Windows 10: Built a new PC, but cannot activate windows

Discus and support Built a new PC, but cannot activate windows in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just built a new computer, and my old one had windows on it. I did not manage to get the product key because i thought it was the product ID which i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by XtremelyMaxxed, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Built a new PC, but cannot activate windows

I just built a new computer, and my old one had windows on it. I did not manage to get the product key because i thought it was the product ID which i now know are two separate things, and wiped my drives. My friend used a USB to put windows on this new computer, and it prompted me to sign into my account and all that stuff, which i did. At first, i thought it was fine because it didnt prompt me to activate windows, but today when i turned it on it said to activate windows. I have my product ID and even found my order number from when i bought it a few years ago, is there any way i can use those to get my full copy of windows, because i really dont want to drop $140 on windows again.

:)

XtremelyMaxxed, Dec 30, 2019
  2. th0r_23 Win User

Activation of Windows 10 on new PC

I've recently built a new computer and am trying to activate Windows 10 on it. I have a digital licence that's tied to my Microsoft account, but when I try to go through the activation steps via the "My hardware recently changed" option, it doesn't show
    my new computer on the list, though it does show the old one I'm trying to transfer the licence from. I have signed in on both with the same Microsoft account, and both are listed as devices connected to my account. I've tried signing out of my Microsoft account
    and back in on both of them, to no effect. It was a free upgrade from Windows 7, but I made sure to activate it to tie it to my account.

th0r_23, Dec 30, 2019
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Dec 30, 2019
  4. BKLB Win User

Built a new PC, but cannot activate windows

Built New PC Windows 10 Activation Failed

I recently built a new PC, complete overhaul. I was using my friends PC it came with windows 8.1 Pro, I did the free upgrade to windows 10 pro it was activated as a digital license. When I built this new PC and selected I made a hardware change recently,
    clicked my device and it says Windows was unable to activate at this time. I will list all of the solutions I tried.

-Old PC deactivate windows key through cmd prompt, New pc Activation failed.

-Showkey Plus and other key programs to unveil the key is giving me the generic Windows 10 pro key, doesn't Work.

-I don't know how to uncover the original Windows 8.1 key after upgrading it to Windows 10 pro. My friend that gave me the computer purchased a genuine version of windows 8.1 but he is unable to find the product key.

- I have tried all of the CMD prompt options slmgr / ect.. to try and find the original key, I'm unable to roll back to windows 8 to test that method on the old PC because it's past 30 days for the roll back.

- Microsoft support phone number was absolutely horrendous, I tried multiple times to fix this issue and the service rep is unable to even speak English or help me out in any way. I read online that support can fix this problem but I have yet to see any
    possible way for that to happen.

I have a few possible fixes/questions, if I hooked up my old HDD from the other computer and put it into my new one could this possibly fix my issue? If I try and hook the old computer back up with my new SDD and try and clone windows 10 pro onto the SSD
    from the HDD is that a possible fix?

thanks for the help I am really trying to get to the bottom of this as I don't want to pay 100$+ for windows when I have a genuine version of it sitting here in my old computer.

Thema:

Built a new PC, but cannot activate windows

1. Built a new PC, but cannot activate windows - Similar Threads - Built cannot activate

2. Built a new PC, destroyed my old one, cannot activate Windows 10 for my new one.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Built a new PC, destroyed my old one, cannot activate Windows 10 for my new one.: I asked what I needed to do in order to not lose my Windows license here two weeks ago. I followed instructions. I made a boot/install USB stick using my old PC beforehand.My old PC had a registered Windows 10 Home that originated from a Windows 7 storebought copy which I...
  3. Built a new PC, destroyed my old one, cannot activate Windows 10 for my new one.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Built a new PC, destroyed my old one, cannot activate Windows 10 for my new one.: I asked what I needed to do in order to not lose my Windows license here two weeks ago. I followed instructions. I made a boot/install USB stick using my old PC beforehand.My old PC had a registered Windows 10 Home that originated from a Windows 7 storebought copy which I...
  4. Built a new pc...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Built a new pc...: I built a new pc my last one had windows 10 but idk if I can transfer it or activate it thats my first question ... I heard students can get it free, as I'm currently technically in school to get my diploma/GED. Does that count? Second question. Finally, I've also browsed the...
  5. Built a new pc...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Built a new pc...: I built a new pc my last one had windows 10 but idk if I can transfer it or activate it thats my first question ... I heard students can get it free, as I'm currently technically in school to get my diploma/GED. Does that count? Second question. Finally, I've also browsed the...
  6. Built a new pc...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Built a New PC - Can't Activate Licence

Built a New PC - Can't Activate Licence: Hi All - Thanks in advance for the help! I was using my old PC with a retail version of Windows 10 installed, with activation screen stating Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to microsoft account. I have built a new PC, installed windows 10 using a USB...
  8. Built a new PC now getting Active Windows error

Built a new PC now getting Active Windows error: I recently built a new pc and transferred my SSD with Windows 10 on it to my new computer. I am now getting an Activate Windows alert. I was under the impression that I would be able to do this and just tell it that I changed hardware, but I guess something is wrong. On...
  9. Built New PC Windows 10 Activation Failed

Built New PC Windows 10 Activation Failed: I recently built a new PC, complete overhaul. I was using my friends PC it came with windows 8.1 Pro, I did the free upgrade to windows 10 pro it was activated as a digital license. When I built this new PC and selected I made a hardware change recently, clicked my device and...
  10. Built a new PC and having activation problems

Built a new PC and having activation problems: I recently built a new pc and was feeling great. I had an old windows 10 install disc so installed windows using that. The product key for that disc had been previously used so the activate windows message appeared in the bottom right corner of my monitor. I continued using...