Windows 10: BSODs at random times atikmdag.sys THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER

Discus and support BSODs at random times atikmdag.sys THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I have had BSODs for quite a long time now (before Crimson ReLive edition) and they all say THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER. (I haven't done... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Alvie, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Alvie Win User

BSODs at random times atikmdag.sys THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER

Hi,

I have had BSODs for quite a long time now (before Crimson ReLive edition) and they all say THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER. (I haven't done anything about it in a long time as I started using it less and my laptop more)

I have taken quite a few steps to try to fix it:

• I am using latest versions of AMD Crimson (16.2.2)
    • I have used DDU in recommended modes
    • I have cleared and updated motherboard BIOS
    • I have turned off the iGPU in BIOS
    • I have tried to find atikmdag.sy_ so I can expand it (but it is not found even when using the app, "Everything")
    • I have took apart my PC then rebuilt it (paying careful attention to GPU)
    • I have run DISM and sfc scannow now (no problems)
    • I have run Windows Memory Diagnostic tools (no problems)
    • I checked that the firmware of my OCZ ARC 100 240GB SSD was up to date (it was)

I found out that the driver causing problems is atikmdag.sys from using BlueScreenView, these are the common things:
    • THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
    • 0x100000ea
    • dxgkrnl.sys
    • atikmdag.sys

Here is a part list of what is inside my PC:
    CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor CPU Cooler Cooler Master Nepton 140XL 122.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Motherboard Gigabyte GA-G1.SNIPER Z97 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Red 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory Storage OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Video Card MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card Case NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
    Thanks,

EDIT: It just had a BSOD again, here's the updated logs: Attachment 117125

:)

Alvie, Jan 13, 2017
  2. PalBorg Win User

Thread Stuck in Device Driver - atikmdag.sys

Hi,Xenomorph!

Sorry for reviving an old thread but i need to ask: Could you explain the steps you took to fix your issue? Have you had any crashes since then? How and where did you set the TdrDelay option? Please i need to know 'cause i'm having the same issue with an
    APU AMD A10 7860K.

EDIT: AMD has just released a new vídeo driver.I did a clean uninstall,downloaded and installed the new one and reboot.36 hours later and no crashes so far.It seems the issue has been fixed.Great!

PalBorg, Jan 13, 2017
  3. Thread Stuck in Device Driver - atikmdag.sys

Download Drivers

Try the link and the setting in the image below.

BSODs at random times atikmdag.sys THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER [​IMG]

Gerry C J Cornell, Jan 13, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

The log files still point to the graphics driver. Did you try DDU to uninstall everything and then just reinstall the driver only?

Have you tried running the memory in a different slot - no reason to believe it is a problem but you never know.

philc43, Jan 15, 2017
  5. Alvie Win User
    I tried that the first time I used DDU, but I haven't done the driver only the last time I did it. I'll try doing it again.

I'll try running the memory in a different slot and report back *Smile

Alvie, Jan 15, 2017
  6. Alvie Win User
    Just saw this:
    Attachment 117506
    Stays even after closing and reopening HWMonitor - faulty GPU?

I haven't had a BSOD yet but I was only running the system for a few minutes.

Alvie, Jan 16, 2017
  7. Alvie Win User
    I've done everything you said above, but it happened again:

Alvie, Jan 17, 2017
  8. philc43 Win User

There is no further information from the crash dump file that I can extract. You could try running a different hardware monitor program (e.g. speccy) to see if you get the same values.

philc43, Jan 18, 2017
  9. Alvie Win User
    Ok, I'll try that later.

Thanks for helping by the way.

Alvie, Jan 19, 2017
  10. Alvie Win User
    Hi,

I rolled back to AMD Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta drivers, and then expanded the atikmdag.sy_ file and replaced the old driver in Windows\System32\Drivers

Is it safe to go back to Crimson now?

