Windows 10: BSODs starting Virtualbox VMs

Discus and support BSODs starting Virtualbox VMs in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi experts! Oracle VM VirtualBox v5.0.20r106931 installed on build 14332 this week. BSODs when starting both custom and preconstructed VMs - in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Fafhrd, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Fafhrd Win User

BSODs starting Virtualbox VMs

Hi experts!

Oracle VM VirtualBox v5.0.20r106931 installed on build 14332 this week.

BSODs when starting both custom and preconstructed VMs - in this case a lucid puppy linux 5.2.0 from Puppy Linux | VirtualBoxes - Free VirtualBox® Images as well as a elementaryos linux vdi made under an earlier windows10 (created Dec 28 2015)

Virtualbox logs included in BSOD debug zipfile

A few seconds after starting the VM, a BSOD occurs, which seemed to take a very long time to complete the WER process and reboot.

Attachment 77748

:)

Fafhrd, Apr 30, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

BSOD

You are running Oracle VM VirtualBox, your BSOD's are all linked to this software. You should probably try uninstalling that software and see if the BSOD's stop!

Then if necessary try reinstalling that software . . .

DaveM121, Apr 30, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    BSOD finding

Are you running Oracle VM VirtualBox, that seems to be causing these BSOD's I would try updating that software or check the Oracle website for a patch if one is available . . .

DaveM121, Apr 30, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi Fafhrd,

Unfortunately I see that with a few crashes no minidump has been saved.
    Code: Event[902]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting Date: 2016-04-29T18:32:19.707 Event ID: 1005 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-HBE5NTE Description: Unable to produce a minidump file from the full dump file. Event[902]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting Date: 2016-04-29T18:32:19.707 Event ID: 1005 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-HBE5NTE Description: Unable to produce a minidump file from the full dump file.[/quote] When I take a look at the dump it immediately says memory corruption (I won't go into the why part), however as you're running the TP version it is difficult to say if it is a problem in the drivers of VirtualBox or the Memory Management of Windows.

Is VirtualBox upgraded to the newest version or is it a clean install of it?

5. Fafhrd Win User
    Thanks for that axe0.

It was a new download - I wasn't sure if It was an upgrade for the following reasons - I looked for Virtualbox in the start menu apps before, didn't see it and downloaded the installer and ran it, only afterwards I realised that it was entered on the apps list as "Oracle VM Virtualbox".

I am not sure if Virtualbox survives an insider upgrade, or not. I believe that the Virtualbox installer itself removes prior installations on a fresh install, doesn't it?

When I've finished with the laptop tonight I'll try to reproduce the BSOD and run the debug data collector again immediately after rebooting.

It's not the end of the world - I only wanted to run a lightweight linux to use an old (equally lightweight) scanner, which I know runs fine without any installation under Puppy Linux. Curse that damn WDDM!

Fafhrd, Apr 30, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    Normally installers do so to prevent problems, however usually a reboot is required to finish the process.

axe0, May 1, 2016
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    Attachment 77782

Well, it certainly had a reboot between reinstall and the latest BSOD this time!

Fafhrd, May 1, 2016
  8. Ztruker Win User

I looked at the latest dump just for grins. It says

Code: BugCheck 3B, {c0000096, ffffcd801ba3f890, ffffcd8068c6ada0, 0} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for VMMR0.r0 *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for VMMR0.r0 Probably caused by : memory_corruption[/quote] Searching on the bugcheck 3B, I found several threads which ended up being a defective CPU. Problems with VT-x support.

Sounds like a good time to run Prime95 and Memtest86+ (overnight).

Attachment 77809

Ztruker, May 1, 2016
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    Stress testing seem to have passed OK, will have to run Memtest tonight.

Attachment 77824

Cannot recall another BSOD since I got this Compaq Presario CQ57 in August 2012 with Win 7 Home >Win 8 Pro >Win 8 MCE, >Win 8.1 Pro > Win 10 (insider) Normally cool and steady, it's no speed demon though!

Fafhrd, May 1, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    I don't believe a memory test would be necessary, but if you want to run it no problem *Smile

Do you have another system with Windows 10 TP installed or know someone who does? So we can test if this problem is due to VirtualBox or a bug in the memory management. With a bug in the memory management it doesn't necessarily have to crash at the other system too with the same software, with a problem in VirtualBox it does which I believe it is even though you're running the unstable version of Windows.

