Windows 10: (buid 9926) creating an image backup

Discus and support (buid 9926) creating an image backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Coming directly from win-7 to win-10 preview, it took longer to locate the "image backup" option in windows 10 than it did to make the image. Cortana... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by RFV, Jan 26, 2015.

1. RFV
    RFV Win User

(buid 9926) creating an image backup

Coming directly from win-7 to win-10 preview, it took longer to locate the "image backup" option in windows 10 than it did to make the image. Cortana searches didn't help, "system image", "disc image", "image backup" yielded nothing, eventually found it by accident buried under "file history" which probably everyone but me already knew. Having said that it was very fast at creating a win-10 image in under 2 mins, then restoring from it in under 2 mins.

:)

2. microsoft solitaire collection high cpu

Does this answer your question as to whether or not this is unique to the solitaire collection?

(buid 9926) creating an image backup [​IMG]

AlreadyFrustratedWith8, Jan 26, 2015
  3. creating system image backup

To resolve your concern, we suggest that you deactivate one of the active partitions first before performing the image backup. You can check the steps to deactivate the partition on this link:

How to deactivate an active partition?

We strongly recommend that you perform a full backup before doing this procedure.

Let us know how it goes.

Loraine Mon, Jan 26, 2015
  4. badrobot Win User

yes, it's been there since Win 8. *Smile

But it's always better to create an image back-up that you can use if windows won't boot up at all. The free Macrium and Acronis are some of the good ones.

cheers!

badrobot, Jan 26, 2015
  5. RFV
    RFV Win User
    cheers mate, I stuck the image on a USB stick and it boots off that.

6. badrobot Win User
    Isn't that the recovery media?

badrobot, Jan 26, 2015
  7. RFV
    RFV Win User
    yes it was a recovery, system image backup created a folder on a separate hd, then I booted the win-10 preview, went into repair, selected restore from image, and it finds that folder, probably explained it wrong

8. (buid 9926) creating an image backup

Someone is missing something!

When you do a backup, from within Windows, what do you do when the main HD crashes and cannot boot up the PC or even be accessed?

Having set up backup systems for Corporations, Banks, business offices and Home Computers, for the past 30+ years, I've developed some simple rules.
    1. Make a full C: drive backup at least once a week.
    2. The Backup/Restore program must be on some removable media, capable of booting the system and running the Backup/Restore program.
    3. The backup image file must NOT be on the main hard drive, but should be on an external media, either an external Hard Drive or DVD's.

If your Backup scenario does not meet these three simple rules, maybe you should re-think your backup strategy.

This can easily be done, with Acronis True Image, Macrium Reflect, Todo Backup or Ghost.
    I never trust Windows to back up Windows. That's too much like the fox guarding the hen-house.

I still use Ghost 11.5, the last DOS based version, which I run from a Bootable CD or Flash Drive.
    It backs up every OS from Win-98 to Win-10 and even Linux, or so I've been told. (I don't use Linux)

I've already backed up my install of Win-10, just in case.......

By posting this, It's my hope that this will help someone, somewhere, someday, to do safe backups. Eh?

*Cool

TechnoMage, Jan 27, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Absolutely -- +1 Rep here

I don't think people should even be allowed to use a computer until they've shown they can take an OS Image backup and do a "Bare metal restore" - restore from an external device.

In the most direst of cases I can even use the old Linux DD command from a Linux live distro but things like Acronis / free macrium make the job simple.

BTW don't rely too heavily on past GHOST releases -- newer file systems and UEFI / GPT partitions might cause problems.
    Linux just treats the file systems as DATA so a sector by sector copy should always work even if it does take longer. Acronis is my current method but Macrium works OK too and I think there are others around.

Don't rely on the Windows system for backup.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 27, 2015
  10. badrobot Win User
    +1 too..

I think I covered it on post #2 but thanks for elaborating TM.

badrobot, Jan 27, 2015
  11. RFV
    RFV Win User
    I think I covered it on post #2 but thanks for elaborating TM.[/QUOTE]

... indeed you did, and many thanks to all who replied with advice, I'm downloading Macrium free edition at the moment

Thema:

1. (buid 9926) creating an image backup - Similar Threads - buid 9926 creating

2. Create A System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create A System Image Backup: I'm trying to create a system image backup of my Windows 10 machine in case something goes wrong with one of its components, and unfortunately it says "Backup failed. Not enough disk space.". This is despite the fact that my external hard drive has 2.34 TB of free disk space,...
  3. Create A System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create A System Image Backup: I'm trying to create a system image backup of my Windows 10 machine in case something goes wrong with one of its components, and unfortunately it says "Backup failed. Not enough disk space.". This is despite the fact that my external hard drive has 2.34 TB of free disk space,...
  4. Create A System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Create a backup system image

Create a backup system image: Having a real issue with creating a backup system image on my wife's laptop.The last one was created January 23, 2022 with no problems but we have tried about five times and it completes to about 97% and then stalls. Looking at it, the backup is shown as still working but we...
  6. Create a backup system image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create a backup system image: Having a real issue with creating a backup system image on my wife's laptop.The last one was created January 23, 2022 with no problems but we have tried about five times and it completes to about 97% and then stalls. Looking at it, the backup is shown as still working but we...
  7. Create a backup system image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Create a Backup Image 101

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Create a Backup Image 101: Greetings, My wifey has a laptop that was set up a very specific way to work with a very specific printer. We had to pay a guy over a hundred clams to make it work this way and (call me paranoid) but I think he made a point of not letting me see how he did it so that he...
  9. Create a Backup Image 101

in Windows 10 Support
    Create a Backup Image 101: Greetings, My wifey has a laptop that was set up a very specific way to work with a very specific printer. We had to pay a guy over a hundred clams to make it work this way and (call me paranoid) but I think he made a point of not letting me see how he did it so that he...
  10. Issue Creating Image Backups

Issue Creating Image Backups: I usually make an image backup after each Windows update. After the last update I'm unable to create one. Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/issue-creating-image-backups/da5a106b-1661-4cf1-aec0-3e4a41576951