Windows 10: bug with thumbnail of folders

Discus and support bug with thumbnail of folders in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] for some reason if i put a notepad file into a folder and close the folder the thumbnail of the folder looks slightly corrupted. not sure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/BumbleBee607, Jan 31, 2021.

1. bug with thumbnail of folders

bug with thumbnail of folders 44Q6vPTdAk8n3IRkYCJOdokisJnhgwKVCI_xajNe5Kw.jpg

for some reason if i put a notepad file into a folder and close the folder the thumbnail of the folder looks slightly corrupted. not sure why but its been like this for a day or 2 and its kind of annoying. already tried clearing out temporary files (thumbnails etc) and doing /sfc scannow

Processing img h7rxc6j9dre61...

the bug

submitted by /u/BumbleBee607
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/BumbleBee607, Jan 31, 2021
  2. Dgo47 Win User

File Explorer not showing thumbnails

Brink,

Many thanks for you reply. I have done all the steps you suggested, but no change,

When I open a folder containing photos, some open correctly but the vast majority open with thumbnails, but they very quickly get overwritten and you can not longer see the thumbnails.

Are there any more suggestions?

Dgo47, Jan 31, 2021
  3. Windows 10: transparent icon bug in thumbnail preview

I can confirm the issue exists and is reproducible in Windows 10.

bug with thumbnail of folders 4arDG.png

It appears to be a bug in the thumbnail code for Windows. I've used IconExtract to review the icons in notepad.exe and don't see any problem within them.

bug with thumbnail of folders kuDfJ.png

The code that renders the thumbnail inside the folder image appears to have a bug.

I'm not sure what other answer to provide.

I would recommend submitting the details of this bug through the Microsoft Feedback Hub.

Steps to reproduce:

• Create a test folder
    • Within the test folder, create another folder the folder.
    • Within the folder folder, right-click and create a New Text Document.
    • Give the new file a name and change the file extension of the New Text Document to a random extension. I used new text document.srt.
    • Try to open the new text document.srt file you created and Windows will prompt for which program to open it with. Choose to always open with Notepad.exe.
    • Change your folder view to Large, or Extra Large icons. Observe that the new text document.srt file displays the notepad thumbnail properly.
    • Navigate up to the test folder and change your view to Large, or Extra Large icons. Observe that the notepad thumbnail is not displayed properly for the folder thumbnail.

Appleoddity, Jan 31, 2021
  4. bug with thumbnail of folders

Windows 10 showing device icons instead of thumbnails in folders

Hi me15prg9926,

There's a possibility that some folder settings may have changed. It could be set to show icons and not thumbnails. To verify that, please follow the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer.
    • Click the View tab.
    • On the upper-right corner, click Options.
    • On the Folder Options, click the View tab.
    • Under Files and Folders, uncheck Always show icons, never thumbnails.
    • Click Apply, then OK.

Once done, try checking if the folder icons are already showing thumbnails.

Update us with the result.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jan 31, 2021
Thema:

bug with thumbnail of folders

1. bug with thumbnail of folders - Similar Threads - bug thumbnail folders

2. Thumbnails in folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thumbnails in folders.: I have got a new laptop and it wont display thumbs on folders. I have unchecked/checked the boxes in view and performance, been on this and other forums, and done everything suggested, to no avail.Is there a way to repair/troubleshoot file explorer, other than a complete...
  3. Thumbnails in folders.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thumbnails in folders.: I have got a new laptop and it wont display thumbs on folders. I have unchecked/checked the boxes in view and performance, been on this and other forums, and done everything suggested, to no avail.Is there a way to repair/troubleshoot file explorer, other than a complete...
  4. Video Folder Thumbnails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video Folder Thumbnails: When I upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10 Home, I lost my thumbnail images in my video folder, Instead of the thumbnail an image of the media player logo is displayed in all video folders for all videos. How can this be changed?...
  5. Video Folder Thumbnails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video Folder Thumbnails: When I upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10 Home, I lost my thumbnail images in my video folder, Instead of the thumbnail an image of the media player logo is displayed in all video folders for all videos. How can this be changed?...
  6. Update Folder Thumbnails

in Windows 10 Support
    Update Folder Thumbnails: When I load pictures in from my camera, Windows nicely produces nice large previews thumbnails of the images when I look at the folder. The problem I have is when I delete the images off my camera and then go take some new photos, the camera names the new pictures the same as...
  7. Folder or image Thumbnails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder or image Thumbnails: Hi there, I want always to show icons and folders in tumbnail. Examples: Cntrol+shift+2 I press again and again. So I want always to show thumbnail type content in all folders. Thanks All COR Designer...
  8. Folder thumbnails on taskbar?

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder thumbnails on taskbar?: Have File Explorer folders always been displayed like this? So that the full names cannot be identified when their current width is narrow? [img] Terry, East Grinstead, UK 135755
  9. Folder Thumbnails not loading

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Thumbnails not loading: So my folder thumbnails dont load and i see this instead of some of the pictures that are in the folder i see this [ATTACH] i did disk cleanup for thumbnails restarted my pc and then i could see the thumbnails in This Pc > Pictures but the subfolders still dont load but...
  10. Folder thumbnails not working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder thumbnails not working.: As I am creating new folders and dragging files into it the folder is not creating a thumbnail preview. Is my thumbnail cache corrupt? Would like to apply the right fix rather than an unnecessary one or one that makes things worse... [img] 97934