Windows 10: Build 10162, new install: only 1 of 3 monitors work & 2 Win 10 images

Discus and support Build 10162, new install: only 1 of 3 monitors work & 2 Win 10 images in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just installed 10162. First try aborted - I was trying to use WiFi and it just didn't play nice, so I finally aborted. I started over with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by websquad, Jul 7, 2015.

1. websquad Win User

Build 10162, new install: only 1 of 3 monitors work & 2 Win 10 images

I just installed 10162. First try aborted - I was trying to use WiFi and it just didn't play nice, so I finally aborted.

I started over with Ethernet hard-wired in, and it completely installed. But there are two known problems:

• I was running all three monitors (see my system config) with the last four or five releases without problems, with all desktops "extended" on all three devices. Now I just have physical device "1"
    • I had to abort my first attempt to load Build 10162. I didn't wipe the hard disk after the failed attempt, so that left a partition with Win 10 partially installed. What is the best way to get rid of that partition? I'll also need to get rid of whatever is in the Boot record so it will not prompt me for the proper version of Windows 10.
    Any ideas?

:)

websquad, Jul 7, 2015

2. Windows 10 Creators Update - no signal on second monitor

I have essentially the same problem following a Win-10 update. I am running dual monitors with a dual DVI card, on bootup both monitors correctly display the boot sequence & the blue for-quadrant "window" logo, but as Win-10 initializes the second monitor
    goes to "no video". Turning the monitor on & off has no effect; the only workarounds I have discovered are to (1) do a system restart, which usually works, or (2) unplug and re-plug the DVI cable, which always works, or (3) bring up "Display" on the working
    #1 monitor, select #2 monitor and click "Show only on 2", at which point #2 comes back up and I can switch back to dual display.

None of the suggested "fixes" has any effect. Most annoying!

John-Wilson, Jul 7, 2015
  3. infopete Win User
    how do I do a Roll Forward after a Roll Back in windows 10?

I lost dual monitor support in the last update of Win 10 so I did a Roll Back and I've ended up on Build 10162.

10162 works fine but as a Visual Studio developer it is very annoying as each time I close down IE11 when debugging IE11 restarts thinking it is recovering from a crash. (I have ticked the right boxes in option too).

As soon as I Rolled back to 10162 Windows updated my ATI Radeon HD2400 driver again which resulted in the Dual monitor not working again. So I have had to revert to an earlier driver.

Now I know the monitor issue is with the latest ATI driver I want to move to the latest version of Windows 10 but I can't find a way in Settings to do this.

I've switched to "Fast" but no new updates have been found.

Any ideas?

infopete, Jul 7, 2015
  4. vijaykhai Win User

"What is the best way to get rid of that partition? "
    Couple of times I just DELETED the VOLUME and just to be safe FORMATted it - no problems to reinstall WIN X. Hope this works for you too.

vijaykhai, Jul 7, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    I don't believe a NVidia 8400GS is supported by the current Windows 10 drivers. Once they release an official Windows 10 driver, i'm sure that will be corrected.

Mystere, Jul 7, 2015
  6. websquad Win User
    Until this Build I've had no problem with the 8400GS. I have two monitors on it: one with a DVI interface and one with a HDMI interface (which I run through a converter plug). The motherboard has a standard VGA socket. So I plug the three monitors in these three plugs and, until the current release, it runs fine.

So, what I'm going to do is simply unplug all but the motherboard cable, do a clean load of the OS, and then search for drivers. As it is now, the system is hanging up whilst it is attempting to interface with the HDMI monitor socket.

I'll see how that works. Yikes!

ADDED: Change of plans -- I unplugged the two monitors driven by the 8400GS and am just using the motherboard video output. This may simplify things!

Latest Status -- The motherboard NVidia driver will not load under build 10162 -- so I'll wait. Yikes again!

websquad, Jul 7, 2015
  7. websquad Win User
    I found the following device driver and it seems to solve the problem:

320.49-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe

Now all three monitors are working. Hint: This is a NVidia monitor for the 8400 series PCI adapter, 256MB. It's not powerful, but then I don't do games.

