Windows 10: Bug in massive file extension renaming

Discus and support Bug in massive file extension renaming in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm found a wrong behavior in changing the file extension for more than one file. Having selected many file by the standard win10 file browser Win10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by paolo guccini, May 2, 2020.

1. Bug in massive file extension renaming

I'm found a wrong behavior in changing the file extension for more than one file.

Having selected many file by the standard win10 file browser Win10 v1909, I try to change the extension in one shot by F2 key, by context menu, by Ribbon too.

The regular box on the file name to rename it is opened and I can change/add the extension.

When I press Return, all the selected file are renamed I need to take care just of ext, not about name

The behavior I expect is to see the new extension on all files.
    Instead, previous ext is manteined and it is duplicated. The new extension simply discarted.

Esample on two files, selected and pressing F2 on the first one
    3.delme
    4.delme

Case "A": Changing/sustitution of current ext ".delme" by ".xml", they remains:

3.delme

4.delme

case "B" : Adding the further extension ".xml" to abtain "3.delme.xml", they became:
    3.delme.delme
    4.delme.delme

Then, I suppose is not possible a massive file renaming for just extensions.

:)

paolo guccini, May 2, 2020
  2. Jake74 Win User

Bug: cannot rename the file/dir to a name starting with "."

It's nothing to do with a virus, it's a bug in the Windows Explorer shell, which disappointingly still hasn't been fixed in Windows 10.

File and folder names beginning with a period are commonly used for special purposes, e.g. ".htaccess" file for Apache Web Server, which it is impossible to create from within Windows Explorer due to this bug. In fact, I have 11 such-named folders under
    C:\Users\MyUserName, including ".thumbnails" which might be created by Windows itself. If there happened to be some issue which to resolve would mean renaming it to ".thumbnails-bak", it would not be possible in Windows Explorer, though as the OP points out,
    it can be done with `move` (or `ren`) from the command prompt.

This bug has been present in all versions of Windows from at least as far back as Windows XP (probably even Windows 95, so 20+ years to fix a bug is quite a long turn around), and almost certainly stems from the option to "Hide extensions for known file
    types" (which is set by default) because the test of file/folder name validity is being incorrectly run on the name with the extension stripped - a
    completely empty filename is invalid - and the in-place editor works on the filename without extension if the extension is hidden.

Steps to Reproduce (Windows 10; similar for earlier versions of Windows):

• Go to Control Panel > File Explorer Options > View
    • Under Files and Folders uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types", and click OK;
    • Start File Explorer, and browse to, say, Documents;
    • Right-click, and select New > Folder;
    • Type a name beginning with a period, such as ".test" (without quotes) and press return.
    Result

A message box with the title 'Rename' and content "You must type a file name" appears, and the folder is instead created with the name "New Folder"

Expected Result

A folder with the name typed is created.

When will this be fixed?

Please don't say the behaviour is 'by design' - if it is, someone got the design wrong, and that needs fixing! It is an irritating inconvenience to have to bring up a DOS box to work around the bug every time.

Jake74, May 2, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    How to rename multiple sorted files while ignoring file extensions

Hi, suggest you play with this (or similar) - free for personal use, donationware.

Bug in massive file extension renaming [​IMG]

dalchina, May 2, 2020
  4. Bug in massive file extension renaming

File extension *.docx

Hi Randy,

To change the file extension when saving a document in Word 2013, you may follow the steps below:

• Click on File; then, select Options from the list.
    • In the Word Options window, choose Save.
    • Under Save files in this format, select *.doc from the list.
    • Hit OK button to confirm and save the changes.

If ever your Word 2013 application is not recognizing the changes you have made, you may restart the application; however, if the issue still persists, we suggest that you repair it. To do this, see this
    link.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, May 2, 2020
Thema:

Bug in massive file extension renaming

1. Bug in massive file extension renaming - Similar Threads - Bug massive file

2. What happens if you rename a file extension to a ransomware extension?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What happens if you rename a file extension to a ransomware extension?: Hi,So I was reading about the SOVA ransomware when suddenly I started wondering about what would happen if I changed the file extension of a safe file to a ransomware's file extension for example, picture.jpg converts to picture.djvu, the extension for one of the oldest...
  3. batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav

in Windows 10 Gaming
    batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav: Hi folks,my audio devices produce thousands of .WAV files. To analyze them I use a R-package, but the scripts are using ".wav" , so the commands do not work with my files. I tried to rename them with a couple of files in a test folder on the C: drive withren *.WAV *.wavThis...
  4. batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav: Hi folks,my audio devices produce thousands of .WAV files. To analyze them I use a R-package, but the scripts are using ".wav" , so the commands do not work with my files. I tried to rename them with a couple of files in a test folder on the C: drive withren *.WAV *.wavThis...
  5. Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension: When I use to rename a file, I would do a slow double click and it would highlight the name of the file but not the extension.Like this:filename123.jpgI don't know why this was changed or when, but when now when I go to rename a file and do the slow double click it...
  6. Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension: When I use to rename a file, I would do a slow double click and it would highlight the name of the file but not the extension.Like this:filename123.jpgI don't know why this was changed or when, but when now when I go to rename a file and do the slow double click it...
  7. Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. File Folder rename bug?

File Folder rename bug?: Dear all,Is this a bug or not?Have you ever tried to rename a file/folder and get this annoying behavior from Windows 10? See description below:Step 1: Select the file/folderStep 2: Press F2 or right-click on it and select "rename". Windows 10 highlights the whole name in...
  9. Bug ? - Renaming Files

Bug ? - Renaming Files: This seems to be a bug. Nonetheless would appreciate your resolution to each item. 1, WIndows 10 - When I rename a file that is not inside a folder, I can readily rename the file with absolutely no issue. However, if I rename a file that is inside a folder, it will always...
  10. Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File

in Windows 10 Customization
    Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File: Hello, Pretty self explanatory question, but not turning up the results I need. If I use a command line window to change a bunch of file types, I can do the following: CD LocalDirectory\Is\Located\Here REN *.jpg *.tif This changes every file that has a JPG extension to...