Windows 10: Building a NAS rig

Discus and support Building a NAS rig in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I'm thinking about building a NAS rig. Not so much worried hardware, and in fact have a complete i7-950 system with12 gig of RAM just sitting in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sygnus21, Mar 12, 2019.

1. sygnus21 Win User

Building a NAS rig

Hi,

I'm thinking about building a NAS rig. Not so much worried hardware, and in fact have a complete i7-950 system with12 gig of RAM just sitting in my closet looking for something to do.

What I'm curious about is the software side? I ran across a free software called FreeNAS and wondering if anyone has any experience with it or any other NAS software I should look at.

Suggestions/Thoughts?

Thanks

:)

sygnus21, Mar 12, 2019
  2. Hockster Win User

NAS build

Finalized my parts list and will be building the rig today. Looking forward to experimenting with FreeNAS.

Hockster, Mar 12, 2019
  3. RevengE Win User
    Building a LAN rig

well guys I want to build a rig just for LANS I want it to be nvidia seeing that I'm an amd/ati guy I want to switch it up a bit I just want it to be a midrange system nothing too expensive any suggestions or full lists that you come up with would be awesome!

RevengE, Mar 12, 2019
  4. GSG-9 Win User

Building a NAS rig

Buy/Build a NAS

I am looking to build or a buy nas.
    I am looking at the Synology DS413/DS1513+.

Things I absolutely want out of my nas:
    • Synology Hybrid Raid (SHR) equivalent functionality.
      IE, mixing of drive sizes, and ability to expand SHR array after it is built.
    • Device works as a drive via USB 3.0.
    • Read speeds at or over 200 mb/s over usb 3.0
    Is there an Linux distro, or other OS I can use to whitebox a nas with the above features?
    I have enough parts sitting around to build a nas, but I want the advantages of SHR.

Thanks for any NAS software knowledge in advance.

GSG-9, Mar 12, 2019
Thema:

Building a NAS rig

1. Building a NAS rig - Similar Threads - Building NAS rig

2. Microsoft Solitaire is rigged and based

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Solitaire is rigged and based: The game is literally rigged and developed using RNG no where even close to solvable. May as well make all of the levels random since they are anyways. **** company tbh...
  3. Microsoft Solitaire is rigged and based

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Solitaire is rigged and based: The game is literally rigged and developed using RNG no where even close to solvable. May as well make all of the levels random since they are anyways. **** company tbh...
  4. Mining Rig screen freezes and stays frozen until I restart the rig manually

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mining Rig screen freezes and stays frozen until I restart the rig manually: Like the title says, the Mining rig doesn't crash, doesn't give me a BSOD. it only freezes on the same frame it was inI've searched for the problem in event viewer and found this:"The previous system shutdown at 1:38:48 PM on ‎1/‎16/‎2022 was unexpected.Source:...
  5. Building a server or get a NAS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Building a server or get a NAS: I'd like to build a server or NAS. I think I need a server. I am VERY much a newb when it comes to Linux. I'd like to stick with Windows unless someone can point me to some real clear YT links or something. It is for a home business with 3 PCs accessing it. I will need to...
  6. Building a server or get a NAS

in Windows 10 Support
    Building a server or get a NAS: I'd like to build a server or NAS. I think I need a server. I am VERY much a newb when it comes to Linux. I'd like to stick with Windows unless someone can point me to some real clear YT links or something. It is for a home business with 3 PCs accessing it. I will need to...
  7. NAS

NAS: I cannot see my NAS in Explorer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nas/61bf29dd-4224-4d34-8e56-2447a9ea2143
  8. Unable to log on to NAS after build 1903 update

Unable to log on to NAS after build 1903 update: Hi, I'm wasn't able to log onto my NAS after I did an update on Windows 10 Build 1903. When the popup window for login to the NAs shows up, I keyed in my userid and password, it will show something like the logon has terminated. I did a clean reset of Win10 and I'm able to...
  9. Help me build a damaged RIG !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help me build a damaged RIG !: So guys i need help of you all pros to keep my GaminG DreamS AlivE ! I am currently having this RIG in which my motherboard is dead ..... i need suggestions of you all to modify my current RIG so that i can play basic current games like CS:GO : Current Rig: AMD FX 6100...
  10. Building a Windows NAS server -- file system problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Building a Windows NAS server -- file system problem: Hi there My friend wants me to set up a NAS server for him - but wants to use WINDOWS -- strange choice but it's doable and I suppose it will be less hassle to keep fixing Windows than allowing him to hose up a Linux system if he's never used Linux before. Hardware is...