Windows 10: BSOD various stop codes, unable to boot past post even w/ safe mode

Discus and support BSOD various stop codes, unable to boot past post even w/ safe mode in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; The problem started when a game froze, and I did a hard reboot of the computer. Since then every boot attempt crashes after the BIOS screen, even when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by qash5, Nov 21, 2016.

1. qash5 Win User

BSOD various stop codes, unable to boot past post even w/ safe mode

The problem started when a game froze, and I did a hard reboot of the computer. Since then every boot attempt crashes after the BIOS screen, even when trying safe mode and even with a brand new hard drive and clean install of Windows 10. I'm completely unable to boot to windows so I am unable to post a dump file or any other file from the machine. I can boot into the blue repair screens using a Media Tools thumb drive, but that's it. And even that often crashes.

My specs:
    MSI Z170a gaming 7 motherboard
    Skylake cpu
    2 sticks of 8 gig ram
    Geforce GPU (don't remember the exact model)
    Samsung Evo 500 gig SSD (and now a brand new second one)
    Networking & sound is built into the mobo

Here's what I've done so far:
    • Updated BIOS, flashed, and reset CMOS (repeated several times)
    • Tried booting in safe mode = crashes in the same place, same way
    • Using Media Recovery Tools on thumb drive, I've tried rolling the OS to every available save point = says "unable to refresh"; tried repairing, says "unable to repair"; tried resetting, says "gathering files" and then crashes
    • Tried various command prompts recommended in forums (e.g. bootrec) = no change
    • Weirdly, bootrec /rebuildbcd = says completed successfully / "total identified windows installations: 0" -- that isn't right, is it?
    • Pulled out RAM, tried different slots and different configurations = no change
    • Ran Memtest for 15 passes = no errors found in RAM
    • Pulled out GPU and replaced it with GPU from another machine that works = no change
    • Visual check of mobo for damage, tried a swapping out a few wires = no change
    • Took out old SSD and connected brand new SSD, ran clean install using recovery thumb drive. That made the system more stable. I was able to consistently boot to the login screen (whereas before it would crash unpredictably), but it still crashed with BSOD every time after login. Still unable to boot to safe mode.
    • Foolishly, I tried to reinstall windows on that new drive. It crashed half way through, and now the drive also can't boot reliably even to post.

So here are the questions I would most like help with:
    • The obvious culprit is bad/corrupted drivers, but shouldn't a brand new hard drive with a clean install fixed that? Are there drivers (other than bios) that live in the mobo that could be corrupted?
    • Is it possible this is malware? I had no indication of a problem before this sudden catastrophic failure. And again, wouldn't a new hard drive with a clean install have booted? The old drive was fully disconnected when I did the install.
    • If this is hardware, is it either the mobo or the power supply? (Ram tested fine, swapping out the GPU didn't change anything, and new hard drive didn't change anything -- those are the only extra cards I'm using.)
    • Is there anyway to reliable test whether the mobo is bad w/o replacing it?

:)

qash5, Nov 21, 2016
  2. ConalF Win User

SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

I'm afraid I am completely unable to get to the desktop GUI, the BSOD appears even in Safe-Mode.

I might be able to boot straight into CMD and I do have other computers on the LAN.

ConalF, Nov 21, 2016
  3. BeverlyBD Win User
    Inaccessible boot device

Unable to get past step 1 . Tried both safe mode and safe mode with networking. Goes back to BSOD various stop codes, unable to boot past post even w/ safe mode :( inaccessible boot device.

BeverlyBD, Nov 21, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello and welcome to tenForums *Smile

Without any files to analyse there is not a lot that we can do in this section of the Forum. Maybe you can get better help in the General section. In the meantime I would point you to the following thread which provides a tool for investigating this:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

philc43, Nov 22, 2016
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Try removing half the ram, see what happens. If no change swap removed and installed ram.

Ztruker, Nov 23, 2016
  6. qash5 Win User
    It was the motherboard. Swapped a new one in & now it works fine. At least so far. Thanks everyone for the support.

qash5, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD various stop codes, unable to boot past post even w/ safe mode - Similar Threads - BSOD various stop

2. Unable to boot into safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to boot into safe mode: Hello,Today I needed to enter in safe mode in order to perform some tasks, anyway when I select "Safe mode" from the repair tool the screen gets stuck on the boot logo.Already tried to run sfc /scannow and "repair startup problems", but those didn't fix the problem. Any other...
  3. Unable to boot into safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to boot into safe mode: Hello,Today I needed to enter in safe mode in order to perform some tasks, anyway when I select "Safe mode" from the repair tool the screen gets stuck on the boot logo.Already tried to run sfc /scannow and "repair startup problems", but those didn't fix the problem. Any other...
  4. Windows BSOD with various stop codes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows BSOD with various stop codes: I have run into several BSODs in the past month, with stop codes PAD_POOL_CALLER, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE and more. The frequency of the BSODs is random -- sometimes I see two BSODs within 48 hours, sometimes in weeks or even months. I have owned the...
  5. Unable to boot safe mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to boot safe mode: So I’ve tried to boot safe mode to remove some files but whenever I got pass the restart now, it boots up, spins for a second and the screen remains black, I use boot camp so from my Touch Bar I know my laptop is running. What should I do?...
  6. Stop Code Error & Unable to Boot into Safe Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stop Code Error & Unable to Boot into Safe Mode: Hi, My partner has been encountering some issues with his PC for a little than a month and we feel like we are hitting a brick wall with finding a resolution. Firstly, upon starting up the PC we are met with the blue screen of death and a Stop Code error. Upon following...
  7. Unable to boot into windows: Receiving various stop codes and errors.

Unable to boot into windows: Receiving various stop codes and errors.: Hi! This is the first problem i've never been able to solve with a few google searches and so my first forum post (Sorry if this is in the wrong place)! Since updating to Win10 I've had loads of minor issues, however this time seems a bit more serious. I'm unable to boot...
  8. BSOD - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED on boot, even safe mode.

BSOD - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED on boot, even safe mode.: Hi, I'm getting a BSOD with SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED every time I try to boot. I even get this BSOD when trying to get into safe mode. There's no sys file specified. OS is Windows 10 Pro x64 (10.0.10586) Attachment 56647 I can get to it the command prompt...
  9. BSOD Various Stop Codes, Various Reasons

BSOD Various Stop Codes, Various Reasons: Trying to figure out what causes all these stop codes. New computer, specs below. Sometimes while working in Adobe Premiere Pro, I get a crash. Sometimes it's when I move the mouse. Sometimes, it's when I open a program. Each time, it seems, I get a different code. I have no...
  10. Unable to boot into windows (even to safe mode)

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to boot into windows (even to safe mode): Hi all, As the title describes. Attempted to turn on the computer about 1 week ago and it go stuck at the loading screen where the dots are circling. After leaving it for few hours, no change. I've removed unnecessary usb devices and disconnected other HDDs (leaving only...