Windows 10: Building new PC using old SSD, do i need to reinstall windows?

Discus and support Building new PC using old SSD, do i need to reinstall windows? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Questions pretty much says it all. Upgrading my PC with a new CPU, GPU, and motherboard, but plan to use my old SSD and harddrive. The SSD has windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by John Brune, Jun 20, 2024.

1. Building new PC using old SSD, do i need to reinstall windows?

Questions pretty much says it all. Upgrading my PC with a new CPU, GPU, and motherboard, but plan to use my old SSD and harddrive. The SSD has windows 10 installed, would i need to reinstall it, or am I fine to just plug and chug with the old SSD.

:)

John Brune, Jun 20, 2024
  2. Enoch Loy Win User

Connected old SSD (with windows) to new PC build

I recently bought a brand new PC, and thought it would be good to add my old SSD to it.

When the system booted up for the first time, it somehow reverted back to the old windows (files were exactly where they were etc, with windows still in the old drive).

I would like to ask a few questions

1) Is there any performance issues in leaving the system like that? (I.e. attaching a old SSD with preinstalled windows to a entirely new PC build). I would like to install it the correct way instead.

2) How to do install windows from scratch on the new NVME SSD now that i already have windows installed?

Thanks and would appreciate an answer.

Enoch Loy, Jun 20, 2024
  3. New ssd won't boot up without old ssd attached to pc - new ssd only has one partition

Hi Igor,

Thank you for looking into my problem.
    I'm sorry, here you go:

Building new PC using old SSD, do i need to reinstall windows? 1a1ce383-37da-4cb7-befb-7ee3e4bc0fe2?upload=true.png

Sadly the new ssd doesn't show up as a boot option in the boot order in BIOS, the only boot options are old ssd with the MBR partition (and bootable usb when plugged in). The new ssd is listed as a coupled device though, but not listed as a boot-option.

I did try the Repair (not install) option using the bootable usb (while the old ssd is removed, new ssd is still plugged in) but Windows notified that the repair procedure couldn't fix the problem.

Is there a way to get a 2nd partition on the new ssd, destined for booting it (just like the old ssd has)? (without formatting the new ssd and doing a clean reinstall of windows)

Kind regards,

Marnix

Marnix Houthuys, Jun 20, 2024
  4. Building new PC using old SSD, do i need to reinstall windows?

New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, Jun 20, 2024
Thema:

Building new PC using old SSD, do i need to reinstall windows?

1. Building new PC using old SSD, do i need to reinstall windows? - Similar Threads - Building using old

2. Stuttering in new PC build and old PC build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuttering in new PC build and old PC build: Hello, this is my first post here mainly because I'm hella desperate to find a solution. I have a B650I MSI Edge motherboard, a Ryzen 7700x, a NVIDIA factory 3080, SF750W EVGA Gold Power supply, Ripjaw 32 GB 6000MHz, and a Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB.I have tried:Enabling...
  3. Building new PC using old SSD, do i need to reinstall windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Building new PC using old SSD, do i need to reinstall windows?: Questions pretty much says it all. Upgrading my PC with a new CPU, GPU, and motherboard, but plan to use my old SSD and harddrive. The SSD has windows 10 installed, would i need to reinstall it, or am I fine to just plug and chug with the old SSD....
  4. Building new PC using old SSD, do i need to reinstall windows?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Building new PC using old SSD, do i need to reinstall windows?: Questions pretty much says it all. Upgrading my PC with a new CPU, GPU, and motherboard, but plan to use my old SSD and harddrive. The SSD has windows 10 installed, would i need to reinstall it, or am I fine to just plug and chug with the old SSD....
  5. Do I need to reinstall windows 10 on new build

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Do I need to reinstall windows 10 on new build: I going to upgrade from am4 to am5 sockets. I have a new motherboard, cpu, and ram. Can I simply just plug in my m.2 ssd that already has windows 10 and all my data, to my new build and boot it up. Will window 10 recognize the new parts and troubleshoot and fix the problem...
  6. Do I need to reinstall windows 10 on new build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need to reinstall windows 10 on new build: I going to upgrade from am4 to am5 sockets. I have a new motherboard, cpu, and ram. Can I simply just plug in my m.2 ssd that already has windows 10 and all my data, to my new build and boot it up. Will window 10 recognize the new parts and troubleshoot and fix the problem...
  7. Do I need to reinstall windows 10 on new build

8. Connected old SSD with windows to new PC build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connected old SSD with windows to new PC build: I recently bought a brand new PC, and thought it would be good to add my old SSD to it. When the system booted up for the first time, it somehow reverted back to the old windows files were exactly where they were etc, with windows still in the old drive.I would like to ask a...
  9. Connected old SSD with windows to new PC build

Connected old SSD with windows to new PC build: I recently bought a brand new PC, and thought it would be good to add my old SSD to it. When the system booted up for the first time, it somehow reverted back to the old windows files were exactly where they were etc, with windows still in the old drive.I would like to ask a...
  10. Connected old SSD with windows to new PC build

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade