Windows 10: BSOD Upon Automatic Windows Update

Discus and support BSOD Upon Automatic Windows Update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; The Problem A few months ago, my [Dell Pre-built] Win 10 PC was prompted to automatically install a Windows update. At this time, I had updates set... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by mattwarren, Mar 10, 2018.

1. BSOD Upon Automatic Windows Update

The Problem

A few months ago, my [Dell Pre-built] Win 10 PC was prompted to automatically install a Windows update. At this time, I had updates set to manually install.

However, after that update, my PC began to update, got to about 25% and then segued straight into one of those newfangled Win 10 BSOD error. The stop code: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. I rebooted. Then again with the error. On the third attempt, Windows had the good sense to revert.

I've been building and/or using PC's most of my life and this was actually new. I'd never had a standard Windows Update on a pre-built machine immediately tank.

I wish I'd kept notes on that original error. I looked online, found a handful of people who had the same issue, and then learned that I could just temporarily tell Windows to not update the particular package. I used the Windows 10 Update Assistant.

Problem solved. Until this morning. I woke to find that Windows was just about ready to reboot and install the update. Without thinking (and because it'd been so long), I just allowed the update to happen. But then our pal BSOD returned. Again, on the third attempt it reverted.

I ended up going through that yet again when I wasn't able to disable the Windows Update process (stop it from Autostarting and Disable if possible). But then, after that I now have an out-of-date-but-actually-usable machine.

Data I've Collected So Far

I searched the web for the least obviously spyware looking advice I could find and avoided any dumb site that told me I need to download some custom tool. I found a link to this page and followed some of the advice.

First, I ran SFC Scanner (sfc/scannow at command prompt) and it got the whole way through the scan. In the end, I received the only solid bit of data that alludes to a direct problem:

This log-file is included with this post. At least there's something to point at, right? I don't know how to read those things, but I'm pretty sure the phrase "Primitive installers committed for repair" shouldn't appear like a million times in that logfile.

I continued by running the Windows Memory Diagnostic and, after a reboot and running the thing and then returning me to Windows, it told me there were no problems.

Next I started Windows Defender and ran a full scan. After a marathon three hours of that, I got the all clear. No problems found.

After that, I skipped other things on that URL above. Defragging the registry is not the problem. That said, I sure don't know what the problem is outside the barest outlines.

Here's what I attached:

• CBS Log on 2018-03-10.zip - Logfile from my SFC Scanner run
    • Computer Dump Info on 2018-03-10.zip - The bunch of stuff requested by each poster to this channel

Any help would be much appreciated. For now, I'm just remaining vigilant and keeping Windows Update disabled. But that is clearly not a long-term strategy.

:)

mattwarren, Mar 10, 2018
  2. FourNodes Win User

Very high CPU Usage for no apparent reason

When the BSOD came, I did change the configuration from automatic memory dump to minidumps, upon initial analysis and searching online it came down to graphic driver, after updating the graphics driver using drivereasy, the BSOD issue was gone but this
    constant CPU usage started.

FourNodes, Mar 10, 2018
  3. after ms updates, booklet not shutting down completely

Recently, I was getting occassional BSODs upon shutting down Windows. Did a restore, and no more BSODs. Have disabled MS updates for the moment.

hemantkamat, Mar 10, 2018
  4. BSOD Upon Automatic Windows Update

It's happening again. I can't stop Windows Update from going through this madness. It doesn't matter what instructions I follow.

Any help would be appreciated. This is effectively crippling my system.

mattwarren, Mar 10, 2018
  5. I think I've stopped it. Previously, I disabled Windows Update via services.msc. Some Windows-shaped thing must have triggered it to resume. I might have done it without realizing. Who knows.