Also, speccy is not telling me the voltage and HWMonitor is no longer telling it to me either. However, GPU-Z is and it seems to be normal (~0.8V to 1V on idle)

Alvie, Jan 20, 2017
  11. philc43 Win User
    I would give it some more time to verify that you have eliminated the BSOD. IF you try and update and start getting the BSODs again you will know what to do and can then periodically test the newer drivers as they become available.

philc43, Jan 22, 2017
  12. Alvie Win User
    Ok thanks

I'll give it some more time to ensure I don't have BSODs

Alvie, Jan 23, 2017
  13. Alvie Win User

When I was using the catalyst drivers, I didn't have any BSODs but when I went to Crimson drivers again I started getting them again. I am thinking its a driver issue but still not ruling out hardware, should I try to get it returned?

Alvie, Feb 10, 2017
  14. philc43 Win User
    Personally I would stick with the catalyst drivers but by all means ask MSI and if they have tested your card with the crimson drivers and it works they might take it back or have a suggestion for how to get it working.

philc43, Feb 10, 2017
  15. Alvie Win User
    I asked them if they would allow me to return it but they said their base is in Netherlands but I live in the UK so it will cost me a bit. I know this is kinda unrelated but do you think that they may pay for the postage?

Alvie, Feb 17, 2017
Thema:

1. BSODs at random times atikmdag.sys THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER - Similar Threads - BSODs random times

2. BSOD : Thread stuck in device driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD : Thread stuck in device driver: I recently got my pc built and I've noticed that when I'm playing games or doing other stuff, it sometimes starts to feel a little choppy and laggy-ish and then it crashes giving the error Thread Stuck in Device DriverIt has happened alot of times with me, it works perfectly...
  3. BSOD thread stuck in device driver

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD thread stuck in device driver: Hi, I have been getting the BSOD on my new pc. Here are the specs: Motherboard: asrock b450m hdv r4.0 Bios version p3.70 Cpu: ryzen 3 3200g part # yd3200c5fhbox Ram: 1x8gb gskill aegis 3000 mhz Ssd: kingston 120gb Psu: 400watt Os: windows 10 pro fully updated Drivers:...
  4. Thread stuck in device driver BSOD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Thread stuck in device driver BSOD: Hello everyone, I have been having this error while playing X-Plane 11. I am reinstalling it as I am typing. I updated all my drivers to the newest version including my RX Vega 54. I don't know what to do. Can someone please help me?...
  5. BSOD Device driver stuck in thread

BSOD Device driver stuck in thread: Have no clue why i get this, all my drivers are updated to the newest. Here`s a link to a folder with my dump files and sysinfo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgdnkJ74kZzOlX34CFIrFWZBPnYQ?e=p12wbi...
  6. BSOD - Thread Stuck in Device Driver

BSOD - Thread Stuck in Device Driver: Hello I bought this PC, second-hand, works great in many ways but every so often I get the BSOD with the above stop code. I've updated all drivers in Device Manager and all Windows Updates are fine. Not sure what else to do Here is the link to my dmp and msinfo files....
  7. Thread stuck in device driver - Random BSOD

Thread stuck in device driver - Random BSOD: Hi there. I bought a computer a year back or so and It has been working perfectly. Some time ago (cannot remember exactly when), I started getting BSOD crashes. These crashes can occur whenever, this stretches from browsing facebook all the way to playing intense games....
  8. Thread stuck in device driver while playing csgo - atikmdag+dxgkrnl

Thread stuck in device driver while playing csgo - atikmdag+dxgkrnl: Thread stuck in device driver while playing csgo - atikmdag+dxgkrnl I often get bsod Thread_stuck_in_device_driver while playing csgo. I have freshly(maybe 1 week ago) installed windows 10 creators update (i must reinstall because upgrade from anniversary update doesn't...
  9. BSOD Thread stuck in device driver

BSOD Thread stuck in device driver: Here is my computer: A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core, FBM-02 MicroATX Mini Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker Occasionally when I'm multitasking on the computer, it will have this error: Attachment 99662 I will attach all logs in a compressed file for your viewing pleasure:...
  10. BSOD Thread stuck In Device Driver

BSOD Thread stuck In Device Driver: Every so often (once every two or three weeks) it's quite random, normally when playing games. The game normally freezes and then the BSOD occurs. I am quite good with computers on the basic side of things but all this BSOD solving seems quite complicated so I might get a...
Tags: