Windows 10: Build 10240 hard disk spins down / sleeps in 20 seconds

Discus and support Build 10240 hard disk spins down / sleeps in 20 seconds in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I have an Asus q400a laptop that I have a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB in the primary SATA slot, and a mechanical HDD (HGST HTS541075A9E680) where... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Bendito, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Bendito Win User

Build 10240 hard disk spins down / sleeps in 20 seconds

Hello,
    I have an Asus q400a laptop that I have a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB in the primary SATA slot, and a mechanical HDD (HGST HTS541075A9E680) where the DVD drive used to be for data storage. After upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1, the mechanical hard drive spins down after less than 20 seconds of inactivity, despite power settings (which are set for 20 minutes). This causes excessive spinning up and down of the drive.

I have tried a program called nosleephd that writes to the drive to keep it active periodically, but it operates on a timescale of minutes, not seconds. It would have to write very often to keep it awake.
    edit: KeepAliveHD program allows seconds interval. This solves the symptoms, but I still feel there is an underlying problem.

Is there a way to make the hard drive heed the power settings timeout under the new driver scheme? Thanks.

:)

Bendito, Aug 6, 2015

2. Windows 10 ignores power settings for USB external hard drives

I have a seagate 2.5" 1TB USB 3.0 external drive, model NA423EPR, that will always spin down after only 3 minutes of inactivity on Windows 10. My previous computer had Windows 7, and on that OS, the same external hard drive would happily stay spinning 24/7,
    always.

This hard drive has its own internal setting for spinning down after inactivity. It was set to never, but using a special Seagate tool I changed it to 1 hour to see if that would make a difference. But it didn't. It still spins down after exactly 3 minutes.

I am already using the "High performance" power plan.

USB selective suspend setting is set to "Disabled".

Hard disk is set to "Turn off hard disk after: On battery: 30 minutes; Plugged in: 60 minutes".

And yet it STILL spins down after exactly 3 minutes.

The following is worth also mentioning: This laptop computer (an Acer VN7-791G) has an SSD for the OS and an internal 2.5" mechanical hard drive for other storage. I noticed that the internal mechanical drive was shutting itself off after merely 20 seconds
    of inactivity. The hard drive in question was a WD Blue 1TB WD10JPVX. I looked around and found tons of complaints about this hard drive model ignoring power settings and always shutting down after just 20 seconds. So what I did was, I opened the laptop and
    I replaced the hard drive with an older 2.5" 320GB drive, and this one actually stayed spinning as it should.

But, the seagate external drive still isn't staying on.

Also, I should mention that the seagate drive cannot be left idle on a USB 3.0 port, because it randomly disconnects/reconnects. It never does this when it's on a USB 2.0 port, or when it is actively being used on USB 3.0.

I also looked at the Power Management tab for all USB root hubs, to make sure that the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" was unchecked, and they all were unchecked already.

Can someone please explain this? If this continues I'm going to have to install a
    program that writes to my external seagate drive once every 2 minutes to keep it spinning, which is a ridiculous fix; but, if Microsoft will not help me, I'll have to do it...

So, how do we get started fixing this problem?

abcdefghjk, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Updating Windows (Ring is stuck at 40% )

What's your BIOS version? I'm updating to A12 now. It was on A11. I did a hard shut down after it froze at 40% and it went back to Windows 10 build 10240. Need more battery life before I can try installing form a USB disk next.

Adam Z Lein, Aug 6, 2015
Thema:

Build 10240 hard disk spins down / sleeps in 20 seconds

1. Build 10240 hard disk spins down / sleeps in 20 seconds - Similar Threads - Build 10240 hard

2. Windows 11 goes to sleep in 20 seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 goes to sleep in 20 seconds: Have a Lenovo Yoga that has had a consistent issue with automatically going to sleep w/in 20 seconds of last key stroke, unless playing a video. This sleep setting does not correspond with the Power Settings on the machine, and has become VERY annoying... any help would be...
  3. Windows 11 goes to sleep in 20 seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 goes to sleep in 20 seconds: Have a Lenovo Yoga that has had a consistent issue with automatically going to sleep w/in 20 seconds of last key stroke, unless playing a video. This sleep setting does not correspond with the Power Settings on the machine, and has become VERY annoying... any help would be...
  4. How to spin down hard disk permanently?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to spin down hard disk permanently?: I've used revospin,hdd scan and crystal disk info to spin it down. But it automatically spins up after some times. Any way to permanently spin down the hdd? (Hdd doesn't contain os. It's for storage) submitted by /u/pink_wiz [link] [comments]...
  5. Build 10240

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Build 10240: So basically im still on the build 10240 and tried updating my computer, i got the error code 0x80240fff and tried updating it with the update assistant that i could download, but that didnt work and was told to restart my pc and try again did that and it still didnt work.....
  6. sound blaster on build 10240

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sound blaster on build 10240: I cannot get my surround 5.1 audio to work with this most recent build of 10240; and i cannot get into the enhancements that are supposed to be available for my card which is the x-fi titanium pci express sound card from creative. Is there any way to resolve this or do I just...
  7. How to spin down some hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to spin down some hard drives: I have 1 SSD and 4 HDD, out of that I'm mainly using my SSD and 1 HDD, the rest are just making noise. How can I spin only those 3 down, without having to reset my PC each time I want to use them (device manager method) or spinning down the 4th one (power settings method)?...
  8. HDD spinning down/clicking every 30 seconds

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    HDD spinning down/clicking every 30 seconds: Hi there, first-time poster here. Usually I'm one to exhaust every single possibility before asking for help, but as of right now I am rather desperate to find an answer because this issue is driving me MAD. As stated in the title, my second HDD (Samsung HD155UI, 1,5 TB)...
  9. Auto Login build 10240

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Auto Login build 10240: HI, Dose any one know how to activate auto login netplwiz dose not work. 8390
  10. Problems with Build 10240

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Build 10240: So far, I have no sound and Cortana is not working when I speak to her. Any solutions and fixed? 8367