But the problem still remains. Any idea how I might be able to stop this?

mattwarren, Mar 11, 2018
  6. I am still having this problem. I don't know how Windows Update keeps getting re-prompted but it's becoming crazy.

mattwarren, Mar 13, 2018
  7. I have an active Microsoft Support thread here. Still investigating.

mattwarren, Mar 13, 2018
  8. philc43 Win User

BSOD Upon Automatic Windows Update

Please update us with how you get on. There are no crash dumps to analyse since the dump initialisation fails every time.

On the SFC please note that it can take three runs of this utility before it fixes all the problems.

Memory management errors do not always point to the memory itself being a problem it just means that something has not been managing the memory address space properly and it can be drivers. If you wanted to test your RAM more thoroughly we recommend memtest86+. Details below:

BSOD Upon Automatic Windows Update [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    RAM TEST

Run MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Note

MemTest86+ needs to be run for at least 8 complete passes for conclusive results. Set it running before you go to bed and leave it overnight. We're looking for zero errors here. Even a single error will indicate RAM failure.

Make a photo of the result and post it.

Addition:
    If errors show up you can stop the test, remove all sticks but 1 and test this single stick in each slot for 8 passes or until errors show, switch sticks and repeat.

We also have a beta log collector tool (at the end of the BSOD posting instructions) that digs a bit deeper into the system. You could try running that and posting the results.

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

BSOD Upon Automatic Windows Update

1. BSOD Upon Automatic Windows Update - Similar Threads - BSOD Upon Automatic

2. Windows 10 BSOD upon bootup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 BSOD upon bootup: I get a blue screen with an error message "Whea Uncorrectable Error" sometimes when I start my computer. It usually happens when I've just logged in. It seems that the blue screen is more likely to occur if I haven't used my computer for a long time maybe say 1 day or longer....
  3. Windows 10 BSOD upon bootup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 BSOD upon bootup: I get a blue screen with an error message "Whea Uncorrectable Error" sometimes when I start my computer. It usually happens when I've just logged in. It seems that the blue screen is more likely to occur if I haven't used my computer for a long time maybe say 1 day or longer....
  4. Windows 10 BSOD upon bootup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BSOD upon enabling Virtualization

BSOD upon enabling Virtualization: Hi forums, I've just begun trying out virtualization in Windows 10 Enterprise and as you can guess from the title, it didn't turn out so well. Every time I enable Hyper-V or Virtualisation in the Programs and Features section of the Control Panel, I'm prompted to restart but...
  6. Sudden BSOD upon startup

Sudden BSOD upon startup: Hi. I turned on my laptop this morning. After bootup I got BSOD. See the image below. What seems to be the problem? Tried restarting the laptop after BSOD and I think it's okay now....
  7. Reopen all applications upon automatic reboot due to Windows Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reopen all applications upon automatic reboot due to Windows Update: Hey everyone. So Microsoft is doing automatic Windows Updates on my laptop every now and then and asks for a reboot. I understand the the updates are important. However I do strong multitasking, and typically have several desktops open with different programs, file...
  8. BSOD upon booting and during automatic system repair

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD upon booting and during automatic system repair: Hey guys, my computer blue screened earlier with 'Page Fault in a nonpaged area' and has since had a bluescreen with varying stop codes on boot. When it gets to automatic repair it bluescreens part way through preventing me from getting into safe mode. I've tried booting...
  9. Desktop Restarts Automatically Upon Shutdown

Desktop Restarts Automatically Upon Shutdown: Each time I shutdown my computer, after a second or two, it restarts by itself. How do I prevent this from recurring? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/desktop-restarts-automatically-upon-shutdown/a4adf780-aac1-48b3-aecc-9cca6804e9eb
  10. Windows 10 BSOD AFTER AUTOMATIC UPDATE !?

Windows 10 BSOD AFTER AUTOMATIC UPDATE !?: Windows 10 automatic update BSOD loop cant start !? So earlier in the evening my computer randomly shut off every time I tried to restart it says "Windows 10 Automatic Repair couldn’t repair your PC" it just goes in a loop. Cant even boot in safe mode (only able to use...