Windows 10: BSODs with random bug check codes in games using NVidia GPU

Discus and support BSODs with random bug check codes in games using NVidia GPU in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a new build with the following specs: MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme/USB3.1 CPU: Intel i7-5930k, currently not OC'ed CPU Cooler:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by champe, Aug 13, 2015.

1. champe Win User

BSODs with random bug check codes in games using NVidia GPU

Hi all,

I have a new build with the following specs:

MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme/USB3.1
    CPU: Intel i7-5930k, currently not OC'ed
    CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80+ PLATINUM, 1000W
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X (EVGA Overclocked version)
    SSD (Win 10 boot drive): Intel 750 Series PCIe AIC 1.2TB Internal SSD
    HDD: Western Digital Red Pro 4TB NAS
    Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Mechanical
    Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

I installed Windows 10 Pro on the Intel SSD, installation went smoothly. I updated all of the drivers from the Asus web site, and am currently running those. Everything runs fine, mostly web browing with Chrome, MS Office apps and Quicken. I have sleep turned off, and system is pretty stable.

The only problem is when I try to run the two games I've got installed, GuildWars 2 and Skyforge, they both get blue screens after approximately 1 to 5 minutes from starting them up. This is happens 100% of the time. I've tried many, many things to isolate the problem, but so far, no dice.

Some of the things I've done, that haven't helped:

1. Reseated the Titan X in the PCI slot.
    2. Removed the memory modules and installed them in reverse order in the same slots.
    3. Manually checked all connections on the motherboard (and elsewhere) to make sure they're attached well,
    4. Inspected front and back of motherboard for possible contact with any loose wires or with other components that might cause shorts.
    5. Ran memory and stress tests on system using Asus PC Diagnotics program.
    6. Tried turning down the overclocking on the Titan X using the Asus Precision X program. I don't know if this does anything because the GPU board may be "hard-wired" to the overclocked speed.

Anyway, if any of you are using a high-end graphics card on this motherboard with Windows 10, and have had seemingly random BSODs when running games only, and have any solutions, recommendations, or additional information about this setup, I'd really appreciate your response.

I'm attaching a couple of minidumps (the only ones I have at the moment), but I have gotten many while trying to run the games, and they've been all over the board in terms of likely causes (for example, they've implicated ntoskrnl.exe, netio.sys, and cl.dll, to name a few). Several of them have been of the type "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". Please let me know of any other information that you'd like to have.

Since many of you are like me and have spent a small fortune to build a system for gaming primarily, I'm sure you can understand that this is really frustrating.

Thanks in advance for your help.

:)

champe, Aug 13, 2015

2. BSOD Power state driver failure and Driver IRQL not less and equal

It looks as if this is a problem with your Nvidia graphics card. Based on my experience with my ASUS ROG gaming laptop, there were previously a lot of unsolved issues with the Maxwell based graphics chips from ASUS (Post GTX860M) that caused a lot of random
    BSODs when the dedicated GPU is accessed.

Most of these issues have now been solved with new drivers available from Nvidia. I recommend visiting their driver support page ( Drivers | GeForce ) and downloading the latest version (358.50 as of now).

Let us know how it goes. By the way, what version of Nvidia GPU do you have?

Usman Mohammed, Aug 13, 2015
  3. howardc64 Win User
    Legacy Geforce 6150se nforce 430 -- Random BSOD's with 1709

Same identical hardware and software issue here (6150SE GPU, NVidia 309.08 driver)

Found a better test than random BSOD, use Google earth. Runs perfect with Win10 1703, 1709 has rendering problem in main window (all black). Clearly something changed in graphics subsystem.

Left notes at link below. Entire thread BSOD with 6150SE GPU + 309.08 driver + Win10 1709 combination

Random blue screen after Windows 10 Fall Creators update - HP Support Forum

Also posted on Feedback app

howardc64, Aug 13, 2015
  4. essenbe Win User

Hello, Champe and welcome to the forums. I will try to help you. This is what your 2 dump files said.

Code: Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information. BugCheck 1A, {41792, fffff6800007cb70, 10000000000, 0} Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( ONE_BIT ) Followup: MachineOwner[/quote]
    Code: CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION (109) This bugcheck is generated when the kernel detects that critical kernel code or data have been corrupted. There are generally three causes for a corruption: 1) A driver has inadvertently or deliberately modified critical kernel code or data. See http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver...tPatching.mspx 2) A developer attempted to set a normal kernel breakpoint using a kernel debugger that was not attached when the system was booted. Normal breakpoints, "bp", can only be set if the debugger is attached at boot time. Hardware breakpoints, "ba", can be set at any time. 3) A hardware corruption occurred, e.g. failing RAM holding kernel code or data. Arguments: Arg1: a3a01f598f0624f4, Reserved Arg2: b3b72bdfe183cc6f, Reserved Arg3: fffff801d8e72524, Failure type dependent information Arg4: 0000000000000001, Type of corrupted region, can be 0 : A generic data region 1 : Modification of a function or .pdata 2 : A processor IDT 3 : A processor GDT 4 : Type 1 process list corruption 5 : Type 2 process list corruption 6 : Debug routine modification 7 : Critical MSR modification[/quote] Based on the dump files it would appear you have bad Ram, and we may need to test it. Before we do, I would like to give you instructions, but first I would like to try something else. I noticed a lot of errors from DipAwayMode.exe . That is a power saving feature of AI Suite 3. It seems that when it comes out of power saving mode, it can cause a BSOD. To run Memtest86+ with 32 GB of memory would take somewhere around 40 hours of testing, so I would like to try something else first.

