Windows 10: BSOD when trying to updae Win10 build 9879

Discus and support BSOD when trying to updae Win10 build 9879 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have been on Win 10 as soon as it became available as Tech Preview. I haven't had any problems until build 9879 tried to update to the next build. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Mike Den, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Mike Den Win User

BSOD when trying to updae Win10 build 9879

I have been on Win 10 as soon as it became available as Tech Preview. I haven't had any problems until build 9879 tried to update to the next build. It goes through to setting up devices and blue screens. It will not update beyond build 9879. I was waiting to see if the newest build would work but still no good. I tried installing from the iso and from windows update. Any advice to help solve this would be great.
    I am updating the attachment with a dump now.

:)

Mike Den, Mar 26, 2015
  2. Andre Da Costa, Mar 26, 2015
  3. How to: 10 Tips before installing the latest Windows 10

Successfully updated from 9860 to 9879 on 12/01/14. Don't know why it worked this time, since Win10 has not been booted since the failure on 11/25/14.

BTW, after the failure, it automatically reverted back to 9860.

Rocket_Scientist, Mar 26, 2015
  4. gator Win User

Your files do not contain a crash dump and the event below shows an error probably when your BSOD occurred.

Code: Event[16]: Log Name: System Source: volmgr Date: 2014-11-12T05:45:17.408 Event ID: 46 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: WIN-9CPSKVPJOK9 Description: Crash dump initialization failed![/quote] Make sure your system is configured to create Crash Dumps and that your page file is not disabled

(Read the note in the beginning of the tutorial for more information)
    Dump Files - Configure Windows to Create on BSOD - Windows 7 Help Forums

One thing I saw is this below. This can be a normal Windows service but Malware sometimes disguises itself as this file.

Code: Windows Home Server C:\Windows\Installer\{21E49794-7C13-4E84-8659-55BD378267D5}\WHSTrayApp.exe Public[/quote] Also, from your hosts file
    Code: 192.168.1.120 SERVER #Windows Home Server#[/quote] Again, this can be completely normal, especially if you did this, but its worth noting.

Also, just because it can't hurt, run an SFC scan
    SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

There are other members here that can dig a little deeper than I can without a Dump file but they can chime in if they'd like.

gator, Mar 26, 2015
  5. Mike Den Win User
    Make sure your system is configured to create Crash Dumps and that your page file is not disabled

One thing I saw is this below. This can be a normal Windows service but Malware sometimes disguises itself as this file.

Code: Windows Home Server C:\Windows\Installer\{21E49794-7C13-4E84-8659-55BD378267D5}\WHSTrayApp.exe Public[/quote] Also, from your hosts file
    Code: 192.168.1.120 SERVER #Windows Home Server#[/quote] Again, this can be completely normal, especially if you did this, but its worth noting.

There are other members here that can dig a little deeper than I can without a Dump file but they can chime in if they'd like.[/quote]
    I do have a Windows Home Server on that IP Adress, Thank you I am trying everything that you mentioned I will get a dump and attach that.

Mike Den, Mar 26, 2015
  6. gator Win User
    Good to know, those can be ignored then.

The first error wasn't when your BSOD occurred as I looked at the time after the fact, but it's still an indication that crash dumps are not being created.

Let us know how it goes.

gator, Mar 26, 2015
  7. Mike Den Win User
    Make sure your system is configured to create Crash Dumps and that your page file is not disabled

There are other members here that can dig a little deeper than I can without a Dump file but they can chime in if they'd like.[/quote]

I have tried the suggestions you have made however I think I am in worse shape than I thought before. I was showing that my system was set up for Small Memory Dump. I changed it to Kernel and tried installing Windows 10 Build 10041 and at around the same time I got the blue screen and it rolled back to Build 9879 then I run the dm_log_collector and saw it show the crash dump initialization failed. I tried again with a complete memory dump the same thing, I got a blue screen and it rolled back to Build 9879. After that failure I tried the sfc /scannow and it said that it found corrupt files, but was unable to fix some of them. I restarted the computer and tried 3 times same result each time. Per the recommendation from that guide I then tried Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth. The source files could not be found. Use the Source option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. At this point I am thinking that I will just format the drive and do a clean install unless you can recommend another method

Mike Den, Mar 27, 2015
  8. gator Win User

Can you post the CBS.log from the SFC Scan?

gator, Mar 27, 2015
  9. Mike Den Win User
    I apologize but I didn't see this and I already formatted the drive. I formatted it first using the Windows 10 options and got the blue screen. I then used Windows 7 to format the drive and install Windows 7, I then updated the Bios and the ssd firmware though they were current I redid them. Windows 7 seemed to be working perfectly. I disconnected the other hdds so it is only the ssd. I managed to get a picture this time of the bsod and it said this driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (e1i63x64.sys). I will wait before formatting anything this time in case you recommend something.

Mike Den, Mar 27, 2015
  10. gator Win User
    The driver it references is your Intel Gigabit ethernet driver.

