Windows 10: BSOD when using FAT or EXFAT USB drive

Discus and support BSOD when using FAT or EXFAT USB drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So I'm having this strange issue, I get a BSOD immediately when I insert a FAT or EXFAT USB drive, NTFS works fine. Even if I insert the USB drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ezz El Din, Jan 25, 2021.

1. BSOD when using FAT or EXFAT USB drive

So I'm having this strange issue, I get a BSOD immediately when I insert a FAT or EXFAT USB drive, NTFS works fine.

Even if I insert the USB drive when the laptop is powered off, when I power the laptop back on windows won't start and I get the same BSOD

EXFAT_FILE_SYSTEM error or FAT_FILE_SYSTEM error depending on the drive.

Strangely my external HDD is EXFAT and it works fine.

I tried all the usual troubleshooting but nothing seems to fix it.

So any ideas on how I can fix it?

:)

Ezz El Din, Jan 25, 2021

2. Formating to exFAT

Hi Taylor,

If you want to format an external hard drive or USB flash drive in exFAT, you can follow these steps:

• Press and hold Windows key + x on your keyboard. This open the context menu.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type format g: /FS:exFAT and then Enter to begin formatting the G drive as exFAT
    For any query, feel free to reach us.

Marque Lor, Jan 25, 2021
  3. usb 3.0 stick 128GB FAT 2GB/4GB???

• ExFAT
    • FAT

tell max zip file, max other non-archive file,... in these two...?

ok I will contact Apple...

Lse123polis, Jan 25, 2021
  4. BSOD when using FAT or EXFAT USB drive

Formatting an external HD from exfat to fat 32

Hi I have just bought an external hard drive which is on exfat. How can I convert it to fat32 when it says the default is ntfs?

* Moved from Mobile devices

* Original title: formatting from exfat to fat 32

TerenceTrundley, Jan 25, 2021
Thema:

BSOD when using FAT or EXFAT USB drive

1. BSOD when using FAT or EXFAT USB drive - Similar Threads - BSOD using FAT

2. usb drive broken after trying to format it as exfat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb drive broken after trying to format it as exfat: I needed my 64gb usb thumb drive at full capacity after using it as windows format drive which made it 32gb drive. Windows showed a window saying format failed while I was waiting it to be in exfat format. I tried to use disk manager and list disk thing but It doesn't show up...
  3. usb drive broken after trying to format it as exfat

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb drive broken after trying to format it as exfat: I needed my 64gb usb thumb drive at full capacity after using it as windows format drive which made it 32gb drive. Windows showed a window saying format failed while I was waiting it to be in exfat format. I tried to use disk manager and list disk thing but It doesn't show up...
  4. Corrupted USB Drive in exFat format

in Windows 10 Customization
    Corrupted USB Drive in exFat format: I was doing a backup of some files from my laptop to my 1TB USB Drive in exFat format.During the file transfer, the progress suddenly stopped and I got the message "The Semaphore Timeout Period Has Expired". The file explorer freezed and I was forced the end the process. Then...
  5. Windows 10 unable to recognise EXFAT drive on USB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 unable to recognise EXFAT drive on USB: HiI have an EXFAT drive which was formatted on a Synology DSM6. I need to plug this drive in to do some checks, but my Windows does not recognise the drive and does not show up on the File Explorer. I then downloaded Aomei Partition Assistant which was able to read it.Why...
  6. exFat 2T USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    exFat 2T USB: Good Morning, I have backed up my pictures on a new 2T USB that i ordered online and i checked and saw my files before deleting them, however after i take out the USB and put it back in the computer i can see the different folders but they are empty even thought the...
  7. Formating Micro SD card to FAT 32 from exFAT

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formating Micro SD card to FAT 32 from exFAT: In Win 10 Used Run >"format /FS:FAT32 E:" to try and change the file system on a 64 GB mico SD card version 10 from exFAT to FAT32. It ran for about 15 minutes form 0 to 100% but format did not change?...
  8. USB stick works with exFat but not with NTFS when full

USB stick works with exFat but not with NTFS when full: I've just observed a very strange behavior. So I'm curious if anyone can explain this? I bought these cheap chinese USB sticks on amazon (x10 for $40 or something like this.) They originally came pre-formatted as FAT32. So I was trying to transfer several large files today...
  9. Extended FAT (ExFat) and Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Extended FAT (ExFat) and Windows 10: As ExFAT is mutch more faster than NTFS, why are we obliged to install windows 10 on NTFS instead of ExFAT partition ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/extended-fat-exfat-and-windows-10/e180379c-2882-46f2-95a3-419ae7521b4d
  10. NTFS formatted USB drive cannot be safely removed - use exFAT?

NTFS formatted USB drive cannot be safely removed - use exFAT?: I have a problem with NTFS formatted USB thumbdrives which often gets the "cannot be safely removed" error when I try to eject the drive. The thumbdrive in device manager is set to quick removal policy by default so I don't have to change it but I still keep running into this...