Windows 10: Bug in Windows networking - Private connection is reported to WinRM as being public

Discus and support Bug in Windows networking - Private connection is reported to WinRM as being public in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am getting the same error as: How can I get winrm to setup Firewall Exceptions? - Microsoft Community As is typical, MS palms it off to community... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by John Gwinner, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Bug in Windows networking - Private connection is reported to WinRM as being public

I am getting the same error as:

How can I get winrm to setup Firewall Exceptions? - Microsoft Community

As is typical, MS palms it off to community support, when clearly it's a defective product.

Situation: I have two NIC's in my machine. As far as I know, both are set to private.

When I try to setup WinRM to allow HyperV connections from another PC IN MY SAME HOUSE - it says I cannot:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Enable-PSRemoting

WinRM is already set up to receive requests on this computer.

Set-WSManQuickConfig : <f:WSManFault xmlns:f="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wsman/1/wsmanfault" Code="2150859113"

Machine="localhost"><f:Message><fBug in Windows networking - Private connection is reported to WinRM as being public :providerFault provider="Config provider"

path="%systemroot%\system32\WsmSvc.dll"><f:WSManFault xmlns:f="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wsman/1/wsmanfault"

Code="2150859113" Machine="mymachine"><f:Message>WinRM firewall exception will not work since one of the network connection

types on this machine is set to Public. Change the network connection type to either Domain or Private and try again.

</f:Message></f:WSManFault></fBug in Windows networking - Private connection is reported to WinRM as being public :providerFault></f:Message></f:WSManFault>

At line:116 char:17

+ Set-WSManQuickConfig -force

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: : [Set-WSManQuickConfig], InvalidOperationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : WsManError,Microsoft.WSMan.Management.SetWSManQuickConfigCommand

Yet, if I check the current connection:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-NetConnectionProfile

Name : Network

InterfaceAlias : vEthernet External NIC

InterfaceIndex : 68

NetworkCategory : Private

IPv4Connectivity : Internet

IPv6Connectivity : NoTraffic

:)

John Gwinner, Dec 25, 2020

2. Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Dec 25, 2020
  3. redturtle Win User
    Set Network Location to Private or Public in Windows 10  

Hi Brink and thank you for the welcome Bug in Windows networking - Private connection is reported to WinRM as being public :)

I tried what you suggested but when doing this, i noticed that whenever i am connected to my VPN, the Windows network shows up as "unidentified network" instead of network 1,2,3 or whatever. So when i went into regedit and looked for networks, i found some but none called unidentified.
    There was one network with the value 0 so i changed it to 1 (private) but after checking, my VPN connection still shows as public.

I am not really sure why it says unidentified network in Windows when i am connected to the VPN but it seems that this is the cause for the problem. If i could only find the VPN network in the list of networks in regedit, i think i would be able to change the value to 1.

Hmm..not sure how to proceed with this. Any ideas?

Bug in Windows networking - Private connection is reported to WinRM as being public [​IMG]

redturtle, Dec 25, 2020
  4. Winuser Win User

Bug in Windows networking - Private connection is reported to WinRM as being public

Private or Public

I just noticed in Windows defender My network is listed as public. Does it matter if my network is listed as private or public. I found how to change it if I have to. I just want to know if it matters. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. In the network box on the task bar it only shows my wi-fi connections and not my wired connection. I'm connected by wire to the router. I'm using build 10162 upgraded from Windows 8.1.1.

Winuser, Dec 25, 2020
Thema:

Bug in Windows networking - Private connection is reported to WinRM as being public

1. Bug in Windows networking - Private connection is reported to WinRM as being public - Similar Threads - Bug networking Private

2. Network showing as 'public' not 'private'.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network showing as 'public' not 'private'.: My private network shows up as 'public' on my new laptop and 'private' on my 1-year old desktop. Both are using Windows 11. How do I get it private on the laptop?...
  3. Network showing as 'public' not 'private'.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network showing as 'public' not 'private'.: My private network shows up as 'public' on my new laptop and 'private' on my 1-year old desktop. Both are using Windows 11. How do I get it private on the laptop?...
  4. Public or Private network question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public or Private network question: OK so in in Windows 10 you can choose whether your computer is on public or private network. I did my homework so I know that Private is recommended for home and it makes your PC discovarable and opens file sharing and public is recommended for public places like coffee shops...
  5. Public or Private network question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Public or Private network question: OK so in in Windows 10 you can choose whether your computer is on public or private network. I did my homework so I know that Private is recommended for home and it makes your PC discovarable and opens file sharing and public is recommended for public places like coffee shops...
  6. Public or Private network question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. public or private network settings

public or private network settings: windows 10, network created as private to enable sharing of network devices, but the public network takes over when rebooting, how to make the private settings stay primary? aslo the subnet pickups up the wifi factory address as 192.168.7.1 and locks to 255.255.255.0 no...
  8. Public or Private Network

Public or Private Network: Hello, May I ask: Should a home PC user select (from their network properties) the Public or Private Network Option? I don't want my PC to be viewed or discoverable by any neighbors in the WiFi Network. I will not be file sharing. Just simply want security. Thanks...
  9. Private and Public Network Connections

Private and Public Network Connections: Hey everyone, just recently I reset my modem and router and my laptop. I have made sure that my home router is secure yet when I connect to it, if I go to settings it sets me as a public network. This is weird because when I got my laptop and connected, the computer...
  10. Setting public to private networks

Setting public to private networks: I have a VPN for internet traffic which has a virtual adaptor, that is set to private. But the real adaptor is set to a public network and I want to set it to see other devices, therefore I want to change it to private how do I do this in build 1809? Winver says I have win...