinite BSOD can't even go into safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Infinite BSOD can't even go into safe mode: I've been having issues with BSOD for a few months netwtw04.sys and no matter what I tried it wouldn't go away, but fine it restarted and things went fine until I turned it off again, but today after getting that BSOD, when it restarted it gave me some critical error BSOD and...
  6. Infinite BSOD can't even go into safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Infinite BSOD can't even go into safe mode: I've been having issues with BSOD for a few months netwtw04.sys and no matter what I tried it wouldn't go away, but fine it restarted and things went fine until I turned it off again, but today after getting that BSOD, when it restarted it gave me some critical error BSOD and...
  7. Infinite BSOD can't even go into safe mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. BSOD Can't boot to safe mode or desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Can't boot to safe mode or desktop: Hi all, I put my PC into sleep mode before heading out last night and upon my return I was presented with a BSOD. So I'm not actually sure if it went into sleep mode. I'm kinda at a loss as in to what is causing my bsod. It happens after the Windows logo, but doesn't...
  9. BSOD - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED on boot, even safe mode.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED on boot, even safe mode.: Hi, I'm getting a BSOD with SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED every time I try to boot. I even get this BSOD when trying to get into safe mode. There's no sys file specified. OS is Windows 10 Pro x64 (10.0.10586) Attachment 56647 I can get to it the command prompt...
  10. Unable to boot into windows (even to safe mode)

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to boot into windows (even to safe mode): Hi all, As the title describes. Attempted to turn on the computer about 1 week ago and it go stuck at the loading screen where the dots are circling. After leaving it for few hours, no change. I've removed unnecessary usb devices and disconnected other HDDs (leaving only...