Windows 10: Building new computer, do I need to purchase a licence?

Discus and support Building new computer, do I need to purchase a licence? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello all, I am intending to build a new computer from scratch and I need to be sure if I need to purchase a new licence or not. I originally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by David.M.P.Bevan, May 10, 2019.

1. Building new computer, do I need to purchase a licence?

Hello all,

I am intending to build a new computer from scratch and I need to be sure if I need to purchase a new licence or not.

I originally purchased Windows 7 (retail), then upgraded to Windows 8 Pro and finally upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. Is my current licence transferable to the new machine when it is ready.

This may be a simple question but I find it rather difficult to keep up with the rules.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Martyn

:)

David.M.P.Bevan, May 10, 2019
  2. Lead3 Win User

Building a new computer

If the Windows 8.1 came with a purchased computer rather than purchased separately (a retail version), then no it is not transferable to a new computer. It is tied to the computer it came with and so is the Windows 10 upgrade.

You must purchase a new Windows 10 licence.

Lead3, May 10, 2019
  3. is it possible to hand build a motherboard?

Might I suggest you simply build a computer, making notes and taking pictures step by step. Most people (probably including your teacher) have no idea even where to start building a computer. You'll do fine, and if you get stuck we're here to help ya out! *Toast :toast:

thoughtdisorder, May 10, 2019
  4. Building new computer, do I need to purchase a licence?

BarbaricSoul, May 10, 2019
Thema:

Building new computer, do I need to purchase a licence?

1. Building new computer, do I need to purchase a licence? - Similar Threads - Building computer need

2. I want to purchase the digital licence

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to purchase the digital licence: Hello Team,when i search the digital licence for windows 10 i found many website providing digital licenec. I want to know those are verified vendors or not ? I want to purchased for 5-6 laptop can you please suggest me...
  3. Transfer of licence to a new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer of licence to a new computer: Hi,I have recently bought a new PC and would like to transfer my windows licence from the old to the new. I thought I could delink the licence from my old computer in my microsoft account, but the only device I can see is my partner's. I checked on mine and it says in the...
  4. Transfer of licence to a new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer of licence to a new computer: Hi,I have recently bought a new PC and would like to transfer my windows licence from the old to the new. I thought I could delink the licence from my old computer in my microsoft account, but the only device I can see is my partner's. I checked on mine and it says in the...
  5. Transfer of licence to a new computer

6. New motherboard - Do I need a new win10 licence?

New motherboard - Do I need a new win10 licence?: Hello all, very recently, my computer slurped up a malware and I had to wipe the hard drives and reinstall windows. On a whim, I decided to upgrade from win 7 to win 10 pro, so I bought a licence. At the same time I got a "great" idea of upgrading most of the PC hardware, so...
  7. Licence key on new build

Licence key on new build: Apologies for probably what is an obvious answer. I am thinking about building a new PC but with most cases these do not come with a dvd drive. If I download and create a bootable version of Windows is it then a case of just buying a version of Windows on disc and using...
  8. Do I need to purchase a new version to install on a new pc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need to purchase a new version to install on a new pc?: We are building a PC. Do I need to purchase new windows software to install on the PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-need-to-purchase-a-new-version-to-install-on/9bfd47d8-94f5-4bab-ba68-4caff5dd767d
  9. purchase licence

purchase licence: I have been running a win 10 Enterprise and it says it will soon expire. I do not want to do a reinstall because of software Im have on this computer. Can I purchase a licennce and activate this Win10 I am running?I can't find the proper place to purchace the licence...
  10. Just purchased new computer..need 2010 office software downloaded that I purchased

Just purchased new computer..need 2010 office software downloaded that I purchased: I purchased office Microsoft office for the 2010 works,, included outlook, word, and excel, I have windows 10, that was windows 7..can I get a upgrade and a download for the new computer without paying the new price, which does not include outlook. thank you...