Windows 10: BSOD when updating drivers

Discus and support BSOD when updating drivers in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; "THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED - RTKVHD64.sys" I've had this issue since around late 2018 when I updated my PC for the first time since early 2017 ( I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/the_gaming_bur, Sep 29, 2020.

1. BSOD when updating drivers

"THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED - RTKVHD64.sys"

I've had this issue since around late 2018 when I updated my PC for the first time since early 2017 ( I had windows update forcefully stopped via registry changes, and forced metered connection)

I forget my PC has these issues. I game and listen to music on my Xbox 98% of the time. I had tried everything I could, at the time, to alleviate this issue, to no avail. I only now just tried to listen to music tonight since I just upgraded my desk/workstation. Wanted to celebrate. Came across the issue.

I have a 5.1 setup, and the right speaker is always really really low. If i adjust balance to full right, the sound from the right speaker is around 2/10 when volume is at 9/10 (generally speaking). I tried updating the drivers through device manager and manually from the realtek website (holy crap, what a pain to find the right DL page... ), for shits and giggles, because I forgot what happens.. sure enough: BSOD, every time, all the time Always the same error message.

I have tried literally everything short of a fresh OS install.... which I want to avoid, if I can.

When I ran into the issue back in December-ish 2018, I wasn't on reddit often and didn't think to come here. I ran across someone in this subreddit who, for the first time, had the EXACT same issues as I have. The OP has since deleted their original post, though.. ergo, here I am. I hope a MS software engineer can chime in, perhaps. Is this a back-end issue/thing with the OS? Is this a known issue by MS but they've since decided to not care/update the issue? I have no clue what's going on.

I've ran across plenty of other sound issue threads all over the web regarding sound issues, a lot of them close to mine... please, help.

my specs:
    -Win10 1909 - OS build 18363.1082
    -i7 4770k (non-OC; 16gb ram)
    -Asus Maximus Impact VI
    -Realtek Driver version - 6.0.1.7829 - Dx12 - ALC1150

Maybe I haven't tried everything *correctly* or in the right way? I'm going mad.

submitted by /u/the_gaming_bur
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/the_gaming_bur, Sep 29, 2020
  2. alexsubri Win User

BSOD- atikmpag.sys

This is most likely due to an installation/upgrade error with ATI driver's. I suggest doing DriveSweeper and the following:
    • Drivesweeper all drivers & in Safe Mode
    • Unistall all drivers that aren't used in DriveSweeper (CCC Profiler Updates, MSI AfterBurner, anything related to ATI that use's it's drivers.)
    • After you do this, the first thing you need to do is go into Device Manager and Unistall your ATI Drivers
    BSOD when updating drivers [​IMG]

Once your done, restart the PC and then try installing the latest drivers.

I had several issues with this in the past, but I overcame it with logical reasoning and whenever I have a driver issue, I just use these steps and I always overcome the problem.

Best of luck! *Toast :toast:

alexsubri, Sep 29, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    BSOD hidclass with driver verifier

Hi Doc_Samson,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you receive Blue Screen error with hidclass.sys. In order to get to the root cause of the issue, we will need the Dump files, so that we can analyze them and assist you accordingly. I have sent a private message to you, please share
    the Dump files over the private message.

To access Private Message click on your Profile on the top right corner, then click on the ellipses, and select
    View Private Messages.

However, the hidclass.sys is a driver file for Human Interface Devices, which are basically, keyboard/mouse or gaming controllers. I would suggest you to disconnect all the external devices and see if that helps.

I would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

Method 1: Update drivers

I suggest you to update the drivers on the computer, to make sure that all the drivers are up to date including Keyboard, Mouse, USB and HID Drivers. In addition, you may also update the chipset drivers from the computer manufacturer’s websites. Kindly
    refer the article
    Update drivers in Windows 10

Method 2: Check hard disk for errors

I would suggest you to run chkdsk utility to check any errors in the hard drive. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Type command prompt in the search bar on the
      Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the command prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Now, paste the following command and hit Enter: chkdsk/f C:
    4. Select Yes and restart the computer.

Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost

Method 3: Windows Memory Diagnostic

You can also run Memory Diagnostic on the computer to check for any memory corruption errors. Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type mdsched and click on
      OK
    3. Click on Restart now and check for problems.

You may want to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article

Troubleshoot blue screen errors

You can also refer the suggestions provided by auggy replied on May 15, 2018 in the thread

BSOD Hidclass.sys

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Sep 29, 2020
  4. BSOD when updating drivers

Windows update keeps replacing ALPS Touchpad driver with a Synaptics driver.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to uninstall and delete the previous drivers and the latest drivers for the touchpad and install the required version of the driver from Device Manager by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager from the list.
    • Expand the Touch pad driver.
    • Right click on the driver and click on update/install.
    • Select the required version from the on-screen prompts.

And for the problem with the installation of printer drivers, I suggest you to run the Windows Update troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in search box and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” option on top left pane.
    • Select “Windows Update” from the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Sep 29, 2020
Thema:

BSOD when updating drivers

1. BSOD when updating drivers - Similar Threads - BSOD updating drivers

2. BSOD when I update wifi driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD when I update wifi driver: So I have this motherboard that has built in wifi, but I decided to get a wifi card. Anyways, when I try to update the wifi driver for the onboard card, I get a bsod with something about netwtw10.sys. Motherboard is Aorus B550 Elite AX V2 rev 1....
  3. BSOD when I update wifi driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD when I update wifi driver: So I have this motherboard that has built in wifi, but I decided to get a wifi card. Anyways, when I try to update the wifi driver for the onboard card, I get a bsod with something about netwtw10.sys. Motherboard is Aorus B550 Elite AX V2 rev 1....
  4. BSOD when I update wifi driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. I got a BSOD when i update drivers by windows update

I got a BSOD when i update drivers by windows update: Hello everyone.i have a pad and it run windows 10 arm on it.yesterday, i reinstall windows 10 arm and i succeed, but i see a update notice about some feature and hardware drivers update.so i download these, but i got a BSOD "soc subsystem failure" when the pad install and...
  6. BSOD When Trying to Update to Legacy Firewire Driver

BSOD When Trying to Update to Legacy Firewire Driver: So I'm caught in a frustrating catch-22.I recently purchased a Firewire card to transfer some old DV tapes over firewire via the camcorder. Did this no problem. I'd like to keep the card attached for other projects involving the camcorder and other Firewire devices.Ever since...
  7. No audio services, drivers BSOD when reinstalling after updating drivers and windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No audio services, drivers BSOD when reinstalling after updating drivers and windows: Hi everyone. Around 2 weeks ago I updated drivers and Windows itself and when it restarted, I noticed I had no audio. Ok, sure, has happened a couple of times and I can fix it. But not now. In device manager, the Audio, games etc section doesn't show up, meaning there are no...
  8. BSOD Driver verifier when updating to Windows 10 1803

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Driver verifier when updating to Windows 10 1803: Last week, my PC asked to run Windows 10 update. I ran it a couple of days ago. The update is from version 1709 (current and working without problems) to version 1803. However, when it's done and my PC starts to boot again, I get the following BSOD: DRIVER VERIFIER DETECTED...
  9. BSOD when updating driver

BSOD when updating driver: Hi I'm trying to update my drivers and when I try to install the Intel(R) Serial IO Driver my laptop goes to a BSOD with the Stop Code: System Thread Exception Not Handled. What failed: iaioi2ce.sys. I had no open applications when this happened. I've tried it numerous...
  10. BSOD when restarting computer or updating wifi drivers

BSOD when restarting computer or updating wifi drivers: Hi All, Tried a few different things to try and resolve this issue and it is just bugging me. The system is running fine it just crashes when I try to restart my computer. I only notice I had a fault because when I shut my computer down the monitor goes blank but the...