Windows 10: BSOD when trying enable Virtual Machine Platform for WSL2

Discus and support BSOD when trying enable Virtual Machine Platform for WSL2 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I was following this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10 to try and install wsl2 for the first time on my laptop. The first... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jieshunwang, Jul 20, 2021.

1. BSOD when trying enable Virtual Machine Platform for WSL2

I was following this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10 to try and install wsl2 for the first time on my laptop. The first step ran successfully, but when I try to restart after running: dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:VirtualMachinePlatform /all /norestartI can reliably trigger a BSOD with the code: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE and a file listed underneath being: igdkmd64.sys.I have checked that virtualisation is enabled with my CPU IntelR CoreTM i7-1065G7 and I have a NVDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti with Max-Q Design. Can anyone help me with this?I have att

:)

jieshunwang, Jul 20, 2021

2. BSOD when enabling Virtual Machine Platform feature

Hi,

I've recently bought a new laptop (with a Ryzen 7 4700u) and I've been trying to install WSL2 but with no success so far.

Following the guide from the
    Microsoft Docs
    , I get a BSOD with the following error SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED after enabling the Virtual Machine Platform feature. I've tried reinstalling the drivers, resetting and formatting the laptop. I've tried upgrading to the latest insider
    build (thinking it was a Windows 10 2004 problem) but I still get the same BSOD.

I've checked the event viewer and I get 3 errors (I've exported it
    here
    )

How can I solve this issue?

AlessandroLioi, Jul 20, 2021
  3. PC cannot wake from sleep after enabling "Virtual Machine Plarform"

I recently upgraded to win10 2004 and tried out wsl2 by enabling "WSL" and "Virtual Machine Platform" features. After enabling these features, my laptop can no longer wake from sleep. The keyboard, the touchpad and the fingerprint reader are all not working
    and cannot wake my laptop up. I have to long press the power button to force shutdown and reboot.

I verified that this is a problem caused by enabling "Virtual Machine Platform" since my laptop can wake from sleep again after I turn off "Virtual Machine Platform". I tried multiple times and verified that as long as "VMP" is up, the laptop cannot wake
    from sleep and as long as I turn off "VMP", wake from sleep works again.

I liked WSL2 and I really want to use it at daily basis but failing to wake from sleep keeps me out of it. Appreciated if anyone knows how to fix it.

I have a hp envy x360 laptop with ryzen cpu.

PatrickHuang1, Jul 20, 2021
  4. BSOD when trying enable Virtual Machine Platform for WSL2

Virtual Machine Platform in Windows 10 update 1809

Yeah, I'm feeling this too right now. I'm a dev over in the GNU/Linux ecosystem and this is my first time using Windows really, and I see that there is WSL of course, but the I do a quick search for what the purpose of the Virtual Machine Platform is,
    and now I see that it MAY be what I need to even be able to use Microsoft's updated WSL2. Is this correct or not? If I am trying to use Linux on Windows should I use the specific feature that says "WSL", or should I use the "Virtual Machine Platform"?

And you wonder why....nvmnd.

TheRealdps, Jul 20, 2021
Thema:

BSOD when trying enable Virtual Machine Platform for WSL2

1. BSOD when trying enable Virtual Machine Platform for WSL2 - Similar Threads - BSOD trying enable

2. Unable to enable virtual machine platform.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to enable virtual machine platform.: I have a dell inspiron 3505 with ryzen 5 3540 processor running windows 11 and I was trying to run windows subsystem for android and for that I had to enable virtual machine platform.But when I tried to do so, after turning it on from the "turn windows features on or off" and...
  3. Cannot enable Virtual Machine Platform

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot enable Virtual Machine Platform: I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise Version 10.0.19043.1826I was trying to install WSL2 but when I was trying to enable Virtual Machine Platform I got this error when restarting: "Failed to update services".I ran systeminfo.exe and checked to make sure virtualization is...
  4. BSOD when enabling Virtual Machine Platform on Windows 10.0.19043

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when enabling Virtual Machine Platform on Windows 10.0.19043: HiI'm attempting to get WSL 2 installed using the manual steps at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-ZA/windows/wsl/install-win10 but am unable to enable Virtual Machine Platform on Windows 10. Windows Subsystem for Linux installs fine.CPU is a Ryzen 7 4800HBIOS doesn't have any...
  5. Unable to Enable 'Virtual Machine Platform'

Unable to Enable 'Virtual Machine Platform': Hello, I need to use WSL2 on my Windows 10 system, HP pavilion CS1000-TX. Whenever I enable Virtual Machine Platform and go for a reboot, the reboot doesnt go through. I witness the HP logo and then a blank screen upon. The only solution I've found is to perform a power off....
  6. BSOD after Enabling Virtual Machine Platform

BSOD after Enabling Virtual Machine Platform: I want to install wsl2 in my Windows 10 PC. But, when I enable Virtual Machine Platform feature and reboot my PC, I always get Page Fault in Non Paged Area error. It says the error is related to rdyboost.sys. Please help me solve this problem....
  7. BSOD when enabling Virtual Machine Platform feature

BSOD when enabling Virtual Machine Platform feature: Hi, I've recently bought a new laptop with a Ryzen 7 4700u and I've been trying to install WSL2 but with no success so far. Following the guide from the Microsoft Docs, I get a BSOD with the following error SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED after enabling the Virtual...
  8. WSL2 displaying error even though virtualization and virtual machine platform are enabled

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WSL2 displaying error even though virtualization and virtual machine platform are enabled: Please enable the Virtual Machine Platform Windows feature and ensure virtualization is enabled in the BIOS. For information please visit https://aka.ms/wsl2-install That is what it says in my WSL Ubuntu shell. I have Ryzen 2700X and have enabled SVM in bios. Virtual...
  9. Unable to enable "Virtual Machine Platform"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to enable "Virtual Machine Platform": submitted by /u/CautiousCrazy6 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gvs9sn/unable_to_enable_virtual_machine_platform/
  10. Can't enable"Virtual Machine Platform"

Can't enable"Virtual Machine Platform": I'm running Windows 10 on ASUS FX705DY AU072T. Windows doesn't boot after enabling "Virtual Machine Platform" and just shows a black screen after showing the windows 10 logo during boot. I've tried it on updated version 1909 and also after updating to version 19041.264 I...