Windows 10: BSOD - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED on boot, even safe mode.

Discus and support BSOD - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED on boot, even safe mode. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I'm getting a BSOD with SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED every time I try to boot. I even get this BSOD when trying to get into safe mode.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by anders, Jan 1, 2016.

1. anders Win User

BSOD - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED on boot, even safe mode.

Hi, I'm getting a BSOD with SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED every time I try to boot. I even get this BSOD when trying to get into safe mode. There's no sys file specified. OS is Windows 10 Pro x64 (10.0.10586)

Attachment 56647

I can get to it the command prompt from the Win 10 troubleshooter -> Advanced Options menu. I tried running the dm_log_collector.exe from here, and it says "The sub system needed to support the image type is not present.". Is there another way I can gather the logs?

This all happened after a pop-up message offering me to upgrade to Kaspersky Internet Security 2016, from KIS 2015. That installed and said Windows needed to restart, which I did.

:)

anders, Jan 1, 2016
  2. Ivan_1001 Win User

Lenovo Yoga 12 Windows 10 BSOD after Synaptic driver installed

Hi,

I am able to go to safe mode only with advanced repairing options>startup options...

In Safe mode seems that everything working fine... touch pad is fully functional.

I`m try to set clean boot in Safe mode and windows still reboots with BSOD.

First i did clean install of windows 10 pro created with Mediacreationtoolx64.

Then i check for updates and windows install all updates.

After reboot all devices works ok... synaptics pointing device is working with all his features...

Then i did another reboot and then i get BSOD SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED > reboot

then:

- BSOD SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED > reboot

- BSOD PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR > reboot

- BSOD PAGING_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (win32kbase.sys) >reboot

- advanced repair opt. > safe mode

- it boot in Safe mode and everything works fine, touch pad fully works > reboot

- boot in normal mode, everything works fine, touch pad fully works > reboot

- advanced repair opt. > safe mode , all works fine

- setup clean boot > reboot

- uninstall Synaptics app and driver > reboot

- boot in normal mode is ok now but there is no touchpad at all

- update pointing device drviver from device manager > reboot

- uninstall Synaptics app and driver > reboot

- boot in normal mode - touchpad works with base windows driver (not fully functional but works like after clean installation of Windows 10) > reboot

- normal boot ok again > disable clean boot (restore to normal) > reboot

- boot normal, everything is fine (touchpad works with windows base driver) > reboot

- boot normal, everything is fine (touchpad works with windows base driver) > reboot

..... and again and again... boot normal...

i try to clean install windows... disable automatic update in gpedit.msc, use wushowhide to hide synaptics driver hrom update, check and install all other updates, and windows works fine (except pointing device, is not fully functional)

same issues i face with Synaptics driver from Lenovo support page... there is driver ver. 19.0.12. 61 7/9/2015 for windows 10...

Sorry for long post but it`s obvious that there is a problem with pointing device driver.

It`s very annoying...

The laptop is Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 12 20DK001XCX

Please help

Ivan_1001, Jan 1, 2016
  3. BMFC27 Win User
    Cortana broken after an upgrade

System restore causes BSOD 0xc000021a. Can’t even boot safe mode

BMFC27, Jan 1, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi anders,

Do you have a restore point prior to updating Kaspersky?

axe0, Jan 1, 2016
  5. anders Win User
    Hi, no sadly when I went to that option, there were no restore points at all. The automatic repair also does not help.

anders, Jan 1, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    Ok, lets try a few things based on the usual causes for this error.
    Please start with testing your memory, with your amount of memory it'll likely take a day to reach the requirements.

BSOD - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED on boot, even safe mode. [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    RAM TEST

Run MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Note

MemTest86+ needs to be run for at least 8 passes for conclusive results. Set it running before you go to bed and leave it overnight. We're looking for zero errors here. Even a single error will indicate RAM failure.

axe0, Jan 1, 2016
  7. anders Win User
    Thanks. I've just started Memtest86+ having just finished a complete virus check with Kaspersky Rescue Disc.

anders, Jan 1, 2016
  8. anders Win User

Memtest is still running and on pass 6 after 24 hours. Suspect pass 8 will complete when I'm asleep. I'm away with work until Wednesday evening, so will report back then. Perhaps you could let me know the next step/test please? Assuming all 8 passes complete okay, so I can hit the floor running when I'm back. Thanks.

anders, Jan 2, 2016
  9. axe0 New Member
    A next step would be to strip down the hardware to try to get your system booting again to remove Kaspersky.
    Thus, remove the graphics card, every ram stick until 1 is left and remove anything else like peripherals that isn't required for boot.

axe0, Jan 2, 2016
  10. anders Win User
    Ended up being away longer than I expected. 8 passes of Memtest did complete without error.

