Windows 10: BSOD with External Display VGA

Discus and support BSOD with External Display VGA in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I have been experiencing BSODs when using the VGA out on my laptop, most of it generally happen when the computer goes to sleep, and I wake the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by fuzeee, Aug 16, 2016.

1. fuzeee Win User

BSOD with External Display VGA

Hello, I have been experiencing BSODs when using the VGA out on my laptop, most of it generally happen when the computer goes to sleep, and I wake the computer afterwards. Then it would just show a blank screen until I unplugged the VGA connector and it will BSOD with the same error, ( SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION igdkmd64.sys ) . I have tried reinstalling the intel drivers but it still happens every now and then. Would appreciate if anyone could find the source of the problem *Biggrin

Laptop: Clevo N550RC
    Specs:
    Processor: i7-6700HQ
    Graphics: Nvidia GTX950M 2GB DDR5
    RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR3
    Storage: 500GB Seagate SSHD

Attachment 96613

:)

fuzeee, Aug 16, 2016
  2. OWeiJie Win User

BSOD with External VGA

And you also have a remnant of HotSpot shield.

start end module name

fffff801`68dd0000 fffff801`68dde000 taphss6 (deferred)

Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\taphss6.sys

Image name: taphss6.sys

Browse all global symbols functions data

Timestamp: Thu Mar 31 22:21:42 2016 (56FDDB36)..... FWIW.

Hello, I do still have Hotspot Shield installed and I use it often.

It's probably not a good thing to have all these security related software
    installed and loading at the same time, because it significantly raises the chances of a
    conflict and lowers your security posture, believe it or not..

You should run the uninstall tools for both AVAST and Symantec, and also
    HotSpot Sheild.

If this were my system, I would turn on Windows Defender and firewall
    and leave both AVAST and Norton, uninstalled, but that is entirely up to you.

AVAST Uninstall Utility.

Avast Uninstall Utility | Download aswClear for Avast Removal

Norton Removal tool.

Uninstall and Reinstall Norton product using the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool

Hotspot Shield Uninstall Instructions.

Hotspot Shield VPN: The #1 Fast, Secure Virtual Private Network

After taking above actions, uninstall and reinstall your intel graphics drivers.

Hello,

I already uninstalled Avast but however I cannot uninstall the Symantec Endpoint Protection which is installed by my college and protected with password aganist uninstallation, which explains why I am using Windows 10 Enterprise edition.

OWeiJie, Aug 16, 2016
  3. OWeiJie Win User
    BSOD with External VGA

And you also have a remnant of HotSpot shield.

start end module name

fffff801`68dd0000 fffff801`68dde000 taphss6 (deferred)

Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\taphss6.sys

Image name: taphss6.sys

Browse all global symbols functions data

Timestamp: Thu Mar 31 22:21:42 2016 (56FDDB36)..... FWIW.

Hello, I do still have Hotspot Shield installed and I use it often.

OWeiJie, Aug 16, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi fuzeee,

Welcome to the 10forums *Smile

Could you tell me what power plan you're using? Is there any setting changed in this power plan?

From where did you download the graphics drivers?
    I assume you're using both your iGPU & dGPU?

Was Avast previously installed before Symantec or is it still installed?
    Avast drivers are present on your system where it seems to be the cause of the first crash from previous month, I guess that it is also the cause of the other crash from previous month.

I'm planning on first dealing with Avast & Symantec, if that turns out to be providing no improvement I would like to continue on the power plan *Smile

5. fuzeee Win User
    Hello, I am using power saving plan most of the time and I downloaded the iGPU drivers from Intel directly and installed my Nvidia drivers from my manufacturer's provided disc.

I have both Avast and Symantec installed at the same time previously and 3 hours ago, some other person also pointed out to me that it may be due to both of the antivirus installed hence the computer was crashing.
    I have just deleted Avast and will see how it goes from there.

fuzeee, Aug 17, 2016
  6. fuzeee Win User
    Hello, I tried letting my computer rest and booted it with VGA and it works, but then I clicked restart after the computer booted and it BSODed with a different error. I have attached a dump file for your reference.

Attachment 96775

fuzeee, Aug 17, 2016
  7. axe0 New Member
    We would prefer it to have a new zip from the DM Log Collector, simply to ensure that we won't miss anything of importance *Smile

8. fuzeee Win User

Hello, I have attached a new zip from the DM Log Collector as requested. *Smile

fuzeee, Aug 17, 2016
  9. axe0 New Member
    Please try the following
    1. Install the iGPU drivers from the CD you have, or from the laptop manufacturers support page.
    2. Check the manufacturer for BIOS updates.
    3. Reinstall or update the chipset drivers.

