Windows 10: [Bug] Strange Menu Appeared on Desktop

Discus and support [Bug] Strange Menu Appeared on Desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I need a bit of help from you guys. My cat just walked over my keyboard while I was on the desktop (no applications open) and this happened:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RIPsumCT, Aug 1, 2015.

1. RIPsumCT Win User

[Bug] Strange Menu Appeared on Desktop

Hi,

I need a bit of help from you guys. My cat just walked over my keyboard while I was on the desktop (no applications open) and this happened: https://i.imgur.com/FTkUZVS.jpg (Things in RED are added by me.)

I have this strange "grid" on my desktop. It won't go away. I tried rebooting, but it stayed. It seems to be somehow tied to the explorer.exe. If I end explorer.exe, it vanishes, too.

I have literally no idea how to tackle this issue *Sad

rgds

Edit: I should add, that while right-clicking the menu elements gives me a context menu, I can't actually change anything. It's completely unresponsive.

:)

RIPsumCT, Aug 1, 2015

2. My ICONS have disappeared

How do I restore my desktop? These strange pinned square things are appearing, I want them to go away and view my regular desktop. I didn't even do anything for this to happen.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization / Start Menu

Ella (live.com, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Strange blank menu items appear

Hi,

I have a Samsung Omnia 7 and I noticed very strange behaviour of the thing. When I added my two gmail accounts it automatically created some blank icons (they're basically white stars in dark grey background) in the menu page at the top who basically direct
    you to add an account page. This is very irritating, it seems like a bug to me and i cannot delete them in any way, they don't do anything, if you hold it for a while it just shows you dimmed pin to start function, which on some icons you can press, on some
    you can't. This is driving me mad, so if anyone could help me on this it would be great!

DaveB_1984, Aug 1, 2015
  4. RIPsumCT Win User

Update: I just realized that this isn't just a wired overlay, it's actually my desktop. When I drag files or shortcuts on the desktop they are organized inside this grid. Changing the layout in the user/desktop folder doesn't change anything, though.

RIPsumCT, Aug 1, 2015
  5. RIPsumCT Win User
    Okay, solved, I'm stupid <.<
    I just had to set the view option back to icons. Still, I have no idea how it was even possibly to get that view on the desktop.

RIPsumCT, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. [Bug] Strange Menu Appeared on Desktop - Similar Threads - Bug Strange Menu

2. strange file appears on my desktop !

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    strange file appears on my desktop !: hello all .. there is an undeletable file appears on my desktop have a weird name and it doesn't even open , anyone can tell me what it is please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-file-appears-on-my-desktop/b4d59d99-7ad6-41df-9f14-00b61837dc58
  3. strange file appears on my desktop !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    strange file appears on my desktop !: hello all .. there is an undeletable file appears on my desktop have a weird name and it doesn't even open , anyone can tell me what it is please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-file-appears-on-my-desktop/b4d59d99-7ad6-41df-9f14-00b61837dc58
  4. strange file appears on my desktop !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Strange retail logo appears on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange retail logo appears on desktop: A strange logo appeared on my desktop. It does not open and has no right-click option to delete. It's frozen. I have never heard of this cosmetic company and do not know how it would magically appear. What to do?...
  6. Strange Icon Appearing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Strange Icon Appearing: Hello, Recently I am seeing the icon appearing on my desktop when logging on after a restart/shutdown or period of inactivity, and I have never seen this before, does the community here know what it means, and more importantly how I can make it stop appearing. The icon...
  7. Strange appearance for start menu apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange appearance for start menu apps: Ever since I set up my Surface Pro 4, the icons have looked strange both when pinned to Start and when I search the program from Start. There doesn't seem to be a performance issue, but the appearance has been deteriorating so that the icons now also look dark for some...
  8. Strange bug in file explorer datapath menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Strange bug in file explorer datapath menu: I found this bug out of nowhere and am not sure where I am supposed to report it so I'm doing it here. I havn't seen it before but it keeps happening when I open file explorer. The screenshot does a better job describing it than I could. Does not hinder my ability to use my...
  9. Strange empty folder randomly appears on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange empty folder randomly appears on desktop: Hi folks - I sometimes look at my main production system and notice that every so often this folder appears on my desktop: [img] The solution is to delete the empty folder, but I sense that since the title is in hex, it might be from the registry. Seems encrypted. Has...
  10. Strange, inert icon appearing on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange, inert icon appearing on desktop: Starting yesterday I found a small icon on my desktop. It floated above all windows, was unmovable, and didn't respond to mouse clicks. When I rebooted, it was gone, but today I have the same problem -- with a different icon! Here's what today's looks like: [img] How...