Windows 10: Build 1511 wouldn't boot following Windows Updates

Discus and support Build 1511 wouldn't boot following Windows Updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, I've solved the immediate problem, but am posting here in the hopes that someone may be able to confirm my theory as to why this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TJLewis, Jul 2, 2019.

1. TJLewis Win User

Build 1511 wouldn't boot following Windows Updates

Hello Everyone,

I've solved the immediate problem, but am posting here in the hopes that someone may be able to confirm my theory as to why this problem occured... and possibly to further my own understanding.

Firstly, a bit of background, so you're not lost at the start:

My auntie has an Acer Aspire ES1-512-C5YW laptop, that was origionally a Windows 8 machine, but she took the free upgrade offer to Windows 10. She brought the laptop to me with concerns as performance had dropped right off and there was an issue with the Internet Security software.

When I first saw the laptop, it was running build 1511 of Windows 10 (64 Bits). The laptop has 4 GB RAM, a 500 GB Hard Drive (I am unable to say if it is SSD or mechanical) and an Intel Celeron Processor that runs at 1.8 GHz.

The facts of the problem, as best I recall, follow:

Performance had indeed dropped right out (unresponsive to clicks, simple programs (e.g. mspaint.exe) taking 1 minute plus to load, etc.) I eventually found that the laptop had about 30 Windows updates that were in the process of trying to install. Most of these appeared to be security updates, but there were a couple of Office 2007 updates and a Serial IO (which I later found out has something to do with the laptop's touchpad) driver update.

After a wait of about 1 hour and 25 minutes, the install process completed and I clicked on the Restart button. There was then a very long wait (I regret that I did not think to look at the time to determine how long, but must have been at least 45 minutes) before the laptop eventually restarted, but Windows failed to reboot. We were stuck at the Acer logo on a black screen with the spinning white dot circle, with no progress beyond that (We left it at that point for an hour, just to be sure).

I could not get the laptop to display advanced startup options, so tried that time honoured technique of restarting the laptop three times to force Automatic Repair. That did get the laptop to show the Starting Automatic Repair message, but Automatic Repair did not start.

This is how I solved it:

Fortunately, the laptop would boot my Linux Mint Live DVD, so I was able to use that to access the laptop's hard drive and back up my Auntie's documents to an SD card and download drivers for the laptop from Acer's website.

I then set to work with an installation DVD I created previously with Build 1903 of WIndows 10 on it to wipe the laptop's hard drive, reinstall Windows, the drivers I downloaded, some software for her to do work and restored her documents. I then left the laptop to perform the needed Windows Updates (which this time worked perfectly) and put some Internet Security software on.

So the good news is the laptop is now working.

This is my working theory of what went wrong:

Something in the Windows Update processes corrupted something in the Boot Sector and / or Windows portion of the laptop's hard drive, causing it to fail to boot. But because I do not have a created DVD for build 1511, I did not want to try to use my build 1903 DVD to repair the laptop.

So, what I wanted to ask was:

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen and knows for certain that a Windows Update was the cause? Also, now that the laptop has a build of Windows 10 for which I DO have an installation DVD, would I be safe to use that to try to do a startup repair if anything like this happens to my Auntie again (since she does not really have much knowledge of what to do when things like this happen)?

Any thoughts anyone can give me would be greatly appriciated, and I sincerely apologise for the lengthy post (and it's somewhat vauge nature).

Thanks.

:)

TJLewis, Jul 2, 2019

2. Now wouldn´t that b a cool feature...

Hi,

I just read an article in the new Linux magazine on the use of Ramdisks. Using those as a file system can drastically speed up read and write performance. That would be a cool feature to build in the OS of mobile phones that hold a memory card anyway, wouldn´t
    it. Then saving a large Excel sheet wouldn´t take ages as it does now (on my E61 anyway), but just a few seconds...