Please uninstall AI Suite 3 and then run their AI Suite removal tool. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...te-III-Cleaner. Try that and let me know if the problem is better.

essenbe, Aug 14, 2015
  5. champe Win User
    Thanks for your quick response, and suggestion. I will try removing AI Suite using the cleaner and see if it makes a difference. I had removed AI Suite for a while before, and it didn't seem to affect anything, but I didn't use the cleaner. I'll let you know what happens.

champe, Aug 14, 2015
  6. essenbe Win User
    OK, but you are having a whole lot of errors from that part of it. From what I have read on it, is it is a power saving feature and will cause a BSOD fairly quickly when coming out of the power saving mode going to full performance mode. That sounds much like what you are experiencing. Starting a game would cause it to come out of power saving mode. For some reason AI Suite causes some people lots of problems while some have no problems at all. I don't have it installed, but I did when I first built this rig and it caused me no problems. I also have 2 Z77 rigs with it installed and it is no problem. But again, others it causes many problems.

essenbe, Aug 14, 2015
  7. champe Win User
    I did the complete removal of the AI Suite as you suggested. But in the process I decided to try a memory test program recommended by someone on the ASUS Rog Forum. It's called HCI Memtest. When I ran it, it immediately started reporting memory errors - lots of them.

So I think I'd better focus on determining if the memory is bad and will get back to you on what I find out.

Thanks Essenbe for your help.

champe, Aug 14, 2015
  8. essenbe Win User

essenbe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. BSODs with random bug check codes in games using NVidia GPU - Similar Threads - BSODs random bug

2. BSOD DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION Bug Check Code 0x000000e6

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION Bug Check Code 0x000000e6: Hello, I am getting BSOD BSOD DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION about once a month, always overnight with laptop in sleep mode.Context: HP Elitebook 850 G7 Notebook PC Product number: 1C9H7UT#ABA Factory hardware, no changes to it Lots of USB connectivity: all USB ports occupied,...
  3. BSOD DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION Bug Check Code 0x000000e6

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION Bug Check Code 0x000000e6: Hello, I am getting BSOD BSOD DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION about once a month, always overnight with laptop in sleep mode.Context: HP Elitebook 850 G7 Notebook PC Product number: 1C9H7UT#ABA Factory hardware, no changes to it Lots of USB connectivity: all USB ports occupied,...
  4. BSOD DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION Bug Check Code 0x000000e6

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Random BSOD - Bug Check 0x133 DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Random BSOD - Bug Check 0x133 DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION: Hi all My PC has Windows 10 20H2, and randomly shows BSOD with the exact same error DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION Some snippets of my errors: ******************************************************************************* *...
  6. Random BSOD On Burst With Different Bug Check

Random BSOD On Burst With Different Bug Check: Hi, recently, I have been getting random BSOD on a burst. The laptop would randomly crashes one time and crashes again soon later, and then goes on working fine for the next 4 - 5 days without issues. Then after a period of time it would happen again. I have ran checkdisk...
  7. BSOD Bug Check

BSOD Bug Check: Ever since I installed the Windows 10 1903 update last 6/19/19 my Windows 10 Professional computer has started crashing seemingly at random and always displaying the same BSOD stopCode: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY (be) Before I installed the aforementioned update, I...
  8. BSOD - Multiple error codes/bug checks

BSOD - Multiple error codes/bug checks: Attached is my dmp file. This has been happening for months. I reformatted/upgraded my PC recently to Windows 10, which leads me to believe that it shouldn't be a driver issue (I assume it's probably a hardware issue) But I was hoping you guys could help me pin point what it...
  9. BSOD Bug Check Code Reference

BSOD Bug Check Code Reference: *Arrow Bug Check Code Reference | Microsoft Docs 108432
  10. random bluescreens Bug Check Code : 0x00000133

random bluescreens Bug Check Code : 0x00000133: I am new here so if anything is wrong with how this is posted let me know. Anyway I bought a acer laptop about a month ago exact model Aspire E5-774G-52W1. This just started happening today out of the blue but here are some exported logs from bluescreenview I managed to...