Windows 10: BSOD when booting with USB if my SSD drive is installed in system.

Discus and support BSOD when booting with USB if my SSD drive is installed in system. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After cloning a drive with bad sectors onto brand new 970 SSD and loading it onto brand new system I got BSOD at startup at first but somehow windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LarryGold2, Mar 24, 2023.

1. BSOD when booting with USB if my SSD drive is installed in system.

After cloning a drive with bad sectors onto brand new 970 SSD and loading it onto brand new system I got BSOD at startup at first but somehow windows seemed to to startup normally after that. After restart i keep getting continuous BSOD KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED on startup. It doesn't make it to advanced startup options before BSOD. All this is somewhat unsurprising since old drive had bad sectors. However I now find I can't even access a USB recovery drive on startup if the SSD is installed. BIOS set to boot from USB of course if I switch out the drive the laptop seems to be working ju

:)

LarryGold2, Mar 24, 2023

2. Different drive selected as system?

Hi and thanks for reaching out. My name is Jan. I'm an independent Microsoft Advisor and a user like you. I'll be happy to help you out today.

I suggest disconnecting first the SSD then try to boot to check if you can still boot if the SSD has been formatted. As it is tagged as system drive, Also backup

files before formatting the drive to avoid data loss.

One easy workaround is to boot your pc with a USB installation media,.

Click install now

next > advance> prompt (where do you want to install the windows?)

Then open "drive options"

It will show a list of disk and options ( from there you can format your ssd)

Once formatted "cancel the installation". and remove the USB.

Important

*Make sure that you choose the correct drive. And you already back up your files before doing the steps to avoid data loss.

TechPenguin, Mar 24, 2023
  3. X-PhilS Win User
    Z Book BSOD with Second SSD Drive

Hi all

I have an issue with an HP Z Book. It is a new Generation 6 device and came with a pre-installed second SSD drive.

All worked fine until I tried to put our corporate image onto the primary OS SSD.

Firstly, the new OS installed onto the secondary SSD rather than the primary.

So I disconnected/removed the secondary, recreated the partition on the primary and loaded our stock OS.

The machine now works absolutely fine, as long as I do not try to re-introduce the second SSD drive.

If I reinstall this, the machine boots up OK for a second or two and then BSOD's.

Can anyone suggest the reason for this issue - the BSOD message reported a kernel error.

Any ideas on steps to take to resolve this?

Thanks

Phil

X-PhilS, Mar 24, 2023
  4. thraxed Win User

BSOD when booting with USB if my SSD drive is installed in system.

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Mar 24, 2023
Thema:

BSOD when booting with USB if my SSD drive is installed in system.

1. BSOD when booting with USB if my SSD drive is installed in system. - Similar Threads - BSOD booting USB

2. BSOD when booting with USB if my SSD drive is installed in system.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD when booting with USB if my SSD drive is installed in system.: After cloning a drive with bad sectors onto brand new 970 SSD and loading it onto brand new system I got BSOD at startup at first but somehow windows seemed to to startup normally after that. After restart i keep getting continuous BSOD KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED on startup....
  3. BSOD when booting with USB if my SSD drive is installed in system.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD when booting with USB if my SSD drive is installed in system.: After cloning a drive with bad sectors onto brand new 970 SSD and loading it onto brand new system I got BSOD at startup at first but somehow windows seemed to to startup normally after that. After restart i keep getting continuous BSOD KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED on startup....
  4. My bootable usb is not detecting when system is booting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My bootable usb is not detecting when system is booting: I am currently using Ubuntu 20.04,I changed my usb to bootable usb to install windows 10 in my system.but when i restart system and enter into bios, usb is not detecting....
  5. My bootable usb is not detecting when system is booting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My bootable usb is not detecting when system is booting: I am currently using Ubuntu 20.04,I changed my usb to bootable usb to install windows 10 in my system.but when i restart system and enter into bios, usb is not detecting....
  6. My bootable usb is not detecting when system is booting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Total system writes on a SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Total system writes on a SSD boot drive: I recently got a m.2 SSD as boot drive. While going through its SSD's toolkit recommended by the manufacturer, I noticed that atleast 1GB of data gets written on every boot sometimes 2 or 5. I checked the resources monitor, it showed the system that is doing all the writing....
  8. Cannot boot with usb after installed ssd

Cannot boot with usb after installed ssd: I installed a ssd to my laptop and replaced the hdd by it so I try to reinstall windows by using usb boot, I used the mct to make it. But it is not working, It didnt boot with the usb, instead, it keep rebooting like this. https://streamable.com/ibucshI tried to install back...
  9. Windows 10 tablet won't boot a windows install USB drive with the m.2 SSD installed... when...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 tablet won't boot a windows install USB drive with the m.2 SSD installed... when...: A little background, it's a dell venue pro 11 7140 (core m, 8 gigs of ram) and it stopped booting about a week ago. It hangs on the rotating dots. Selecting the USB drive from the boot menu accomplishes nothing. Here's where it gets weird: if I PHYSICALLY remove the SSD and...
  10. How to manage installations when C drive is SSD Boot Drive

How to manage installations when C drive is SSD Boot Drive: This isn't a question pertaining to installing Windows specific files, but general installation of programs and apps on a system with a maxed out C drive thats an SSD Boot Drive with only 100gb capacity, and a empty D Drive that is an HDD with 1TB capacity. I bought my wife...