Windows 10: Bug with Properties in File Explorer?

Discus and support Bug with Properties in File Explorer? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have three sibling folders all under the same parent folder that should contain the same number of files. The three folders contain the same files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MB_999, May 3, 2020.

1. MB_999 Win User

Bug with Properties in File Explorer?

I have three sibling folders all under the same parent folder that should contain the same number of files. The three folders contain the same files but they have different file names.

If I use the command prompt DOS and run “dir /s” on each folder, I get 803 files for each folder. Assuming that “dir /s” is working correctly, that indicates that the three folders do indeed have the same number of files.

However, if I use File Explorer, right-click each of the three folders, and select Properties, I get the following results:

Folder #1: 808 files

Folder #2: 806 files

Folder #3: 806 files

So we have two mysteries:

• Why do none of the results with Properties match “dir /s”?
    • Why do two of the folders have a different number than the third folder, when all three have the identical number in “dir /s”?

Is there a bug in Properties?

:)

MB_999, May 3, 2020

2. File explorer file properties

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

I suggest you to follow the below procedure and check if you are able to add comment to the file.

• Right click on the files

• Select Properties

• Click on Details

• Move the cursor to comments tab and try typing the captions.
    Check if it allows you to type the comments.

I hope the information helps. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you further.

Aswin_Anand, May 3, 2020
  3. jjmwjr366 Win User
    Microsoft Properties

Hi Greg,

I followed your Task Manager steps and restarted the computer but the issue was still there.

Then I went to the first link you suggested and saw the options available. I elected to go to Microsoft Support to see if they had any File Explorer options available and they did. I downloaded the Mighty File Explorer. Using it, I checked the Properties
    of the external drive in question and it was able to see and list the size of the folder correctly! Thank you for your time. This solves the issue.

If you see a need for me to explore the other recommendations that you gave, let me know.

Thanks again!

jjmwjr366, May 3, 2020
  4. OCjp Win User

Windows Explorer/file Properties Details not displaying tags

I'm trying to tag documents so they can be found easily but I don't have the option to add a tag to a file. The Details panel in my Windows Explorer does not display tags in the list of properties. Also, when I right-click a file, go to Properties and then click the Details tab, tags are not listed there either.

Is there a way to turn this feature on? Thanks in advance for any help.

OCjp, May 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Bug with Properties in File Explorer? - Similar Threads - Bug Properties File

2. explorer file properties incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    explorer file properties incorrect: I will try to be brief; I have a sony camera that produces photos with high ISOs over 64000: if I view the properties of files with higher ISOs in Explorer, the maximum visible value remains 65535 instead of 102400. For me that I have many photos it's a problem because I...
  3. explorer file properties incorrect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    explorer file properties incorrect: I will try to be brief; I have a sony camera that produces photos with high ISOs over 64000: if I view the properties of files with higher ISOs in Explorer, the maximum visible value remains 65535 instead of 102400. For me that I have many photos it's a problem because I...
  4. file explorer bugs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer bugs: I've been having these problems for quite some time and I have tried everything but nothing seems to work, so my first bug is that every thumbnail in file explorer is just this, no matter what I do and no matter how many times I try and fix it nothing seems to work.and for my...
  5. file explorer bugs

file explorer bugs: I've been having these problems for quite some time and I have tried everything but nothing seems to work, so my first bug is that every thumbnail in file explorer is just this, no matter what I do and no matter how many times I try and fix it nothing seems to work.and for my...
  6. Filer explorer - rename file properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Filer explorer - rename file properties: Hi there, We, my office and I, wish to rename the properties available in Windows File Explorer. How can we do this? And will the changes be visible ie. MacOS?Attaching a screenshot where the rows mentioned are highlighted.Thanks,B...
  7. Filer explorer - rename file properties

Filer explorer - rename file properties: Hi there, We, my office and I, wish to rename the properties available in Windows File Explorer. How can we do this? And will the changes be visible ie. MacOS?Attaching a screenshot where the rows mentioned are highlighted.Thanks,B...
  8. File Explorer bug ?

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer bug ?: Hello,New 'bug' in file explorer (?).I do not know how to describe it, but it started this morning when started computer.I will attach a screenshot and please help me how to remove it.It is under the 'search' box.Answers will be appreciatedThanksWindows 10 pro 1909 x64,...
  9. Bug in File Explorer

Bug in File Explorer: Hi Team, Good day, Let me introduce my self, my name is mr Dedi from Jakarta-Indonesia. I have problem to save file with a long name character in a folder. Everytime I have save the file with a long name character in a folder, once I want to open it, they can not be...
  10. File explorer view file/folder properties

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer view file/folder properties: So I want all folders and files to view as "large icons"(I'm doing all of this in File Explorer) I went to C: drive, and clicked on large icons so folders and files display as such >Folder options>click on the view tab> then Apply to Folders [img] Folders and files...