Windows 10: BSODs and now shut downs outside of BIOS

Discus and support BSODs and now shut downs outside of BIOS in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Here is the timeline of events, I have no idea what happened or how it got to this point. I could really use a hand, I have assignments to focus on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by apb992, Nov 24, 2016.

1. apb992 Win User

BSODs and now shut downs outside of BIOS

Here is the timeline of events, I have no idea what happened or how it got to this point. I could really use a hand, I have assignments to focus on *Sad

• My gaming rig begins to crash a few minutes after logon each time, I am thinking it might be GPU overclock related. The BSODS range from WHEA UNCORRECTABLE, IRQL NOT LESS EQUAL and some related to specific .sys files and even the KERNEL. I install some Windows updates, clean the video drivers, update and reset the BIOS to factory settings and get rid of all overclocks.
    • Problem then shifts to reboots mostly instead of BSODS, just black screen and PC restarts a few minutes after logon. This does not happen in SAFE MODE at all, so I discount it being a hardware problem. SFC, CHKDSK dont detect any problems, and Windows Reset fails to work.
    • I opt to wipe Windows and do a fresh install from a USB drive, however the install fails around the copying files/installing mark with the PC just restarting itself every time. Tried other ports and USB media but same outcome.

So now I am stuck in the BIOS where its stable. Cannot install Windows and bootable recovery tools like acronis fail with kernel errors so I am unable to restore my backups. I have checked the RAM, moving to another power outlet, using built in graphics instead of GPU, removing all drives but the SSD but reboots are still present.

What are my next steps and how do I diagnose this thing?
    Can it really be a hardware error when it was working fine in SAFE mode for extended periods of time?

:)

apb992, Nov 24, 2016

2. PC getting Unexpected Store Exception and Critical Process Died BSOD.

Hi,

My PC is getting Critical Process Died and Unexpected Store Exception BSOD. Please help me fix it. After the PC restarts from BSOD, it goes into BIOS and my SSD doesn't show there. I have to shut down the PC and then it starts normally and eventually again
    gets the BSOD.

Guide me how to find the logs and I will promptly share them.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank You.

arman chandok, Nov 24, 2016
  3. JCB56319 Win User
    Windows10 - numlock not on at startup

After I shut down my PC and not just do a restart I found out that the numlock wasn't on at signon, I had to shut down go into the PC bios and turn off "fast boot" in the bios. It seems to be ok now, I didn't turn it off in windows though, just in the
    bios.

JCB56319, Nov 24, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

It looks more like a software related problem since you can get it working in Safe mode. If you can still start in safe mode I would recommend the Clean Boot method of troubleshooting. Please follow the tutorial: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...conflicts.html

philc43, Nov 24, 2016
  5. apb992 Win User
    I dont want to jinx it but Windows was installed succesfully now. I will now see if its stable within the OS.

The culprit looks like it was the RAM settings, after resetting the BIOS they defaulted to very low, and this RAM is very beefy so it probably wasnt getting the power it needed.

Changing the overclock profile from auto to xmp seems to have done the trick. Now to restore my backups and crack on.

Phew!

apb992, Nov 24, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    That's good news, hope it remains stable. Yes the BIOS settings are critical to good performance, the default settings are generally fine but using XMP for the memory will get the best data rates for good performance.

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSODs and now shut downs outside of BIOS - Similar Threads - BSODs shut downs

2. BSOD while shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD while shutting down: Hello, I have been getting BSOD for the last couple of days while shutting down, but not on restarts. I used bluescreen view and it shows it's caused by ntoskrnl.exe, I have also tried updating drivers such as graphic card, RST but that didn't help either. I have attached the...
  3. BSOD while shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD while shutting down: Hello, I have been getting BSOD for the last couple of days while shutting down, but not on restarts. I used bluescreen view and it shows it's caused by ntoskrnl.exe, I have also tried updating drivers such as graphic card, RST but that didn't help either. I have attached the...
  4. BSOD while shutting down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. BSOD when shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD when shutting down: Dear friends,I've been struggling for months with this issue: when I try to shut down my windows 11 computer a BSOD faces up!I have tried to analyze my dump file using windbg, but the only info that I get is the process name of the task that causes the error: it is...
  6. BSOD when shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD when shutting down: Dear friends,I've been struggling for months with this issue: when I try to shut down my windows 11 computer a BSOD faces up!I have tried to analyze my dump file using windbg, but the only info that I get is the process name of the task that causes the error: it is...
  7. BSOD then shuts down

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD then shuts down: I am just watching YouTube and the problem happened. It happened again when I start games like Gears 5, the BSOD on the menu of the game. Should I be concerned about any component? i5 4570 12GB RAM (8 and 4) RX460 PSU 400W Recently I have problems with games, my PC just...
  8. BSOD before shutting down

BSOD before shutting down: When I shut down my laptop, the screen went black like normal shutdown, but suddenly BSOD with IRQL LESS THAN OR EQUAL. Device Model: ASUS X450LCP (https://www.asus.com/Laptops/X450LC/HelpDesk_Download/) Here is the minidump file:...
  9. shut down with no BSOD

shut down with no BSOD: hi guys. Weird problem. Had a BSOD which you guys id'd as being a malware-bytes issue so its been disabled. But now its shutting down with no BSOD primarily while in a browser but not any in particular. Appreciate any help you can give. 46579
  10. BSOD while shutting down...?

BSOD while shutting down...?: hey..I was shutting down my pc, when suddenly a Blue Screen Of Death appears after the "Shutting Down" screen...resource_not_owned please help 40742