Windows 10: Built a new PC, destroyed my old one, cannot activate Windows 10 for my new one.

Discus and support Built a new PC, destroyed my old one, cannot activate Windows 10 for my new one. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I asked what I needed to do in order to not lose my Windows license here two weeks ago. I followed instructions. I made a boot/install USB stick using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by KevlynL, Feb 7, 2023.

1. KevlynL Win User

Built a new PC, destroyed my old one, cannot activate Windows 10 for my new one.

I asked what I needed to do in order to not lose my Windows license here two weeks ago. I followed instructions. I made a boot/install USB stick using my old PC beforehand.My old PC had a registered Windows 10 Home that originated from a Windows 7 storebought copy which I upgraded over the years.My new PC has no hardware from the old one.I installed Windows 10 using the install USB.It said I had no internet access so it would a limited install. I could not gain internet access until AFTER I installed Windows, then installed the motherboard drivers MSI said you must install an OS first via th

:)

KevlynL, Feb 7, 2023
  2. Venomise Win User

Built a new PC, old activation code not working.

So long story short is that I built myself a new PC, ran a keycheck with the old one and have the activation key on hand. Yet when I attempt to activate it on my new computer via booting it from a hard drive the key isn't working. I get "this product didn't
    work, please check it and try again."

My new computer has my old hard drive in it as well, if that makes any sort of difference.

I have my version of windows 10 home and would just like a new, or swapped activation key in order to get this going.

Venomise, Feb 7, 2023
  3. th0r_23 Win User
    Activation of Windows 10 on new PC

I've recently built a new computer and am trying to activate Windows 10 on it. I have a digital licence that's tied to my Microsoft account, but when I try to go through the activation steps via the "My hardware recently changed" option, it doesn't show
    my new computer on the list, though it does show the old one I'm trying to transfer the licence from. I have signed in on both with the same Microsoft account, and both are listed as devices connected to my account. I've tried signing out of my Microsoft account
    and back in on both of them, to no effect. It was a free upgrade from Windows 7, but I made sure to activate it to tie it to my account.

th0r_23, Feb 7, 2023
  4. BKLB Win User

Built a new PC, destroyed my old one, cannot activate Windows 10 for my new one.

Built New PC Windows 10 Activation Failed

I recently built a new PC, complete overhaul. I was using my friends PC it came with windows 8.1 Pro, I did the free upgrade to windows 10 pro it was activated as a digital license. When I built this new PC and selected I made a hardware change recently,
    clicked my device and it says Windows was unable to activate at this time. I will list all of the solutions I tried.

-Old PC deactivate windows key through cmd prompt, New pc Activation failed.

-Showkey Plus and other key programs to unveil the key is giving me the generic Windows 10 pro key, doesn't Work.

-I don't know how to uncover the original Windows 8.1 key after upgrading it to Windows 10 pro. My friend that gave me the computer purchased a genuine version of windows 8.1 but he is unable to find the product key.

- I have tried all of the CMD prompt options slmgr / ect.. to try and find the original key, I'm unable to roll back to windows 8 to test that method on the old PC because it's past 30 days for the roll back.

- Microsoft support phone number was absolutely horrendous, I tried multiple times to fix this issue and the service rep is unable to even speak English or help me out in any way. I read online that support can fix this problem but I have yet to see any
    possible way for that to happen.

I have a few possible fixes/questions, if I hooked up my old HDD from the other computer and put it into my new one could this possibly fix my issue? If I try and hook the old computer back up with my new SDD and try and clone windows 10 pro onto the SSD
    from the HDD is that a possible fix?

thanks for the help I am really trying to get to the bottom of this as I don't want to pay 100$+ for windows when I have a genuine version of it sitting here in my old computer.

BKLB, Feb 7, 2023
Thema:

1. Built a new PC, destroyed my old one, cannot activate Windows 10 for my new one. - Similar Threads - Built destroyed old

2. Built a new PC, destroyed my old one, cannot activate Windows 10 for my new one.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Built a new PC, destroyed my old one, cannot activate Windows 10 for my new one.: I asked what I needed to do in order to not lose my Windows license here two weeks ago. I followed instructions. I made a boot/install USB stick using my old PC beforehand.My old PC had a registered Windows 10 Home that originated from a Windows 7 storebought copy which I...
  3. Built a new PC, destroyed my old one, cannot activate Windows 10 for my new one.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Built a new PC, destroyed my old one, cannot activate Windows 10 for my new one.: I asked what I needed to do in order to not lose my Windows license here two weeks ago. I followed instructions. I made a boot/install USB stick using my old PC beforehand.My old PC had a registered Windows 10 Home that originated from a Windows 7 storebought copy which I...
  4. Buying a new pc and giving my old one to my sister.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Buying a new pc and giving my old one to my sister.: Hello! My problem is that I'm buying a new pc which comes with a pre-installed windows 11, and I'm currently using my MS account with my current PC. I want to give this pc to my sister but she doesn't have a windows on her MS account... She might not even have an MS account...
  5. Buying a new pc and giving my old one to my sister.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Buying a new pc and giving my old one to my sister.: Hello! My problem is that I'm buying a new pc which comes with a pre-installed windows 11, and I'm currently using my MS account with my current PC. I want to give this pc to my sister but she doesn't have a windows on her MS account... She might not even have an MS account...
  6. Windows 10 activation issue: Built a new PC, transferred windows to my new PC from my old...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 activation issue: Built a new PC, transferred windows to my new PC from my old...: submitted by /u/THE_REAL_MR_BULLDOPS [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iszog5/windows_10_activation_issue_built_a_new_pc/
  7. Built a new PC and downloaded windows off of my old one onto it but can’t activate it? Need...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Built a new PC and downloaded windows off of my old one onto it but can’t activate it? Need...: My old PC came pre installed with windows and I have the product key but anytime I try to activate it using that code it says it didn’t work even though I know I’m putting it in right? Am I doing something wrong? It’s a windows 8.1, any help would be useful submitted by...
  8. Built a new PC, but cannot activate windows

Built a new PC, but cannot activate windows: I just built a new computer, and my old one had windows on it. I did not manage to get the product key because i thought it was the product ID which i now know are two separate things, and wiped my drives. My friend used a USB to put windows on this new computer, and it...
  9. My old PC died, I built a new one but how do I activate Windows 10??

My old PC died, I built a new one but how do I activate Windows 10??: Hi, My old PC died running Windows 10 Pro, So I built a new PC. How do I activate windows again???? (I haven't got the code) I can see both PC's in my devices on my account. I have tried settings>Security>Activate >troubleshooting to activate but the only device that...
  10. How to activate windows on a new PC and deactivate it on the old one

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to activate windows on a new PC and deactivate it on the old one: Hi. I've just bought a new PC. I kinda deactivated my windows on my old PC by going to the command prompt and typing in the command. Once I was installing windows on the new PC it seemed like the code worked everything was fine. But a few hours later I started seeing the...