11. Fafhrd Win User
    Not another with x64.

I have another system with 14332 x86 installed (only 2GB RAM), so not really enough to test a VM in Virtualbox, but I have another partition on this laptop with 10586 x86 running, which I can try as you suggest.

I can also upgrade this x86 to 14332 on the laptop to do a more direct comparison afterwards.

However, a busy UK Bank Holiday May Fayre today so I might prefer to do my testing in the beer tent instead! Not a good Idea to take the laptop along. *Smile

Fafhrd, May 1, 2016
  12. axe0 New Member
    Keep us posted on how it is going *Smile

13. Fafhrd Win User

Just an update. Puppy Linux works fine in Virtualbox on 10586.218 x86 on the Compaq laptop.

Next step is to check with the TP build 14332, which I'm not looking forward to... *Shock

Fafhrd, May 1, 2016
  14. Ztruker Win User
    I'll try Oracle VB 5.0.20 on my Toshiba Laptop running Win 10 Pro X64 IP 14332 and see how it works there. It has 4GB of ram.

Ztruker, May 2, 2016
  15. essenbe Win User
    In the FWIW department, I have an install of 14332 X64 in VMWare. It ran fine for a couple of days until VMWare updated and new VMWare tools were installed. It would BSOD on almost every startup. It never created a dump file. Once I could get it to boot, it ran fine. I did a Repair Install and it has been starting fine since. I believe it had something to do with either the new VMWare client or the tools.

essenbe, May 2, 2016
Thema:

1. BSODs starting Virtualbox VMs - Similar Threads - BSODs starting Virtualbox

2. Ubuntu freezing or not starting in VirtualBox

in Windows 10 News
    Ubuntu freezing or not starting in VirtualBox: [ATTACH]Virtual Machines are like a gateway to enjoying multiple OSs on a single system. A Windows user can enjoy Linux, Mac, and other operating systems. However, a lot of users are complaining that Ubuntu is freezing in Oracle VirtualBox. We are going to resolve this issue...
  3. BSOD's issues on VirtualBox

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    BSOD's issues on VirtualBox: Hello W10 community, I have installed windows 10 as guest on VirtualBox but have BSOD issues. Host is Linux. any idea? Is windows 10 not suitable for VB? Thanks in advanced. 178715
  4. BSOD (CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT) upon starting up Win98 VM in Virtualbox

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD (CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT) upon starting up Win98 VM in Virtualbox: Windows 10 (host machine) crashes with CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT when I try to run a Win98 guest in Virtualbox. Linux guests work fine. CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X GPU: Radeon RX 580 AMD-V: enabled HyperV: disabled I've updated all AMD drivers using the utility. Bugcheck...
  5. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bsod continously happening on VMs.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bsod continously happening on VMs.: I have a windows 10 insider (dev channel) VM which continuously crashes in its VM with the error code IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, so I made another one and I get the same results. I tried using a non insider installation but it still crashes. Is it a known issue? Is there a fix?...
  6. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bsod continously happening on VMs.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bsod continously happening on VMs.: I have a windows 10 insider dev channel VM which continuously crashes in its VM with the error code IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, so I made another one and I get the same results. I tried using a non insider installation but it still crashes. Is it a known issue? Is there a fix? Is...
  7. VirtualBox BSOD

in Windows 10 Customization
    VirtualBox BSOD: I have a HP Laptop running Windows 10 Home, which came pre-installed on the laptop. I have to use virtualbox to run other OSes and their respective software, and I recently have noticed whenever I shut down a guest OS, I get a BSOD with "Secure Kernel Error" as the stopcode....
  8. VirtualBox cannot start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    VirtualBox cannot start: Hello I am running a fresh install of Windows 10 1909 because I changed my Hard drive to an SSD, and I cannot start my virtual machines that I have imported from my previous install of windows 10 1809. I have Hyper-v, sandbox, containers, and all other virtual machine...
  9. Virtualbox Edge on Windows 10 VMs (free ones)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Virtualbox Edge on Windows 10 VMs (free ones): I recently downloaded the Windows 10 Edge vm to install into VirtualBox. By default it has 40GB of disk space and I used VBoxManage (virtual box path command) to increase that size on the default vmdk to 80GB and import it as a vdi. For some reason though the Windows VM still...
  10. BSOD when installing Oracle VirtualBox

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BSOD when installing Oracle VirtualBox: I'm currently trying to install VirtualBox 6.0.6 on my Windows 10 laptop, but halfway through the installation (I assume when it is trying to install the USB driver for it), I get a BSOD with the stop code: IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL. I have updated my drivers, made sure I...