Windows 10: BSOD seems to happen when attaching and removing external devices

Discus and support BSOD seems to happen when attaching and removing external devices in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Dear Sir/Madame, I have been having an intermittent problem with my Acer Aspire 5251-1805 running Windows 10 and it was not a problem previously. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by tzxlyd, Dec 27, 2016.

1. tzxlyd Win User

BSOD seems to happen when attaching and removing external devices

Dear Sir/Madame,
    I have been having an intermittent problem with my Acer Aspire 5251-1805 running Windows 10 and it was not a problem previously. I noticed that when I was attaching an external drive or wi-fi booster on my computer it will crash and restart. I get a message saying it is collecting data and will restart -- it does restart without any problems but it is frustrating because I will sometimes lose data within a program especially the voice recorder. I now have many voice recorder files that are unreadable because of the BSOD but the apps themselves are crashing too.

Many times I will find that the computer has crashed and restarted because of an app that has restarted and needs me to take some type of action that occurs only at startup. Because some apps do not restart they will no longer be running so I cannot say for certain if the app is crashing or it is the BSOD that has caused the app to no longer be running. I am attaching the zip file per the instructions and I will await a response to my problem.

:)

tzxlyd, Dec 27, 2016
  2. Ken Gano Win User

unrecognized device when removing and re-attaching sync cable without rebootingcomupter

No. If I shut off active sync, I still get the same problem.

Ken Gano, Dec 27, 2016
  3. unrecognized device when removing and re-attaching sync cable without rebootingcomupter

Verify that Activesync is not running in the background before reconnecting your device. Run the Memory applet in Start - Settings - System.

Linley Meslier, Dec 27, 2016
  4. Spectrum Win User

The .zip file you attached is empty. Please re-run the log collector.

Spectrum, Dec 27, 2016
  5. tzxlyd Win User
    Spectrum,
    I ran it again but I see it is the same size as the other file so probably the same result of an empty file. If I cannot get the collector to provide you with the information you need is there another option?

tzxlyd, Dec 27, 2016
  6. Spectrum Win User
    Do any errors occur when you attempt to run it? Have you tried running it as an administrator?

If the collector isn't working for you, the basics will be getting the minidumps and a system information report.

1. Create a folder on your desktop, ideally titled using your computer's name and the date
    2. The minidumps should be in C:\Windows\MiniDump, copy the files over to the newly created folder
    3. You can generate a system information report by launching an elevated PowerShell prompt and entering:
    Code: msinfo32 /nfo "$home\Desktop\info.nfo"[/quote] This will place info.nfo on your desktop, move it to your folder
    4. Compress the folder to a .zip and upload it here

Spectrum, Dec 27, 2016
  7. tzxlyd Win User
    There is an error-- "The system cannot find the file specified. 0 files copied." Apparently, it cannot find the "C:\windowa\minidump\*dmp". This is the message I got even after running it as Administrator.

tzxlyd, Dec 28, 2016
  8. tzxlyd Win User

I just went to that folder and it is empty.

tzxlyd, Dec 28, 2016
  9. tzxlyd Win User
    The minidump folder says it was modified on 12/19/16. I did not modify it or delete any files from it so clearly there is something that caused it to be deleted.

tzxlyd, Dec 28, 2016
  10. Spectrum Win User
    Spectrum, Dec 28, 2016
  11. tzxlyd Win User
    I just enabled small memory dumps -- it was set to kernel memory dumps so I guess that is the default since I had not changed that previously.

tzxlyd, Dec 28, 2016
  12. Spectrum Win User
    The Kernel memory dump setting should still produce a minidump alongside a MEMORY.dmp file. Do you see a MEMORY.dmp file in "C:\Windows"? If so, feel free to use dropbox or some other service to share the file with us.

Regardless, let's hope minidumps will be generated if your system crashes again.

Spectrum, Dec 28, 2016
  13. tzxlyd Win User

There is no .dmp folder or file in C:\Windows but there is a dmp folder and it too is empty. In looking at the minidump folder it says it was created on 10/3/16 at 8:29pm and was modified as I stated on 12/19/16 at 11:33am -- however it is empty.

I will await another crash to see if I can get some data....

tzxlyd, Dec 28, 2016
  14. tzxlyd Win User
    I do not know if this is important but the Windows voice recorder app that I have been using for nearly a year now was not in the system apps. I went to the Ask me anything to search for it and I received a message that it needed to be repaired so the system downloaded it for reinstall. It has downloaded and I am running it now -- I will let you know if there are any additional problems associated with it.

tzxlyd, Dec 28, 2016
  15. Spectrum Win User
    Try running the following commands from an elevated PowerShell or CMD prompt:

sfc /scannow
    dism /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    dism /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth
    sfc /scannow

After they are finished, note any messages about corruption being detected and then reboot.

Spectrum, Dec 28, 2016
Thema:

1. BSOD seems to happen when attaching and removing external devices - Similar Threads - BSOD seems happen

2. BSOD when removing USB device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD when removing USB device: Greetings.I'm having an issue with getting a BSOD when pulling out a usb drive from my cpu. It happens with 100% repeatability. So far my troubleshooting has been to do sfc/scannow, dism, windows updates, updating drivers and looking at my minidump files generated after a...
  3. BSOD when removing USB device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD when removing USB device: Greetings.I'm having an issue with getting a BSOD when pulling out a usb drive from my cpu. It happens with 100% repeatability. So far my troubleshooting has been to do sfc/scannow, dism, windows updates, updating drivers and looking at my minidump files generated after a...
  4. BSOD when removing USB device

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. BSOD: ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC - Seems to be webcam related as it happens when I access...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD: ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC - Seems to be webcam related as it happens when I access...: Today I've experienced a BSOD while using my computer - when trying to use Video for Teams/Zoom. I was informed by my system that the BSOD was a result of "ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC", and I've been looking up guides and people with similar problems on here in an attempt to...
  6. BSOD: ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC - Seems to be webcam related as it happens when I access...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD: ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC - Seems to be webcam related as it happens when I access...: Today I've experienced a BSOD while using my computer - when trying to use Video for Teams/Zoom. I was informed by my system that the BSOD was a result of "ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC", and I've been looking up guides and people with similar problems on here in an attempt to...
  7. BSOD when removing external drive

BSOD when removing external drive: I have update Windows 10 Home and created a backup with Macrium but when removing my Maxtor external drive by clicking on the hidden icons to safely remove the external drive I get a BSOD with APC Index Mismatch! I have run sfc /scannow which found some corrupted files which...
  8. Stuck on BSOD with external hard drive attached

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck on BSOD with external hard drive attached: I was processing raw image files from an external hard drive when my screen went completely black. After a few seconds, I got the BSOD for the first time ever. It has been sitting at 100% complete for about 20 minutes. The fan is making a lot of noise (it's usually silent)....
  9. disabling touchpad when external mouse is attached

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    disabling touchpad when external mouse is attached: After one of the most recent Microsoft Windows 10 updates, a feature on our HP Spectre x360 notebook stopped working. Prior to that update, we could enter touchpad setting, additional settings, and click on 'disable internal pointing device when external pointing device is...
  10. BSOD seems to happen after sleep / hibernate

BSOD seems to happen after sleep / hibernate: Hi and thanks for the help. I have an ASUS desktop which has had a couple of BSOD's over the last month, which i ignored (we have power problems on occasion) but 3 over the last 10 days and 2 today means its time to pay attention. On both occasions today i entered sleep...