Windows 10: Bug: "Microsoft Family" member activity was not reported for weeks on end

Discus and support Bug: "Microsoft Family" member activity was not reported for weeks on end in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; One of my children (child A) had been using another child's account (child B) to circumvent time limits. I had suspected this, but felt reassured... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Pxtl, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Pxtl Win User

Bug: "Microsoft Family" member activity was not reported for weeks on end

One of my children (child A) had been using another child's account (child B) to circumvent time limits.

I had suspected this, but felt reassured because the "Child B" account information in Microsoft Family was constantly blank.

It turns out Microsoft Family misreported the data.

When I log in as "Child B" and access their "activity history", I see this:

https://account.microsoft.com/privacy/activity-history?view=usage

Bug: "Microsoft Family" member activity was not reported for weeks on end a032cb41-499f-45cc-bab0-7b97ee66228c?upload=true.png

I get completely different information than is provided about the same user account in MS Family:

https://account.microsoft.com/family/settings/recent-activity/
    IDNUMBERGOESHERE

Bug: "Microsoft Family" member activity was not reported for weeks on end bcfa8f55-80eb-42bb-a727-6236c86eb541?upload=true.png

See? A reassuring "When your child uses apps or games, they'll appear here." And yes, I have confirmed that "Activity Reporting" is ON.

This problem was going on for a long time, but I kept checking the MS Family page and seeing that "When your child uses apps or games, they'll appear here." and believing it.

At its current state, this bug makes the tool worse than useless. If I had not used "MS Family" *at all*, then I would've acted on my hunch and discovered the problem. Instead, MS Family provided a false assurance that things were okay when they are not.

When is this going to be fixed?

:)

2. Family activity report

Hi Javier,

There are ways on how to manage activity reporting for your child. To configure your account settings, here are the steps:

• Go to the account.microsoft.com/family site at Microsoft on any PC
    • Then sign-in
    • Open Settings
    • Tap on the Accounts icon
    • Click on Family and other users on the left side
    • Chose Manage family settings online
    • Check recent activity link for the child's account

Turn On and Manage Activity Reporting for Child

• Click on Recent activity on the left side, and turn on Activity reporting.
    • Check or uncheck to Email weekly reports to me for what you want.
    • Under Web browsing, Apps and games etc., you can view your child's recent activity for each one, tap on Change settings
    • Then set allowed times to manage them, and to block any apps and games.

To Turn Off Activity Reporting for your Child, just tap on Recent activity on the left side, and turn off Activity reporting on the right side.

Get back to us if the steps won't work.

Marilou Ser, Jul 14, 2019
  3. Microsoft Family Account - Weekly Activity Report Contradiction

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Are you aware of any changes made on your PC, prior to this issue?
    2. Were you able to track the screen time for the whole week, prior to this issue occurred?

I understand your concern, let us try few troubleshooting methods to resolve this issue and check if that helps:

Method 1: Make sure the 'Diagnostic & feedback' to 'Full' on the child's device.

To do that,

1. Tap on 'Windows + I' on the keyboard.
    2. Click on the 'Privacy' option.
    3. Now click on the 'Diagnostics & feedback' option under 'Windows permissions'.
    4. Now select the 'Full' option under 'Diagnostic data'.
    Refer the article on See your child's device use with
    activity reports
    more information.

Method 2: If the issue persists, remove and re-add the child account to the family account.

To remove the child account, refer the article on Remove
    members from your family group
    for steps to remove the child account.

To add the child account back into the family, I suggest you to refer the article on

Add members to your family group
    and follow the steps mentioned in the article.

Reply with the status of the issue in-order to assist you further.

We await your response.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jul 14, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Add member to your Microsoft family in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To add a family member to your Microsoft account, I suggest you to follow the steps from

Add members to your Microsoft family.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Bug: "Microsoft Family" member activity was not reported for weeks on end - Similar Threads - Bug Microsoft Family

2. Microsoft Family Safety Activity Report

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Family Safety Activity Report: Hello, I am having issues with Microsoft Family Safety Activity Report. One computer is not reporting any screen/app usage at all. Others using the same account do, but I am unable to get this one to work. I have tried many fixes from Microsoft and other sources...
  3. Weekly activity report scheduling

Weekly activity report scheduling: Hello, Can someone help me change the weekly activity reporting for my children? I am getting reporting covering Wed to Tue for one child and Sat to Fri for another child. I want to change both weekly reporting to cover from Mon to Sun. Please let me know how can this be...
  4. Family Activity Reporting

Family Activity Reporting: Anyone have experience with family activity reporting? I'm trying to get an idea of how accurate it is. The hours seem excessive and while it may be real I was suspect with them because of such a high number on a given day (Thanksgiving) when I no there wasn't much usage...
  5. microsoft family not reporting activity

microsoft family not reporting activity: just recently set up Microsoft family, and it is not reporting activity to the parent's device. I have looked all day at forums and tried everything they suggest, yet there has been none to work. I have done these on both computers in the family. the screen time and app...
  6. Microsoft Family Weekly Activity Report Problem

Microsoft Family Weekly Activity Report Problem: I have been monitoring my son's online activity for a couple years now. Several months ago, I noticed in my weekly email report that it was always showing no activity on Saturday for him. Every single week it shows zero activity even though I see him playing and get email...
  7. Microsoft Family - Turn off CC to child's email for Weekly Activity Report

Microsoft Family - Turn off CC to child's email for Weekly Activity Report: I don't want to disable my child's email, but I do want to stop them being cc'd with the activity reports. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-family-turn-off-cc-to-childs-email-for/94d1cb5c-adf2-4068-9e30-6917bb95d6cf"
  8. Microsoft Family Account - Weekly Activity Report Contradiction

Microsoft Family Account - Weekly Activity Report Contradiction: In the weekly activity report for my son, his web browsing report shows a variety of sites visited every day of the past week. They are all legitimate sites, so I have no concerns about his web browsing. However the screen time report states that he was only using his...
  9. Microsoft Family - Turn off CC to child's email for Weekly Activity Report

Microsoft Family - Turn off CC to child's email for Weekly Activity Report: My child is CC'd on the Weekly Activity Report emails. How can I disable this? Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-family-turn-off-cc-to-childs-email-for/d9c26378-e90e-43e4-82e5-95aa27296e2e"
  10. no reported activity on Microsoft Family

no reported activity on Microsoft Family: I cannot see any activity reporting when I log in Microsoft Family. I receive a message that ‘some settings on your child's device don't allow activity reporting’. It also ask me to ensure that the level for Diagnostic Data is set to Enhanced or Full. But, as I see, this...