Windows 10: Built a pc a month ago - no sound on initial windows update but now sounds work on the next...

Discus and support Built a pc a month ago - no sound on initial windows update but now sounds work on the next... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Sorry, only found out about this sub today! I wished I did so earlier because I posted a windows 10 related question to (arguably) the wrong sub,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/officetime1, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Built a pc a month ago - no sound on initial windows update but now sounds work on the next...

Sorry, only found out about this sub today!

I wished I did so earlier because I posted a windows 10 related question to (arguably) the wrong sub, anyways, this is the story...

I built a pc for a colleague about a month ago.

When I completed it, no issues. Could play the games he wanted (dota) and do the normal stuff. A few days after I built it, a windows update hits. A bit strange because I thought it was up to date. I did install from a USB when it was first built but I thought windows would just grab whatever the latest version is. No matter, we hit update and...then things go wrong.

Graphically it was fine but audio didn't work. Infact, I even saw the visual indicators in sound/volume settings showing sound is 'playing' when I run an mp3 or youtube video but it wasn't coming out of the speakers. We swapped speakers, I even tried my headphones - nothing.

A common issue with windows update was it disables sound devices under 'sound control panel'. This wasn't the case. Everything was on as it should be.

Anyways I rolled back the update and boom: everything works fine. And he goes on to use it without issues. Sadly, I didn't get the windows version number of that update.

Last week, another windows automatic update popped up for him and he installed it. The 20H2 update (yep I looked it up this time). And to my relief, everything works, audio included. So we're keeping this update.

Now, I initially thought the first update was probably buggy but according to another user windows updates can override drivers which causes issues. So what I should have done was re-install the audio drivers, rather than roll back.

Upon even further research, I found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/...y_to_stop_updates_overriding_drivers/dz4gdbs/

The user there explains that when windows is updated, it grabs drivers from the windows repository.

If this is what is happening, we add two and two together and I am guessing this is the story?

1. when I built the pc a month ago, the drivers work fine - pc runs fine.

2. when the first update hits, the drivers were overwritten with drivers incompatible to the pc. (I rolled back but I should have just re-installed the audio drivers).

3. when this newer update hits (20H2), the drivers being overwritten were compatible with the pc. Hence everything works fine.

So it sounds like between the previous update and the current 20H2 update, microsoft somehow got working drivers for the PC in question and therefore when the pc updated, there were no sound issues unlike before?

If that's the case, would it be best to just, leave everything alone? (Like I mentioned in the other thread, I'm not too keen in tinkering with the drivers of a pc thats fully working.)

submitted by /u/officetime1
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/officetime1, Mar 11, 2021
  2. Xylee Del Win User

Hdmi sound not working

Hi Peter,

One possible reason why the HDMI sound does not work is due to the conflicts with the playback settings. For us to help you make the HDMI sound to work, we suggest that you answer the following questions for further research:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer?
    • What is the current build and version of your Windows 10?
    • Have you tried to download and install the most updated sound and display driver of your computer?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps on this
    article
    as our initial troubleshooting and see if there will be any changes on the HDMI sound.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Xylee Del, Mar 11, 2021
  3. sound not working

Hello Austin,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Method 1:

Hardware Troubleshoot

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Sound. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Audio.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the playing Audio troubleshooter.

Method 2:

Sound problems can be caused by cables that aren't connected properly, damaged drivers, incompatible drivers, sound settings, missing updates, and problems with your sound card.

I request you to follow the below steps:

Step 1: Uninstall the Sound card Drivers

• Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.
    • Click on “Device Manager” from that list.
    • Search for the Sound driver from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then
      remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and the restart the computer if prompted.

After the restart, please go ahead with the next steps to install the latest drivers and check if that resolves the issue.

Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website.

Step 2: Go to the Computer or Sound Card manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers available for the Sound Card model and then install it by following the instructions given in the website.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Mar 11, 2021
  4. Built a pc a month ago - no sound on initial windows update but now sounds work on the next...

Sound not working after an update

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I request you to try the below methods:

Method 1:

Hardware Troubleshoot

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Sound. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Audio.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the playing Audio troubleshooter.

Method 2:

Sound problems can be caused by cables that aren't connected properly, damaged drivers, incompatible drivers, sound settings, missing updates, and problems with your sound card.

I request you to follow the below steps:

Step 1: Uninstall the Sound card Drivers

• Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.
    • Click on “Device Manager” from that list.
    • Search for the Sound driver from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then
      remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and the restart the computer if prompted.

After the restart, please go ahead with the next steps to install the latest drivers and check if that resolves the issue.

Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website.

Step 2: Go to the Computer or Sound Card manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers available for the Sound Card model and then install it by following the instructions given in the website.

I also request you to follow the below article:

Fix sound problems

Fix sound problems in Windows 10

I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Mar 11, 2021
Thema:

Built a pc a month ago - no sound on initial windows update but now sounds work on the next...

1. Built a pc a month ago - no sound on initial windows update but now sounds work on the next... - Similar Threads - Built month ago

2. Just built a computer a month ago and running into BSODs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Just built a computer a month ago and running into BSODs: Hello,I built my computer a month ago and I haven't had any problem playing games such as Battlefield 2 and Hogwarts Legacy.However, since I started playing Plane Zoo this weekend, I've been getting a loop/cycle of BSOD. At first, the game crashed and my very first BSOD...
  3. Just built a computer a month ago and running into BSODs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Just built a computer a month ago and running into BSODs: Hello,I built my computer a month ago and I haven't had any problem playing games such as Battlefield 2 and Hogwarts Legacy.However, since I started playing Plane Zoo this weekend, I've been getting a loop/cycle of BSOD. At first, the game crashed and my very first BSOD...
  4. Monitor built-in HDMI Sound device not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor built-in HDMI Sound device not work: Hi, I connected my monitor using HDMI cabble to windows 10The driver is up to date, the device is detected. I have enabled my device, and the sound graphic is worked when the sound is played, but still, no sound output is heard. When I use external speaker, is work, only an...
  5. Monitor built-in HDMI Sound device not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor built-in HDMI Sound device not work: Hi, I connected my monitor using HDMI cabble to windows 10The driver is up to date, the device is detected. I have enabled my device, and the sound graphic is worked when the sound is played, but still, no sound output is heard. When I use external speaker, is work, only an...
  6. Monitor built-in HDMI Sound device not work

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Built in sound not working anymore, PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Built in sound not working anymore, PLEASE HELP: So I was playing a game while watching videos. No headphones, no nothing. Suddenly my sound cuts off. I check my speaker options and the built in speaker option is no longer there, only two others that I currently can't access. I restarted my computer multiple times, and...
  8. PC sound not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC sound not working: Since the last Windows update, the sound in my PC is not working. Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-sound-not-working/b7658aff-19f1-4ed6-aabc-981289b8b619
  9. :Ost my 5.1 sound with an update months ago

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    :Ost my 5.1 sound with an update months ago: Lost my 5.1 sound with an update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ost-my-51-sound-with-an-update-months-ago/36d6ce14-08f0-459b-8aef-0dbdad70a551
  10. Pc sound not working after a update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc sound not working after a update: I went to shower and as i came back my computer was updating. I wasn't fazed as i do have auto updates on but when i turned my laptop back on there was no audio of any kind. None through my headphones nor my speakers. I'm in the middle of something very important and need my...