Windows 10: [BUG] Using DISM /OFFLINE to integrate a hotfix in a Windows Image terminates Remote...

Discus and support [BUG] Using DISM /OFFLINE to integrate a hotfix in a Windows Image terminates Remote... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I think I found a BUG in DISM Windows 11 Enterprise version 10.0.22000 build 22000.When integrating a hotfix in an offline Windows image, it sets the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by J Havinga, Feb 13, 2022.

1. J Havinga Win User

[BUG] Using DISM /OFFLINE to integrate a hotfix in a Windows Image terminates Remote...

I think I found a BUG in DISM Windows 11 Enterprise version 10.0.22000 build 22000.When integrating a hotfix in an offline Windows image, it sets the Remote Desktop service to manual and stops it.Afterwards it sets the service back to Automatic but does not start it ...So don't use DISM when using RDP, because it terminates your session ...Regards,Jacob Havinga

:)

J Havinga, Feb 13, 2022
  2. DavidY Win User

DISM - Add or Remove Drivers on an Offline Image

Ah I thought you might be doing the DISM/drivers one.

It is good info and I use parts of this frequently when I'm reinstalling on my old hardware and need to manually add drivers.

I would suggest DISM /Get-Drivers as an alternate to the Powershell step in 2.2 - the table format is quite useful I find.

One method of applying the drivers I tried which seems to work (not sure how valid it is) when clean-installing a machine as a one-off:
    1. Export drivers as per Step 2
    2. Use DISM /Get-Drivers to show which driver is which, and copy only the ones I know are problematic to a subfolder, and add this subfolder to a bootable Windows 10 Setup USB
    3. Boot Windows 10 Setup from the USB
    4. Open a command prompt with Shift F10, type command 'wpeutil shutdown' but don't press enter. Instead, Alt-Tab back to Setup
    5. Follow the normal clean install process, delete partitions and let it install the relevant edition
    6. When it says Restarting in a few seconds, quickly Alt-Tab to the command prompt and press enter, to stop it restarting but shut down instead
    7. Boot again from the USB, go straight into Shift-F10, and use DISM /add-driver to add relevant drivers to the offline Windows drive as per Step 4
    8. wpeutil shutdown again, and let it restart this time, so that Windows boots and finishes configuring itself with the new drivers available to it.
    I found it easier than Mounting the image and also means I don't change the .WIM so I can use that on other hardware without fear of non-standard (and probably quite old) drivers getting in the way .

Although in some cases I could install and change it once Windows is up and running , one of 1709's default drivers causes a BSOD during installation itself, if I don't add the alternative manually using the above technique before it gets to that point.

But it's not a technique I've seen anywhere else so I'm probably bending the rules somewhere. *Wink

DavidY, Feb 13, 2022
  3. John Zab Win User
    Windows defender offline disables mouse

Thanks for clarifying things out. If you want to ensure that Windows Defender runs a scan, we suggest that you try these steps:

• Press Windows + X, then select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.
    • Type the following commands and press Enter after each:

Dism /Online / Clenup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    • System will run integrity checks, once process is done, we suggest that you restart you PC to ensure that changes will apply
    Keep us posted.

John Zab, Feb 13, 2022
  4. [BUG] Using DISM /OFFLINE to integrate a hotfix in a Windows Image terminates Remote...

DISM - Parameter "Cleanup-Image" is not known (error 87)

Hello Eric,

To troubleshoot your concern, we suggest that you run DISM Restore Health command. Refer to the steps provided below:

• Open Command Prompt (Administrator).
    • Type the following command:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

3. Press Enter.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Stephanie Sal, Feb 13, 2022
Thema:

[BUG] Using DISM /OFFLINE to integrate a hotfix in a Windows Image terminates Remote...

1. [BUG] Using DISM /OFFLINE to integrate a hotfix in a Windows Image terminates Remote... - Similar Threads - BUG Using DISM

2. Using DISM with a downloaded image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using DISM with a downloaded image: I'm trying to repair a windows 10 installation that is unstable even in safe mode.Within the recovery environment sfc reports errorsdism / online failsso I'm trying to use DISM with a downloaded image on a USB drive.wmic logicaldisk get name shows the USB drive as drive E:...
  3. Using DISM with a downloaded image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using DISM with a downloaded image: I'm trying to repair a windows 10 installation that is unstable even in safe mode.Within the recovery environment sfc reports errorsdism / online failsso I'm trying to use DISM with a downloaded image on a USB drive.wmic logicaldisk get name shows the USB drive as drive E:...
  4. Using DISM with a downloaded image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. [BUG] Using DISM /OFFLINE to integrate a hotfix in a Windows Image terminates Remote...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [BUG] Using DISM /OFFLINE to integrate a hotfix in a Windows Image terminates Remote...: I think I found a BUG in DISM Windows 11 Enterprise version 10.0.22000 build 22000.When integrating a hotfix in an offline Windows image, it sets the Remote Desktop service to manual and stops it.Afterwards it sets the service back to Automatic but does not start it ...So...
  6. Windows Defender bug, hotfix today...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender bug, hotfix today...: If anyone noticed, in the last Windows Defender was a bug which caused you HDD/SDD filled up with crap files. In the meantime a fix has been released and is being installed silently. If you have any version of Engineversion LOWER than 1.1.18100.6 you have this bug. If you...
  7. Windows Defender bug, hotfix today...

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Defender bug, hotfix today...: If anyone noticed, in the last Windows Defender was a bug which caused you HDD/SDD filled up with crap files. In the meantime a fix has been released and is being installed silently. If you have any version of Engineversion LOWER than 1.1.18100.6 you have this bug. If you...
  8. Using DISM to restore offline image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using DISM to restore offline image: Hi Microsoft, My windows 10 bootloader is corrupted. I receive errors 0xc0000225 and 0xc0000098 while booting. I have found different methods on internet to fix it but none of it seemed to work. I was trying to repair my image using dism.exe but the problem i am facing...
  9. DISM - Edit Registry on an Offline Image

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    DISM - Edit Registry on an Offline Image: How to: DISM - Edit Registry on an Offline Image [img] Information Servicing an offline image, mounting an image, committing changes, it all sounds a bit complicated to an average Windows user. However, it's just geek speak meaning modifying default Windows install image,...
  10. DISM - Add or Remove Drivers on an Offline Image

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    DISM - Add or Remove Drivers on an Offline Image: How to: DISM - Add or Remove Drivers on an Offline Image [img] Information Servicing an offline image, mounting an image, committing changes, it all sounds a bit complicated to an average Windows user. However, it's just geek speak meaning modifying default Windows...