Warning: The first time through I did a custom install and did not install any of the NVidia "3-D" options (knowing I didn't have 3-D monitors, and really wasn't interested). A few minutes after a reboot screens started flashing and the driver failed, leaving me with one screen (the motherboard's video port). So I rebooted and reinstalled, this time accepting all the options and defaults. It is working so far!

websquad, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Build 10162, new install: only 1 of 3 monitors work & 2 Win 10 images - Similar Threads - Build 10162 install

2. 3 Monitor Setup: Monitor 2&3 Are lagging when gaming on Monitor 1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3 Monitor Setup: Monitor 2&3 Are lagging when gaming on Monitor 1: Hi,I have Win 11 23H2 x64 running on:Ryzen 9 7900x3d, RTX 2080ti, 64gb DDR5 RamThe system operates on a 3 Monitor Setup all 144hz or higher.obviously i want to use my 3 monitors while gaming so I play on main monitor and additionally watch a stream or videos on second...
  3. 3 Monitor Setup: Monitor 2&3 Are lagging when gaming on Monitor 1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3 Monitor Setup: Monitor 2&3 Are lagging when gaming on Monitor 1: Hi,I have Win 11 23H2 x64 running on:Ryzen 9 7900x3d, RTX 2080ti, 64gb DDR5 RamThe system operates on a 3 Monitor Setup all 144hz or higher.obviously i want to use my 3 monitors while gaming so I play on main monitor and additionally watch a stream or videos on second...
  4. 3 Monitors are shown but only 2 are connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3 Monitors are shown but only 2 are connected: I downloaded cuda for my computer and now I see 3 monitors instead of 2 in the computer settings. When I move my mouse across the monitors to the third one I don't really have it dissapears and I have to drag it a lot back before it enters my actual monitors again.One of my...
  5. Win 10 only boots 1/3 of the time !

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 only boots 1/3 of the time !: Win10 Pro - Version 2004 (updated only a few days ago but the problem I describe started before the update) hello for a couple of weeks, about one third of the time win 10 does not boot on my PC which opens on the page to access the BIOS settings (does this page have a name...
  6. 3 monitor setups. Only 1 monitor fails to work for "Night Mode"

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    3 monitor setups. Only 1 monitor fails to work for "Night Mode": I have three monitors for my setup. Asus VG278 (main) Asus VG248 Asus VG245 I'm dual booting Windows 7 X64 and Windows 10 Pro X64 (Version 1909, OS Build 18363.592). But the problem only applies to Windows 10. I turn on the night mode on and night mode doesn't come on for...
  7. Mouse ghosting on 1 of 3 monitors only

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse ghosting on 1 of 3 monitors only: Hi, my mouse has just started having a shadow underneath it , it is only on one of my 3 monitors, i was trying to fix my bad text in the "adjust the appearance and performance of windows" tab. After this i noticed the mouse problem, i have been into the mouse advanced...
  8. Win 10 (latest) with 2 monitors, 1 cpu --

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10 (latest) with 2 monitors, 1 cpu --: "display" only offer shows one monitor no matter what. Used to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/win-10-latest-with-2-monitors-1-cpu/22442cc7-f5ff-40ad-b28b-6be67c2f37b7
  9. download & install Win 10 Build 10162, Activate Genuine for Life long

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    download & install Win 10 Build 10162, Activate Genuine for Life long: hi guys, I need your help, if I install windows 10 Pro 10162 and successfully Activate with the key Microsoft provided. 1-Is this Windows 10 Activated for ever LIFE LONG. 2-And if I format after 6 months my PC, and when I reinstall win 10 Pro on the same Genuine win 10...
  10. build 10162

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    build 10162: Where can I get this build from? I am on the fast ring; and i checked wu; but the update is not there for some reason. So where can i get it from(where its a official release?) 7802