Windows 10: BSOD Trying to Create Windows 10 Installation Flash Drive

Discus and support BSOD Trying to Create Windows 10 Installation Flash Drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Greetings, I am attempting to create a USB installation drive so I can reinstall a friend's machine. Yes...I know I can reset his machine. Please... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GrahamDerreck, Mar 12, 2021.

1. BSOD Trying to Create Windows 10 Installation Flash Drive

Greetings,

I am attempting to create a USB installation drive so I can reinstall a friend's machine. Yes...I know I can reset his machine. Please bear with me.

Every time I run the media creation tool, the data downloads, and then my machine freezes and I get a Blue Screen. Here are the steps I take, leading to the BSOD this is repeatable:

-delete any previous downloaded installation files from my system drive

-pause protection on my antivirus

-download a fresh copy of the installation media tool

-go into DiskPart and clean, then setup the flash drive from scratch

-check the flash drive for file system errors

-check the system drive for file system errors

-disable Macrium Image Guardian prevents tampering with backup image files

-run the media tool

-accept license

-accept the default setup

-media tool downloads the data and goes to 100% without issue

-media begins creating installation and I get a STOP screen about 7-10% of the way through the media creation routine

Things I have tried nothing worked:

-attempted to run the tool in Safe Mode, but I got a dialogue stating the routine could not start.

-I normally attach a flash drive to a 6 foot USB 3 extension cable. I unplugged the drive from the extension and inserted it directly into a USB port.

NOTE: I should point out that I couldn't initialize a new SSD connected with a SATA adapter to the USB extension. I had to attach it directly to the USB port. However, as pointed out above, that didn't make any difference when attempting to create the installation media.

-ran PassMark MemTest86 for full 4 passes no errors and then ran Aida64 System Stability test for 10 minutes. The Aida test is not definitive at 10 minutes, but I wanted to see if the system was unstable under a load. The system crashes, almost on cue, at about 7-10% into the creation process, which is about 8 minutes from the time I start the tool.

-the system is not unstable and I haven't received any other Blue Screens.

I ran WhoCrashed and have shared an HTML summary in OneDrive. I'm not sure what the policy is here regarding links, so I have listed it replacing symbols with words. Here is the link. The periods are red, the forward slashes green and the exclamation is blue. Forgive the overkill. I just thought it might help :

https[COLOR=rgba192, 0, 0, 1]DOT[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba112, 173, 71, 1]FSFS[/COLOR]1drv[COLOR=rgba192, 0, 0, 1]DOT[/COLOR]ms[COLOR=rgba112, 173, 71, 1]FS[/COLOR]u[COLOR=rgba112, 173, 71, 1]FS[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]s[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba112, 173, 71, 1][COLOR=rgba68, 114, 196, 1]EXCLAMATION[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]AqnmatYsTMoHhbpc3vtCWulk9FrTzw[/COLOR][/COLOR]

I would really like to get the installation flash drive setup. I am hoping better minds than mine yes that is a compliment to you, can give me some guidance.

Thanks,

Graham

:)

GrahamDerreck, Mar 12, 2021
  2. regism Win User

How to create Windows 10 system image on a usb flash drive

Thanks Maria:

I made a system image on a USB flash drive using the tools available in Windows 10. I want to make this image bootable so that I can reinstall it on my computer from the same USB flash drive. Can I do this using the method you have suggested?

If not, can you or anyone else tell me how to do this?

Thanks again,

Regis

regism, Mar 12, 2021
  3. Windows 10 fails to create a Recovery Drive and turns 64GB Flash into a 32GB Flash!

Hello,

Appreciate the detailed post. As per the description of the issue, this can be caused by hidden files. For us to check, follow the steps below:

• Search for File Explorer and press Enter.
    • Click on View.
    • Put a check mark on the Hidden items box.
    • See if there are additional files and folders that will appear.

If there are no hidden items, we suggest that you
    create a new user profile.
    Since the issue is the same on different flash drives, this can also be caused by a corrupted user profile. Try creating a recovery drive in the new user profile and let us know if it works.

Get back to us if anything else comes up.

Jennifer Bri, Mar 12, 2021
  4. BSOD Trying to Create Windows 10 Installation Flash Drive

little cat, Mar 12, 2021
Thema:

BSOD Trying to Create Windows 10 Installation Flash Drive

1. BSOD Trying to Create Windows 10 Installation Flash Drive - Similar Threads - BSOD Trying Create

2. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a bootable flash drive: Hello beautiful people I'm creating a bootable thumb drive because I have 2 new computers and one is having issues. So going by the answers in these forums I have been unsuccessful fixing the issues and the next on the list from here was to do this . My question is How long...
  3. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a bootable flash drive: Hello beautiful people I'm creating a bootable thumb drive because I have 2 new computers and one is having issues. So going by the answers in these forums I have been unsuccessful fixing the issues and the next on the list from here was to do this . My question is How long...
  4. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. trying to install windows 10 on usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    trying to install windows 10 on usb flash drive: so im trying to install win10 using media creation tool , but when i get to about 30% in the verifying stage, it says i dont have enough space. it cant be the usb because ive used multiple with storage all 8gb or higher. any help would be apricated, thanks! submitted by...
  6. Installing windows 10 in flash drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing windows 10 in flash drive: What assignment unit size do i need to choose? I have the options of: 8192,16,32 and 64kb submitted by /u/lililpotato [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jvgaig/installing_windows_10_in_flash_drive/
  7. Creating a Recovery on Flash Drive

Creating a Recovery on Flash Drive: I've followed the blog about issues creating a recovery drive in Win10. I've had a flash drive plugged in for two days trying to create a recovery drive. The progress indicator green is half way through. What's the deal??? Can't you make a better product! Please advise on...
  8. Create a recovery drive trashing flash drive - Windows 10

Create a recovery drive trashing flash drive - Windows 10: I am trying to create a recovery drive for my Dell Pc recently upgraded to Windows 10. I am following the support instructions at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026852/windows-create-a-recovery-drive, but when i connect a 32GB USB flash drive at step 3, on...
  9. USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10?

USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10?: Good morning, Prior to beginning I am making this post to ask a few questions concerning Brinks' tutorial https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html I am using an All-In-One HP Pavilion 23-g017c (x64) AMD A6-5200 APU w/Radeon HD Graphics, running Windows 10,...
  10. Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10: How to: Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 How to Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 from This tutorial will show you how to create a bootable USB flash drive that can be used to install Windows 10 with or without UEFI....