I've now removed everything I think I can, leaving my boot SSD, 1 stick of RAM, keyboard and mouse. I borrowed an old Nvidia graphic card from a good friend, which I swapping in for my Radeon.

Win 10 still shows the same error, can't get into safe mode. *cry

anders, Jan 8, 2016
  11. axe0 New Member
    You don't need a GPU to boot, please remove it and try to boot again in any way.

12. anders Win User
    How will I know if it boots without a monitor? I don't have on board graphics.

anders, Jan 8, 2016
  13. axe0 New Member

The GPU is a hardware component that is NOT active in safe mode.
    The GPU isn't used in safe mode, because Windows uses its own display drivers.

You really don't need a graphics card to get display, Windows will use its own display drivers.

14. anders Win User
    Sorry, I'm probably being very dense here. So I need to try booting my machine with no graphics card (and therefore no monitor). What do I do then? Hit the power button after a reasonable period of time, and plug back in my graphic card.

anders, Jan 8, 2016
  15. axe0 New Member
    Like I said, remove the GPU and try to boot.
    Do NOT put the GPU back in yet.

Thema:

1. BSOD - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED on boot, even safe mode. - Similar Threads - BSOD SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED boot

2. BSOD on boot with Stopcode: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD on boot with Stopcode: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED: Hi.I own a dell g5 SE. Yesterday, I downloaded three new updates from the dell update app. Successfully installed two, and the one remaining update was AMD Radeon graphics driver update. During the installation of this update, my laptop bluescreened, with the stopcode:...
  3. BSOD on boot with Stopcode: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD on boot with Stopcode: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED: Hi.I own a dell g5 SE. Yesterday, I downloaded three new updates from the dell update app. Successfully installed two, and the one remaining update was AMD Radeon graphics driver update. During the installation of this update, my laptop bluescreened, with the stopcode:...
  4. BSOD on boot with Stopcode: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cannot Boot to Safe Mode Even in WinRE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Boot to Safe Mode Even in WinRE: I need help as soon as possible!How it got started:I was installing the Microsoft Hyper-V virtual network adapter in Device Manager. It took some time, but eventually it was successfully installed. Then I noticed ntoskrnl.exe CPU usage suddenly gone up. I immediately tried...
  6. BSOD boot loop "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD boot loop "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED": After upgrading to the latest driver for my graphics card (RX 580) I started getting BSOD's so I installed the latest stable driver and now I'm still getting BSOD's in a boot loop (whenever I boot up to windows it waits a second then crashes). The error is...
  7. BSOD Screen unreadable, can't boot into windows (even safe mode)

BSOD Screen unreadable, can't boot into windows (even safe mode): Hi, I am trying to get my elderly fathers laptop running again. I suspect a windows update has happened and perhaps something is wrong with his video drivers perhaps. Anyways, his laptop is an HP Pavilion dv7, that I believe was factory loaded with a previous version of...
  8. Windows not even launching and booting me into safe mode

Windows not even launching and booting me into safe mode: So every time since I've replaced my motherboard and cpu ever time I boot my pc windows 10 dosent even launch and it boots me straight into safe mode and gives me error messages either saying CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED or a :\windows\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt I've tried...
  9. BSOD immediately after booting, System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled

BSOD immediately after booting, System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled: Hi, So this is the 4th time my PC has crashed because of the same file in the past 2 years. The file that is constantly causing the BSOD is rtsuvc.sys which is the Lenovo EasyCamera driver, ie Webcam driver. Error: System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled File: rtsuvc.sys...
  10. Unable to boot into windows (even to safe mode)

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to boot into windows (even to safe mode): Hi all, As the title describes. Attempted to turn on the computer about 1 week ago and it go stuck at the loading screen where the dots are circling. After leaving it for few hours, no change. I've removed unnecessary usb devices and disconnected other HDDs (leaving only...