Windows 10: BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD

Discus and support BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Long story short, I've purchased a 5TB WD Mypassport USB C HDD to replace my 4tb wd my passport and I'm usding syncback to copy over about 2.8TB of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by mkr10001, Jan 13, 2020.

1. mkr10001 Win User

BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD

Long story short, I've purchased a 5TB WD Mypassport USB C HDD to replace my 4tb wd my passport and I'm usding syncback to copy over about 2.8TB of backups and what not

Twice now I've had it crash while running. I've come back to it and found it has restarted. found the following dumps which match up with the times it would have happened using nirsoft BlueScreenView (not sure how useful they are though)

010720-7468-01.dmp 07/01/2020 17:46:26 DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION 0x000000e6 00000000`00000026 ffff898a`4a7f8060 00000000`000000a8 00000000`00000006 hal.dll hal.dll+41a7f Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 10.0.18362.387 (WinBuild.160101.0800) x64 ntoskrnl.exe+1c14e0 C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\010720-7468-01.dmp 4 15 18362 1,470,788 07/01/2020 17:47:16

010620-9265-01.dmp 06/01/2020 23:27:39 DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION 0x000000e6 00000000`00000026 ffffbd0b`85df0060 00000000`0000008c 00000000`00000006 hal.dll hal.dll+41a7f Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 10.0.18362.387 (WinBuild.160101.0800) x64 ntoskrnl.exe+1c14e0 C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\010620-9265-01.dmp 4 15 18362 1,517,420 06/01/2020 23:29:17

any help would be appreciated.

Windows 1909MICHAEL-10-(2020-01-07_18-34-48).zip

:)

mkr10001, Jan 13, 2020
  2. MrPepka Win User

Yes, I wanted to run it via windbg and use unusual commands, but if there is a problem with uploading then please let go and return to my post with Driver Verifier (BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD) and follow those recommendations

MrPepka, Jan 13, 2020
  3. Chasbob Win User
    Access to files on external HDD

I recently bought a new Windows 10 computer. I already have an external HDD with my photos on. To migrate my other data (e.g. Office docs etc) from the C: drive on my old XP computer I copied the relevant folders to the external HDD. I intend to copy this
    data to an internal HDD on my new computer, but before doing so I am deleting files that I no longer require. I am signed in with an administrator account on my new computer, but every time I try to delete or move a file or folder on the external HDD, a dialog
    box pops up asking for administrator permission. Clicking 'Yes' enables me to delete or move the file/folder, but this is clearly laborious. Inspecting the properties of files/folders on the external HDD, I see that every file and folder has a blue/yellow
    shield against Rename and Delete.

Is there a way that that I can simply update the permissions on all files/folders on the external HDD to give full access to my administrator account, so that I can move/delete files without needing to give permission every time.

Note - At the end of the day I want to move the Office docs etc to an internal HDD on my new computer but leave the photos on the external HDD. But I want my administrator account to have full access to both types of file.

Chasbob, Jan 13, 2020
  4. mkr10001 Win User

Ok, what is the result we would hope for from the verifier? I did attempt to run it before and that's when I couldn't boot back into windows until I turned it off but wasn't sure how we got any results from it.

Happy to run any commands on that file for you. (attached the basic output in the previous post). As much as this type of troubleshooting is new to me I'm not uncomfortable running these types of tools

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, will run those HD tests as soon as I've done myself a new backup image (Y)

mkr10001, Jan 13, 2020
Thema:

1. BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD - Similar Threads - BSOD copying files

2. Cannot move/copy folders from External HDD to External HDD.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot move/copy folders from External HDD to External HDD.: [ATTACH] After starting the move/copy of the given folder, the explorer starts calculating but instead of starting the process, quickly completes (animates 0% to 100% complete) but the folder did not get moved or copied. Happens when trying to move/copy folders larger then...
  3. PC wont copy files to external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PC wont copy files to external HDD: Hello,I'm trying to copy a file that is 380GB to an External drive that has 1.63TB of free space. When I attempt to copy this file over by either dragging/dropping or copy/pasting it says "There is not enough space on Local disk" and shows me the space available on my local...
  4. PC wont copy files to external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC wont copy files to external HDD: Hello,I'm trying to copy a file that is 380GB to an External drive that has 1.63TB of free space. When I attempt to copy this file over by either dragging/dropping or copy/pasting it says "There is not enough space on Local disk" and shows me the space available on my local...
  5. PC wont copy files to external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. External HDD error while copying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HDD error while copying: Hi!I just bought a new external HDD, to make a second copy of everything I have in my PC. First, I tried to copy folders from a HDD to the other, but everytime it would crash 30 seconds after.I tried to copy the files from the HDD back into the PC where they were originally...
  7. external hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    external hdd: Heyo guys! i want to switch from linux to windows but i have 1 little question about my external hard drive. Will it just work fine on windows or do i need to format it first? thanks in advance! submitted by /u/gekkemat [link] [comments]...
  8. Cannot copy files to external HDD or internal spare HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot copy files to external HDD or internal spare HDD: Hello Everyone, I cannot copy files to any external HDD. I have also added a spare internal HDD to my HP pavilion 15 gaming laptop for extra storage and cannot copy files to this either. I have tried two external HDDs and they are two different brands so I am assuming this...
  9. External HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD: Hello, I recently used the Media Creation tool to reinstall windows on my system, and the drive was set to 31.9GB instead of the original size 1TB. I fixed that issue, by extending the volume. anyway, if I format it, it doesn't show up in This PC. so I had to create a...
  10. Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, I have an external HDD of 465 GB and I have 360 GB of space. Please tell me how I can quickly copy files to my internal HDD, how to download speed (move), or if you know any program for this or changes to Quick Move Registry. I mention that I tried...