Regards,

hendikoischnur, Jul 2, 2019
  3. ceztko Win User
    Windows 10 Pro doesn't show update 1511 (build 10586)

I have Windows 10 Pro and it doesn't show the update 1511. I've followed all the steps commonly advised:

• I ensured "Defer Upgrades" is not enabled in Windows Settings (Settings -> Update & security -> Windows Update -> Advanced options) or Local Group Policy (Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> Defer Upgrades and Updates);
    • I've updated from Windows 8.1 but it has passed more than 31 days since;
    • I haven't installed 1511 update previously.

What else can I do to make Windows Update to show it, without installing the update from the ISO manually?

ceztko, Jul 2, 2019
  4. Riprock45 Win User

What is the difference between build 1511, and the initial build (July 2015)?

Thanks very much for your detailed reply, Andrea.

I have tried a couple of different configurations but the re-install still hangs. I'll follow some more of your suggestions, and try again later, when I've finished doing actual work on my computer.

I'm fairly computer savvy (I build my own), and my comp is running well. I'm just bemused about the build numbers.

I have build 10240, and windows update insists everything is up to date. I do NOT have build 1511 (10586).

Checking windows update history on the support website leads me to this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

There are two lists, one for 1511, and one for Windows Initial, which is what I have. Why are there two different lists, and what is the difference between them?

Thanks again,

Rip

Riprock45, Jul 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Build 1511 wouldn't boot following Windows Updates - Similar Threads - Build 1511 wouldn't

2. Windows updates wouldn't install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows updates wouldn't install: Updates will not install on my Surface using windows update service and Surface Diagnostic toolkit.Surface Laptop 3Surface Diagnostic toolkit MESSAGE: "There was a problem so the Windows updates for your Surface weren't installed. We couldn't install Windows updates....
  3. Windows 10 1511 to build 1909

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1511 to build 1909: Is it possible to go from build 1511 to Build 1909? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-1511-to-build-1909/0375d3dd-cbac-402e-bb31-48d983760c48
  4. Windows 10 wouldn't update

Windows 10 wouldn't update: Windows 10 would not update. Now I'm stuck on attempting to recover installation and doing changes to your computer for five hours. I cannot get to safe mode. I tried windows are it won't do anything help!...
  5. Windows 10 Reset Following crash - Wouldn't reboot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Reset Following crash - Wouldn't reboot: This morning, I was working and then my Laptop crashed, full on dead. When i finally got it to reboot, i kept getting error messages after it was trying to Diagnose the system and my options were to keep restarting (which I did about 10 times) and getting the same error...
  6. Windows 10 build 1511 10568.3

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 build 1511 10568.3: Hi,i have a question about latest windows 10 updates interface colors,is it possible to change them? the black color looks horrible on them,prevorious build looked much better,thats my opinion. what i want change is these two interface background colors: [img] [img] is it...
  7. Trouble updating to build 1511 through WSUS

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Trouble updating to build 1511 through WSUS: I would like to update my Windows 10 computers to the latest 1511 (10586) build using Windows Update. I have approved the update in WSUS for all groups and it is also showing as "ready for installation. But none of pc's are seeing the update. WSUS is also showing Needed=0....
  8. Windows 10 build 1511 NOT SOLVED!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 build 1511 NOT SOLVED!: Hello, I am having issues with getting the latest build of windows 10.My current build is 10240 and I want to upgrade to version 1511.My windows version is Enterprise 64-bit.I have tried manually updating,turning off my firewall and using windows media creation tool(says...
  9. Windows 10 Build 1511, 10586 update version fail

Windows 10 Build 1511, 10586 update version fail: Fails to Upgrade to Windows 10 v.1511, 10586 Firstly, I have bought a Laptop which including Windows 10 OEM from factory then I add SSD and Clone HHD which have a licence (all of disk to SSD). After that, I have been trying to up version to be 10586, during updating...
  10. Update KB4013198 for Windows 10 Version 1511 build 10586.839

in Windows 10 News
    Update KB4013198 for Windows 10 Version 1511 build 10586.839: March 14, 2017—KB4013198 (OS Build 10586.839) Improvements and fixes This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include: Addressed known issue called out in KB3210721. Users may...