Windows 10: BSOD Thread_Stuck_In_Device_Driver when playing games with Ryzen 4800U

Discus and support BSOD Thread_Stuck_In_Device_Driver when playing games with Ryzen 4800U in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello! I'm posting here as I have been battling with my new laptop for a month now without success. My current configuration is: Lenovo IdeaPad... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Maetel, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Maetel Win User

BSOD Thread_Stuck_In_Device_Driver when playing games with Ryzen 4800U

Hello!

I'm posting here as I have been battling with my new laptop for a month now without success. My current configuration is:

Lenovo IdeaPad 5-15ARE05

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800U
    GPU: Integrated Vega Graphics
    RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz Hynix dual channel
    SSD: 512GB NVMe TLC Samsung MZVLB512HBJK
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 2004 build 19041.388

I have received this laptop on 04th of June and it works as it should for almost everything I need it for. The only time it crashes with a THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER BSOD is when I play games. It started from the very first day I got the laptop as I installed Steam straight away, and it occurs on every game I have tried so far. Such games are:

A Bird Story, Castle of Illusion, Game of Thrones, Tales from the Borderlands, The Walking Dead: Michonne, The Wolf Among Us, Valiant Hearts

If any of you is a gamer and knows these games you should know they are not very demanding and my machine is perfectly able to run them at max settings. Such crashes are "random" and there is no specific point in a game where the system will always crash.

What I have done so far in order to find what's causing instability is the following:

- using the laptop monitor or an external one, but no matter which one I use the BSOD will appear
    - reinstalling W10 with Version 1909, because the 2004 one is known to have issues with Lenovo laptops. Unfortunately yesterday the system has crashed anyway...
    - disabling Turbo Boost as this laptop gets very hot when under load. So hot that it would reach 100C everytime, leading me to believe the system was simply shutting down due overheating. With the CPU running at the stock 1.8GHz and not reaching 4.3GHz anymore the maximum temperature reported by both HWInfo and Hardware Monitor is 60C which is very reasonable, but yesterday I still got the BSOD, so supposedly it's not a temp problem either...
    - I have tried two different sets of GPU drivers. The first one is provided directly by Lenovo here: laptops and netbooks :: 5 series :: ideapad 5 15are05 - GB and the second one by AMD here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previ...-ryzen-7-4800u and when I did the latest one was Adrenalin 20.5.1.
    I have not tried the latest version released last week as I have had issues with already 2 different drivers, and "apparently" the ones provided by the OEM are more stable with this particular machine
    - increasing VRAM from 512MB to 2GB in the BIOS, even though I know W10 should allocate it dynamically
    - playing both in full screen or windowed, no change here too
    - running MemTest86 overnight with 8 passes but no error message
    - running full diagnostics with the Lenovo Diagnostics Windows app, however I will probably try things like CrystalDiskInfo, etc. to test again the components

I thought that this was due overheating / buggy W10 / buggy GPU driver but it seems they are not the cause, so now I'm trying different things unless you can point me to the right direction. I have today updated the BIOS as a new version has been released and changed TDR Delay by adding a voice in the registry and using the value "8" as suggested on various websites. If nothing works I will see if these issues happen whether the laptop is running on battery and/or on mains, but after that I will not know what else to do.

I'm obviously upload the V2 thingy you ask for and attach a link to Google Drive for one of the memory dumps.

Thanks and let me know if you need anything else!!

MEMORY.DMP - Google Drive

:)

Maetel, Jul 16, 2020

2. BSOD When playing games

Hi Jackson,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Please share the information requested below:

• Does the BSOD occur while playing a particular game?
    • Is the game downloaded from Windows Store?

I suggest you to update the Graphic Card drivers by following the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts to update.

Refer the link below for more information:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 16, 2020
  3. PiCASSiMO Win User
    Bsod - thread_stuck_in_device_driver

It's been a while since I've posted to the forums, where fortunately I haven't had issues with my old build.

Unfortunately, on this Ryzen 5 build (Windows 10, Version 1909, OS Build 18363.752), we've been getting a lot of Windows 10 freezing, along with too many too count BSOD with the THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER message.