This may or may not be the problem, typically the files referenced by the initial BSOD is just the service or module that was loaded at the time.

Webpacks Available for Intel® Ethernet Adapters

Here is a thread that may be of some help (assuming the Ethernet driver is in fact that problem)
    Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Error when - Microsoft Community

Here is more information about Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal
    Bug Check 0xD1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (Windows Debuggers)

Ensure you have all the latest drivers installed for your Video card, Network Card and Motherboard

As always, we will need the actual dumps to help much further.

gator, Mar 27, 2015
  11. Mike Den Win User
    Thank you so much for the response I will check those links. As I said it only happens when I am installing the newer builds 9926,10041. When I had build number 9879 it worked properly and I did not encounter the blue screen. It is only when I am trying to update to one of the new builds. And it gets hung up towards the end of it when I am setting up devices, so it may be the driver you are referring to. I will try the duel boot and load the driver using windows 7 later today.

Mike Den, Mar 27, 2015
  12. Mike Den Win User
    Thank you I think that did the trick I followed the link that explained about the driver. I dual booted and copied the driver to the the Win10 install rebooted and it went right past setting up devices and I was able to sign on to Windows 10 build 10041 for the first time. I am going to restore the Win10 build 9879 with all my files and programs and try to install build 10041 over it using the new trick. I thank you so much for the time and effort I do really appreciate it.

Mike Den, Mar 28, 2015
  13. gator Win User

You're welcome! Glad you got it fixed and let us know if you have any other problems.

gator, Mar 28, 2015
  14. Mike Den Win User
    I was able to get it going finally. I did a full restore of my system which put build number 9879 back on. I used the ISO and installed build 10041 and after the first blue screen I just went into the bios and turned off onboard LAN restarted and I could log on. From inside windows 10 I replaced the drivers as stated on the other forum. I re-enabled the onboard LAN and restarted into Windows without a blue screen. I now up and running with all my programs and files intact. I did notice that the dump from the blue screen is there in Windows so that is working now also. I will upload that just so it is there for reference. thank you again for all the help.

Mike Den, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD when trying to updae Win10 build 9879 - Similar Threads - BSOD trying updae

2. Activate Build 9879

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activate Build 9879: A week or so ago I installed Build 9879 of W 10 TP and have tried every day to activate it through PC Settings. I keep getting a message saying, "Windows can't activate. Try again later." Should I be concerned? What can I do to activate it? Thank you. 3376
  3. OneDrive in build 9879

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive in build 9879: This is a mess imo! Before you had the OneDrive app and you had a OneDrive folder that you saw in File Explorer. Now only the OneDrive folder is there and it only shows those files/folders that are available online and offline. While that is fine as far as it goes, if you...
  4. OneDrive crippled in Build 9879

OneDrive crippled in Build 9879: I root my User folders in the OneDrive folder which has worked fine for several years. After a day of running 9879 I restart to a warning the OneDrive cannot find the Desktop. I try to open OneDrive App and get this error: "Your System Administrator has blocked the User of...
  5. OneDrive context menu in build 9879

OneDrive context menu in build 9879: I'm missing context menu items for "Make available Offline" and "Online only" in the File explorer context menu in latest build. Are these really gone? It was a nice easy way of moving things off your hard disk. Attachment 8233 2900
  6. Build 9879 trashing hard drives!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Build 9879 trashing hard drives!: I'm starting this thread because of the large number of HDDs I have lost since updating to Build 9879. The drives I have lost are all Seagate ST1000DM003 1 TB drives, 2 were VERY new (less than 2 Weeks old) and one was only about 2 Months old. The new ones got exchanged at...
  7. build 9879 clean install with duel boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    build 9879 clean install with duel boot.: HI all, I have a partitioned drive running win 7 and win 10tp. I am just downloading 9879 build iso to perform a clean install. i have read on the forums that this build is causing duel boot problems and trashing the win7 (which is my primary boot O/S)partition. the...
  8. Windows 10 Build 9879 - Last Build of this Year

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Build 9879 - Last Build of this Year: Hey All! Yes, I've been away and still not well but, have received a email from Gabe Aul @MS today and would like to share it with you. What made me post this is the fact that we are not getting any new builds till January. Just thought I'd let you know: From: Gabe...
  9. KB3025380 required in 9879 to get new build

in Windows 10 News
    KB3025380 required in 9879 to get new build: If you are running Windows 10 build 9879, then you will need to make sure that you have the December 18th KB3025380 Windows Update installed to be able to receive the new build of the OS next week. Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date 3649
  10. Steam Crashes on Windows 10 Build 9879

in Windows 10 News
    Steam Crashes on Windows 10 Build 9879: Since Windows 10 is still work in progress, it shouldn't be such a big shock to see an app crash all of a sudden, but it appears that build 9879 comes with what could be a widespread bug affecting a significant number of users. Many of those who have gaming platform Steam...