Windows 10: BSOD - Windows needs to restart: only when restarting, shutting down or logging in

Discus and support BSOD - Windows needs to restart: only when restarting, shutting down or logging in in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I'm struggling with a problem I've been unable to resolve through any means I've tried so far, hopefully someone can help. I'm running windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by salmore, Nov 15, 2018.

1. salmore Win User

BSOD - Windows needs to restart: only when restarting, shutting down or logging in

Hi,

I'm struggling with a problem I've been unable to resolve through any means I've tried so far, hopefully someone can help.

I'm running windows 10 on my Surface Book (about 1.5 years old). It's the upgraded more expensive model with dedicated graphics card in the keyboard.

When trying to turn off the PC or restart it, I often see "update and shut down" or "update and restart" instead of normal "shut down / restart".

If this is the case and I turn it off and back on or restart, during boot up (windows update) part I get the BSOD with error "SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION". this continues over and over till I get to the recovery screen. After a few times getting to this screen and clicking "restart" I eventually am able to boot the PC and it functions normally. But seems the update didn't process and I still have "update and shut down" options only to go through the same process again when trying to turn off and on.

I have gone through multiple steps, rolling back updates, deleting windows update cache files and so forth. This seemed to resolve the windows update challenge which caused BSOD when booting up, but now when restarting PC and I get to the login screen where on the surface book it reads my face to log me in, I there get the BSOD again and restart (before it actually logs in). The error message says "PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA".

PC restarts and gets to login screen again when the same thing repeats. This happens about 3 times till I get to blue recovery screen. After I click restart once or twice it eventually goes to login screen and does not read my face, instead asks for PIN, then logs in fine and operates normally.

NOTE: the BSOD in both cases above only occurs during bootup/login, after I'm in to windows I never get crashes...

At least my windows update is all the way completed and up to date now.

the odd part is that I've gone through the restore process 2 times now, where I reinstalled windows and 1 of the 2 times I even said to "delete everything securely" meaning whole hard drive should have been wiped completely, but after a few days the same error returns as described above.

What can I do? anyone suggest or help please?

Thanks!!!

:)

salmore, Nov 15, 2018
  2. ilgoldman Win User

Random shut down and restart??

Computer: Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual cpu
    E220@2.406hz
    2.42 GHZ, 2.00 GB of RAM
    Windows xp

Ever since I replaced the fan (with heat sink) the computer has randomly shut down and then restarted, at first during streaming, and now, will shut down and restart anytime. I tried to replace the graphics card to no avail. *Confused BSOD - Windows needs to restart: only when restarting, shutting down or logging in :confused:*Mad BSOD - Windows needs to restart: only when restarting, shutting down or logging in :mad:

One suggestion was to replace the RAM.

Any suggestions on how to repair my computer?

ilgoldman, Nov 15, 2018
  3. Arrakis9 Win User
    Random restarts

when you start the computer up press F8 repeatedly until you get a list of how to start windows, choose do not automatically restart on system failure. if your getting bsod's list what your getting here so we can further help you. IF the system is not getting bsod's and still restarting as you say then i would look into getting a line conditioner for your computer as you might be having power issues.

Arrakis9, Nov 15, 2018
  4. Binge Win User

BSOD - Windows needs to restart: only when restarting, shutting down or logging in

Random Restarts, No BSOD

He mentioned that he had done that above. Also I provided a BSOD details app. There were no BSODs to report.

Binge, Nov 15, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD - Windows needs to restart: only when restarting, shutting down or logging in - Similar Threads - BSOD needs restart

2. Shut down or restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shut down or restart: Occasionally when I try to shut down or restart after an update I get this message. I tried going to Task Manager and ending process. Doesn't change anything. It doesn't happen all the time. How can I stop it, kinda annoying.Please Adviseleahcimj...
  3. Shut down or restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shut down or restart: Occasionally when I try to shut down or restart after an update I get this message. I tried going to Task Manager and ending process. Doesn't change anything. It doesn't happen all the time. How can I stop it, kinda annoying.Please Adviseleahcimj...
  4. Since when did Shut down and Restart stop actually shutting down or restarting the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Since when did Shut down and Restart stop actually shutting down or restarting the...: Road to hell is paved with good intentions? How thought this was a good idea? If I shut down and reboot, I shouldn't be able to see all the damn applications I had open when I launch it back up. That's not shut down. Sometimes when I boot, something gets borked and I can't...
  5. Restart + Shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restart + Shutting down: Hey guys, nice to see you. I have problem with windows restart and shut down. Everytime I try to restart or shut down my PC from windows menu it stuck on restarting / shutting down screen.And I need to force restart/shut down from the physical button on the Pc case. I cant go...
  6. Restart + Shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restart + Shutting down: Hey guys, nice to see you. I have problem with windows restart and shut down. Everytime I try to restart or shut down my PC from windows menu it stuck on restarting / shutting down screen.And I need to force restart/shut down from the physical button on the Pc case. I cant go...
  7. PC restart when shut down

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC restart when shut down: My PC just started to restart when I press turn off idk why and it’s never happened before it’s just like I press shut down go for a sec and when I back the pc like restarted it’s not happening sec time like when I click turn off again it’s shutting down but the problem is...
  8. restarts when shut down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    restarts when shut down: I have a problem with shutdown my laptop restarts whenever I shutdown or power off my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restarts-when-shut-down/a2cc7d92-bc0e-4838-85af-70e1ca295558
  9. windows 10 won't restart only shut down

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 won't restart only shut down: my windows vs. 1809 run okay.. until I want to restart with no programs open the PC starts to shut down to restart ,, the monitor goes black.., then the monitor goes to sleep, ( no signal to monitor) the it just sits there for many many minutes until I manually shut down with...
  10. BSOD when Sleeping, Restarting or shutting down, page_fault_in_non...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when Sleeping, Restarting or shutting down, page_fault_in_non...: A couple days ago when normally putting my PC to sleep at night it restarted. I then tried to put it to sleep again and watched as the screen went black and the pc just sat there on for like 10 seconds then began the process of rebooting. The next day when i was using my pc...