Below are both the system info and V2 dump:

• Ryzen5BSOD-SystemInfo.zip
    • RYZEN5-(2020-04-08_19-22-00).zip

BSOD - Google Drive

Many thanks in advance.

PiCASSiMO, Jul 16, 2020
  4. BSOD Thread_Stuck_In_Device_Driver when playing games with Ryzen 4800U

Crashes with BSOD Thread_stuck_in_device_driver when playing games

Original title: Crashes

Ever sense i got the update from my computers maker. I've been getting crashes while I'm playing my games. World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2. Sometimes when it crashes it will go to a blue screen saying its reporting the crash and is restarting and is also
    giving me an error code. Thread_stuck_in_device_driver. And sometimes when it crashes it will just go to a complete red screen with nothing on it. The system was working fine before the Crimson Edition
    16.7.3 update. I will post my graphics and everything down below. All help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Graphics: AMD Radeon(TM) R7

Processor: AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7.12 Compute Cores 4C +8G (4CPUs)

AustinCrum, Jul 16, 2020
Thema:

BSOD Thread_Stuck_In_Device_Driver when playing games with Ryzen 4800U

1. BSOD Thread_Stuck_In_Device_Driver when playing games with Ryzen 4800U - Similar Threads - BSOD Thread_Stuck_In_Device_Driver playing

2. BSOD THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER: Lately, I have been getting the Thread Stuck in Device Driver BSOD error when I try to play games or watch videos on my PC. It will never happen when I am using things like zoom or a web browser that is not playing videos. I have tried everything to fix this including...
  3. Iconsistent THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER BSOD

Iconsistent THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER BSOD: The Problem: I have an Acer Aspire A515-41G-13U1 an awful laptop that I bought a little over a year ago. It's always had problems with blue screens from removing the charger cable to just playing a game and I have never managed to solve them, not even after sending it to...
  4. Bsod - thread_stuck_in_device_driver

Bsod - thread_stuck_in_device_driver: It's been a while since I've posted to the forums, where fortunately I haven't had issues with my old build. Unfortunately, on this Ryzen 5 build (Windows 10, Version 1909, OS Build 18363.752), we've been getting a lot of Windows 10 freezing, along with too many too count...
  5. Frequent BSOD THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

Frequent BSOD THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER: More details in the zip, but here's the summary of the situation. I bought this Asus TUF FX505DT gaming laptop about 2 weeks ago and ever since then I experienced frequent BSOD mainly THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER. My previous laptop intel + nvidia pair never had BSOD like...
  6. Thread_stuck_in_device_driver bsod

Thread_stuck_in_device_driver bsod: Hi. I got this THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER BSOD and it happens at least twice a month. I ran the BlueScreenView application and it shows: [img] Dump file is also attached. I'm running not the latest AMD drivers for a reason. The latest drivers remove support from AMD...
  7. BSOD THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER 0x100000ea

BSOD THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER 0x100000ea: I was away from the pc having dinner came back and noticed pc had rebooted itself before i left the pc to have dinner I had edge browser open with a few tabs running and toview app running for the tv I believe I had a update installed Security Update for Adobe Flash Player...
  8. BSOD THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER error

BSOD THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER error: Hi there, I've a problem when playing games or attempting to update my processor, at the moment when I try to update to amd Catalyst Software Suite 15.7.1 I get the BSOD in the title. I've run sfc/scannow multiple times and it's showed no errors and also Dism /Online /...
  9. BSOD Thread_Stuck_In_Device_Driver, mostly when gaming/updating games

BSOD Thread_Stuck_In_Device_Driver, mostly when gaming/updating games: All righty, so I've been getting this particular BSOD for maybe a month now. The first day I got it several times in a row, though recently it's changed to roughly once a week. Regardless I'd like to get rid of it. A few things that I've noticed: 1: If I'm not gaming, it...
  10. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER BSOD error when browsing, and playing

THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER BSOD error when browsing, and playing: Yet again, I'm here with a problem. Not the same that I got when I had avast! antivirus. Today I just uninstalled avast! antivirus, because it made the computer get THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER problems. Until now it was disabled. But when I uninstalled AVAST it just started...