Windows 10: Building custom PE USB drive

Discus and support Building custom PE USB drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Noob question. Im building Aomei PE boot usb drive to safely recover my computer if or when needed. I need to add a driver file to this build ,being my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Oldhead, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Oldhead Win User

Building custom PE USB drive

Noob question.
    Im building Aomei PE boot usb drive to safely recover my computer if or when needed.
    I need to add a driver file to this build ,being my wireless keyboard and mouse as the std Aomei ver2 PE builder does not automatically add wireless devices drivers.
    Where do i find this file , i have looked (windows\system32\driver store\repository) but uncertain which file to add to builder. Im led to believe its an (inf) file
    Cheers in advance guys.

:)

Oldhead, Feb 9, 2021
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Feb 9, 2021
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Feb 9, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

computer not recognizing usb drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to use USB drive on your computer. I’ll certainly assist you with this.

However, please let us know:

• Do you receive any error when connecting a USB drive?
    • Does this issue occur only with one particular USB or with all the USB drives?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer prior to this issue?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? To check type
      winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit
      Enter.
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article

Error: “USB Device not recognized”
    except for Method 1 and 2.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 9, 2021
Thema:

1. Building custom PE USB drive - Similar Threads - Building custom USB

2. Boot from rescue media Windows PE on USB drive if system drive has failed?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot from rescue media Windows PE on USB drive if system drive has failed?: This is probably a dumb question, but...can you boot a PC from rescue media on a USB drive Windows PE if the main system drive has totally failed i.e. hardware failure? I wasn't sure if the boot menu is on the system drive or in the BIOS.Also, can you use an external USB HDD...
  3. Boot from rescue media Windows PE on USB drive if system drive has failed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot from rescue media Windows PE on USB drive if system drive has failed?: This is probably a dumb question, but...can you boot a PC from rescue media on a USB drive Windows PE if the main system drive has totally failed i.e. hardware failure? I wasn't sure if the boot menu is on the system drive or in the BIOS.Also, can you use an external USB HDD...
  4. Boot from rescue media Windows PE on USB drive if system drive has failed?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. TPM 2 on custom build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TPM 2 on custom build: I have a custom build with an ASUS motherboard and an Intel I7 cpu. How do I enable TPM 2, And don't post a link to the article...it is clear as mud. And it just BEGS the question of just WHY Microsoft had to add another layer of complexity to the process. Why the hell isn't...
  6. TPM 2 on custom build

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TPM 2 on custom build: I have a custom build with an ASUS motherboard and an Intel I7 cpu. How do I enable TPM 2, And don't post a link to the article...it is clear as mud. And it just BEGS the question of just WHY Microsoft had to add another layer of complexity to the process. Why the hell isn't...
  7. Custom usb drive icon not appearing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom usb drive icon not appearing: hello all I'm trying to make my usb drive icon reappear using an "autorun.inf" file. this is what my file contains : [AutoRun] Icon=Omid.ico Label=Omid and it is copied to the flash drive as well as the icon file. the name of the icon is exactly as written above. so what is...
  8. BSOD on custom build

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on custom build: Hello, Ever since yesterday in mid afternoon, my computer will not load Resolume despite it working most of the day prior. Each time I run the program, it shuts down before it can even open fully. The system says that an error has occurred and that Windows will update me...
  9. Build USB Stick with Custom Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Build USB Stick with Custom Windows 10: Hey, can anybody help me? I would create a USB Stick (bootable) with a Customized Windows 10 Image. The customized windows 10 image is running in Virtual Box and i search a solution to capture this windows 10 image. I have tried the solution from kari (Windows 10...
  10. IBM warns of malware on USB drives shipped to customers

in Windows 10 News
    IBM warns of malware on USB drives shipped to customers: IBM has urged customers to destroy USB drives which shipped with some of its Storewize storage systems because they may contain malware. In a support advisory, the company has said an unspecified number of USB flash drives containing the Storewize initialisation tool for...