Windows 10: BSOD - system freezes on start-up

Discus and support BSOD - system freezes on start-up in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello Windows 10 forum experts, I'm an old buzzard (last year of the draft) and not very tech literate, sorry. I hope I'm doing this correctly. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Scoots, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Scoots Win User

BSOD - system freezes on start-up

Hello Windows 10 forum experts,
    I'm an old buzzard (last year of the draft) and not very tech literate, sorry. I hope I'm doing this correctly.

I recently did the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my desk-top computer.
    Now, when I turn on my desk-top the system starts to load, but then it will just stop!

Sometimes the start-up screen will make it as far as displaying a several of the circling dots, but frozen, below the blue Windows logo and sometimes it's only one frozen circling dot. I've waited thru a couple of cups of coffee to see if anything happens, but nothing ever does. So, I depress and hold the power button down to turn off the computer. Then, I'll turn the computer back on and the operating system will load! This gets to be rather annoying.

So, if I have followed instructions correctly, I have attached the correct zip file to help with the diagnosis of this annoyance.

Thank you for your support and please let me know if I've screwed something up!

:)

Scoots, Sep 6, 2015
  2. motobojo Win User

BSOD - various

system information & last 3 minidumps can be found here:

20160807.zip

I recently had a fair bit of flakiness on my hpdv7 laptop. 'Flakiness' includes BSOD & freeze-ups. I find no consistency regarding when they occur. Sometimes, the occur right after I get logged in. Other times the computer can be running for hours, but
    when the computer is relatively idle.

I've run sfc /scannow and it reports finding no problems.

The most recent BSOD was a DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER. Unfortunately there is no minidump for this BSOD since the system froze creating the dump.

Prior to that I had a System Exception FLTMGR.SYS BSOD.

Any advice on how to fix this would be appreciated. I'd like to do an update to Win10 1607, but I'm hesitant to do an update with the system behaving so poorly. I don't know how a BSOD or freeze in the midst of an update would effect the system.

Thanks.

motobojo, Sep 6, 2015
  3. Computer stuck in reboot loop after BSOD error 'Critical Process Died'

My computer just started displaying the "Critical Process Died" BSOD. It is a HP Pavilion which previously ran Windows 7, but has been updated to Windows 10. It has been running fine, and just recently the desktop and taskbar started freezing up. I restarted
    it, but it stuck on the "Restarting" screen, and never restarted. I ended up doing a hard reboot. When I turned it on, the BSOD was being displayed, but the percentage never made any progress after hours of waiting. Any way to fix this?

Original title: Critical Process Died- BSOD

XenoCherry9, Sep 6, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi Scoots,

Welcome to the 10forums.

When exactly did you perform the upgrade?
    There is only 1 dump file, from last month.

I don't think that this is related to bluescreens?

axe0, Sep 6, 2015
  5. Scoots Win User
    I believe the upgrade was done 2 weeks ago.
    Thanks

Scoots, Sep 6, 2015
  6. axe0 New Member
    axe0, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD - system freezes on start-up - Similar Threads - BSOD system freezes

2. PC freeze in start up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC freeze in start up: I manage to turn on the computer I saw windows logo but before it goes to sign in page it will freeze. It happened before a long time ago and I dont know what my cousin did. He is not around and I need to boot my computer since I have lots to do....
  3. PC freeze in start up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC freeze in start up: I manage to turn on the computer I saw windows logo but before it goes to sign in page it will freeze. It happened before a long time ago and I dont know what my cousin did. He is not around and I need to boot my computer since I have lots to do....
  4. PC freeze in start up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Freezes after start-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Freezes after start-up: Can I reset Windows 10 without going through Windows?New computer, ~2 weeks old. Windows 10 programs have been freezing, happening with increasing frequency until now it freezes right after start-up. That is, it loads Windows, shows the home page with all my shortcut icons,...
  6. Freezes after start-up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Freezes after start-up: Can I reset Windows 10 without going through Windows?New computer, ~2 weeks old. Windows 10 programs have been freezing, happening with increasing frequency until now it freezes right after start-up. That is, it loads Windows, shows the home page with all my shortcut icons,...
  7. Freezes after start-up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Freezing on start up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Freezing on start up: My brand new laptop freezes at the screen before adding my pin code. The mouse moves around no problem but when I click it does nothing. Usually it should take me to the pin code entry option.So now I have to restart my Laptop just to get access to the pin code entry part....
  9. Freezing and start up issues.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Freezing and start up issues.: So, a couple weeks back my laptop start acting up. I have plans to send it in to Acer but at this point I think the warranty might be voided and not due to expiration. it started freezing and showing like colorful type lines across the screen at first, making me force shut...
  10. System freezes on start-up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System freezes on start-up: Hello Windows 10 forum experts, I'm an old buzzard (last year of the draft) and not very tech literate, sorry. I hope I'm doing this correctly. I recently did the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my desk-top computer. Now, when I turn on my desk-top the...