Windows 10: Built-In Admin Issue

Discus and support Built-In Admin Issue in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello, I recently encountered an issue while cleaning my mother's pc. She has a win 10 home hp laptop, with her own profile as administrator; and... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Kaos1794, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Kaos1794 Win User

Built-In Admin Issue

Hello, I recently encountered an issue while cleaning my mother's pc. She has a win 10 home hp laptop, with her own profile as administrator; and somehow while resetting the pc to restore some files lost in a power outage, I managed to turn on the built-in admin profile.

I went through all of the steps to disable the profile through cmd but it only gave me more problems. Upon rebooting, I got the message: User account is disabled, please see your system administrator. I click ok, and my mother's profile pops up like it normally would. I go into cmd with admin privileges, and repeat with no success. I try for amusement the opposite: net user administrator /active:yes and reboot. Now I have 2 admin profiles, that both pop up with incorrect password prompts.

I can still log into my mother's account after clicking ok, but it would be nice to have this fixed. I've spent hours googling on how to fix this and found nothing, microsoft is less than helpful about things and often repeats information that is not needed.

To be clear: For some reason the built-in admin will not disappear, despite everything I do, and now having seen 2 accounts, I am leaning towards this being a registry error. Lusrmgr.msc is not available in her edition of win 10 or I would have tried that too. Any help would be awesome, I'll even take wiping the computer clean as long as I can restore her profile and hers only.

Thanks in advance - Cole

:)

Kaos1794, Feb 7, 2016

2. The built in Admin

I'm using Windows 10 Pro. And I will try resetting. Thanks.

aciddragon, Feb 7, 2016
  3. The built in Admin

Typical noob response. You are the one with the problem and you give attitude?

You are on your own

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Feb 7, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Built-In Admin Issue

The first thing I would do is create a brand new local user and change that account type to administrator. Log into the new user account and see if you can then disable the built-in administrator account.

You can also try this:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

The easy way to accomplish the in place upgrade repair install is just to click the upgrade now button:
    Windows 10

NavyLCDR, Feb 7, 2016
  5. Kaos1794 Win User
    Thanks for your quick reply, I have tried that option as well :/. I created a dummy admin for myself, and attempted the command again; all cmd commands complete successfully, and besides the login screen, there is no evidence of the admin being active. It's like the built-in cloned itself when I hit the reset button. Is there a way to backup a single profile and then restore that to a computer that has a fresh install on it? For some reason I am only able to make system image, I don't believe that would help me

Kaos1794, Feb 7, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Try Win+R to bring up run dialog. Run netplwiz. See if the extra admin account is listed in there and if you can delete it from there. I don't know of a way to back up just a user account to restore to a new install. You can back up their folder under users and then copy files back into a new account.

NavyLCDR, Feb 7, 2016
  7. Kaos1794 Win User
    Ok, I will try that. If I copy the the user folder for my mother's account, can I just drag and drop after I re-install? I have tried removing the admin profile but I get the error: can not remove built in profiles or something like that.

Kaos1794, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Built-In Admin Issue

1. Built-In Admin Issue - Similar Threads - Built Admin Issue

2. admin issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    admin issues: admin issiues https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/admin-issues/bd5c66bc-0802-4b80-ae02-744314bae7fd
  3. Admin issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Admin issues: Hey in my settings in my storage it says a admin has disabled storage service on this system but im the only account on the computer and i haven't made any changes. thanks in advanced....
  4. Admin issues

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Admin issues: My 6-month old PC running Windows10 will not allow me to access most of the files on my external hard drive, saying I do not have permission. Windows 7 on my laptop allows me access. These are my files, I created them, I am the owner and I want to be able to use them. So...
  5. Built In admin account's SID is blank.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Built In admin account's SID is blank.: Using windows 10, and recently renamed the built in admin account by using the command lusrmgr.msc. After renaming the account i pressed refresh and closed the window. The next time when i run the same command lusrmgr.msc and click on users, I get an error saying that there...
  6. Should one rename the built-in Admin and the built-in Guest accounts

Should one rename the built-in Admin and the built-in Guest accounts: From a security standpoint, should one rename the built-in Admin and the built-in Guest accounts even if they are disabled by default? During Windows 10 installation, I already created my own Admin account which is named something else other than Administrator. But the...
  7. admin issue

admin issue: Why is it that I changed my account type is to admin and I still do not have admin privileges? And when I set up this computer it automatically made a local account w/o me realizing there's more than 1 user.........
  8. built-in admin account problem

built-in admin account problem: i have a clean install of windows 10 pro, before i had a windows 7 and was using the built-in administrator account without problems. now in windows 10 i'm using the built in administrator account but facing problems 1) if i leave the "security settings==>local...
  9. Domain admin account as built-in admin account

Domain admin account as built-in admin account: I just upgraded two brand new pc's from Win 7 to Win 10. Computers were already added to the domain in Win 7 and I was logged into the domain administrator account when I did the upgrade to Win 10. Now when I am logged in with the domain administrator account, I can't open...
  10. Issue with 1511 clean installs: built-in Admin can't run apps

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue with 1511 clean installs: built-in Admin can't run apps: I just performed a clean install of 1511 on a machine that refused to update. The install went fine. However, I noticed the following curious thing: when I invoke context menu on the desktop and choose "Display settings" or "Personalize" commands under the built-in...