10. fuzeee Win User
    Hello,
    1. I have recently reinstalled the iGPU drivers to try to solve the initial problem of the BSOD
    2. I checked with the manufacturer for BIOS update and there is no new updates.

I was wondering did the minidump pinpoint any problem as this is the 2nd time I have crashed with a hal.dll while booting. When it crashes, it does not show anything on the screen unlike the VGA problem until I force-shutdown the PC to reboot I would see it in the bluescreenviewer.exe app that I have.

If it is not a major concern like the initial problem then I think it would be fine *Smile

fuzeee, Aug 17, 2016
  11. axe0 New Member
    Yes, from Intel. I ask to install it from the manufacturer *Smile

The last was a 0x124, a 0x124 means that the system has detected a hardware error. Hardware errors can be caused by the BIOS, drivers, hardware and software to be short.
    Naturally a 0x124 has minimum data to say anything about the cause. So far I saw this 0x124 has very minimum data, basically nothing more than the usual that we see with this kind.
    The 0x124 only shows why the CPU reported a hardware error, but that is unfortunately not enough to pinpoint a possible cause.

12. fuzeee Win User
    Hello,
    I'll reinstall the iGPU from the disc soon and see how it goes. How do I uninstall the chipset drivers? I don't really remember the name of the chipset driver.

fuzeee, Aug 17, 2016
  13. axe0 New Member

It is best to just install the new drivers while the current is still present, uninstalling the chipset drivers is not recommended (if possible at all) as it could cause more problems.

14. fuzeee Win User
    OK sure, I'll just run the installer later. Thanks for all your help in solving my annoying VGA problems *Biggrin
    I'll report back if there are any more problems.

fuzeee, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSOD with External Display VGA - Similar Threads - BSOD External Display

2. No display, no power on keyboard and mouse, vga light on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No display, no power on keyboard and mouse, vga light on: Hello everyone, i asambled new pc 5 months ago. And everything worked fine until a few days ago, i was watching a movie online when my screen turned black and after a few seconds mouse and keyboard shut down too. And vga light is on, all rgb is working fans are spinning. I...
  3. No display, no power on keyboard and mouse, vga light on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No display, no power on keyboard and mouse, vga light on: Hello everyone, i asambled new pc 5 months ago. And everything worked fine until a few days ago, i was watching a movie online when my screen turned black and after a few seconds mouse and keyboard shut down too. And vga light is on, all rgb is working fans are spinning. I...
  4. External Display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Display: I am trying to connect my surface go 3 as an external display for my laptop pc. I have followed all the steps and the pc recognizes the tablet as an output device as well. But it still won't connect. Finally, it shows a message saying unable to connect and to retry from the...
  5. External Display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Display: I am trying to connect my surface go 3 as an external display for my laptop pc. I have followed all the steps and the pc recognizes the tablet as an output device as well. But it still won't connect. Finally, it shows a message saying unable to connect and to retry from the...
  6. Only 1 External Monitor is Displaying Picture, not Both at Same Time Monitor with VGA or...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Only 1 External Monitor is Displaying Picture, not Both at Same Time Monitor with VGA or...: I have a Dell docking station and a Windows 10 21H1 Dell laptop. I also have 2 external Dell monitors.When I plug in the display port cord for one monitor, the external monitor displays picture, but when I plug in the VGA cord, the display port monitor stops working and the...
  7. Display interface question DVI, DpsilayPort, VGA

in Windows 10 Support
    Display interface question DVI, DpsilayPort, VGA: OK, I've spent a lot of time on computers over the years but I never looked into display interfaces until I had to figure out how to connect a second display to a computer with only 1 VGA port and no room for a video card for a project my wife is involved in. I believe the...
  8. Cannot connect external screen VGA to HDMI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot connect external screen VGA to HDMI: Hi I am trying to connect an older VGA screen to my fairly new laptop without success. the laptop runs on Windows 10 I have spent ages trying to find a solution here in Support but nothing has worked Things I have tried Update drivers = the drivers are all...
  9. External VGA Monitor detected but displays black screen

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    External VGA Monitor detected but displays black screen: I'm having a problem with an external VGA monitor connected to my Win10 home PC. When I plug in the monitor (to VGA port), it is detected but the display blinks on and goes black immediately. I have to unplug and re-plug up to 12 times and finally the monitor comes on and...
  10. External VGA Monitor detected but displays black screen

in Windows 10 Support
    External VGA Monitor detected but displays black screen: I'm having a problem with an external VGA monitor connected to my Win10 home PC. When I plug in the monitor (to VGA port), it is detected but the display blinks on and goes black immediately. I have to unplug and re-plug up to 12 times and finally the monitor comes on and...